Computer Help forum

General discussion

Make a temporary directory (?)

by cixchic / August 10, 2005 11:57 AM PDT

IBM has a BIOS update for my Thinkpad T20. THe instructions said to "Make a temporary directory (for instance, C:\Temp) on the hard disk drive." I downloaded and saved it to a folder on my desktop. Did I follow these directions correctly? If not, please instruct on how to create such a directory.

Thank you in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Make a temporary directory (?)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Make a temporary directory (?)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Most software programs
by TONI H / August 10, 2005 12:13 PM PDT

need a location for their setup files to extract to temporarily. Since this program is telling you to create the folder ahead of time, I'm assuming it's for the setup files when you run the program later. Normally windows defaults to having the folder be in the Windows directory/folder for versions other than XP, so that one is already in place.

Go to Windows Explorer, highlight the C: drive and click File/New/Folder and name the new folder TEMP then do this step again to create one called TMP just in case the program looks for that folder as well.

I usually create those two folders on my harddrive out of habit now so I avoid error messages during installations since I never know what folder the author will be using. I make them available ahead of time so it can take its pick.

TONI

Collapse -
It all worked out
by cixchic / August 10, 2005 12:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Most software programs

So I did some research on my own...I was correct. What TONI suggested and what I did was essentially the same thing. Thank you for your advise. I successfully updated my BIOS Codes. I even fixed the restart problem I was having. I forgot to mention that I'm running Win98 on my ThinkPad, but it's all gravy, because everything is cool. Thanks Again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.