Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

MAJOR iPod touch album art problems-no fixes anywhere

by dell_dude3449 / February 26, 2008 12:51 PM PST

I have been using my ipod touch 16gb(running 1.1.3/4 w. software upgrade, not jailbroken) since Christmas and for the most part I love it. Today, however, the coverflow on the ipod started mixing up the album art, even though it was all correctly placed on EVERY SINGLE SONG on iTunes. An example of the problem: I am browsing through the cover flow, and I see ABBA's Gold album a couple albums away. I then scroll to this album to center it, and it reads Abba Gold at the bottom, and has all of the abba songs when viewing the song list, but the picture has all of a sudden changed to 3 doors down citizen soldier. Also, in some cases, when I select and play a song, and go back to the default upright music playback screen, it will show a different(also wrong) album art image. One way I have found that sometimes fixes the problems is to delete the album artwork in itunes, sync the art-less tracks onto the ipod, then replace the art and sync the tracks back to the ipod. The problem with this is it only works sometimes, and, over the multiple syncs i have done in the last few hours, some of them have undone themselves. Also, some change just in the cover flow and are fine in the playback screen, and some of the artists/albums were not affected at all.
Other non-related problems i have had(both fixed by a simple twist to vertical and back) are pixelated and missing album artwork. Keep in mind that throughout all of the problems mentioned in this post, the artwork on all songs in itunes was perfectly correct. Anyone else had this problem and fixed it, or seen a fix somewhere else?
Thanks in advance!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MAJOR iPod touch album art problems-no fixes anywhere
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MAJOR iPod touch album art problems-no fixes anywhere
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you just tell me you are torquing the unit?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2008 7:22 PM PST

I'd run back to the counter and get the unit replaced under warranty.

Collapse -
twisting/ipod software restore
by dell_dude3449 / February 26, 2008 11:07 PM PST

Sorry, I should have used the term rotating the unit horizontal to vertical rather than twisting. Do you think maybe a system restore for the ipod would fix this? And, if I did restore the ipod, would it remove the software upgrade I bought recently? I want to try to get it working again, so I don't have to take it back to the store if possible.
Thanks

Collapse -
My software upgrade cost me nothing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2008 12:05 AM PST

Are you in some non-US, non-Canada land where such costs money?

Collapse -
Continental U.S.
by dell_dude3449 / February 27, 2008 12:31 AM PST

I purchased the $20 upgrade that included the Maps, Weather, Stocks, Mail, and Notes applications. If I have to restore the ipod from itunes, I would like to keep the software I purchased, and not have to live without it or pay for it again. I don't know anything about restoring it with the receipt that was emailed to me.

Collapse -
For me, not an issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2008 12:40 AM PST
In reply to: Continental U.S.

I have 3 Apple stores within 30 minutes here. I'd call them and ask directly.

Collapse -
another fix?
by dell_dude3449 / February 27, 2008 12:51 AM PST
In reply to: For me, not an issue.

Since clearing the album art one the problem album seems so fix this temporarily, I was thinking of just clearing teh art on my entire collection, syncing them on blank, then restoring all the art and syncing again. This would be time consuming, but since I have less than 600 songs at the moment, it wouldn't be too bad. Do you think this would work?
Oh, and by the way, I do not live especially near to an apple store, so exchanging it is a last resort, as I have a busy schedule and don't really have time to take a trip up to the apple store. It's not on the way to anywhere I go on a regular basis either.

Collapse -
Just sync'd my old 20GB ipod.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2008 1:19 AM PST
In reply to: another fix?

It did it as I went for coffee (had to grind it, wait for the machine,etc...) As to the Apple store, I call them when I don't want to make a trip to ask a question.

Collapse -
I Fixed It!!!!
by dell_dude3449 / February 28, 2008 11:54 AM PST

Yesterday morning, I fixed the problem without calling the Apple store or anyone at all. I am posting this so if anyone else has this problem, then they can fix it easily like I did. For those who are curious, at the moment I am using a Compaq V6000 laptop running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, and iTunes 7.6.1.9.
First, I tried clearing all the art from all the music in my collection, syncing it in blank, then restoring it and syncing again, and that did absolutely nothing.
Then, I struck gold. I tried, as my last effort before calling for help, telling iTunes to sync only a newly created blank playlist onto the iPod, ans nothing else, leaving no music whatsoever on it. Then, I set it back to sync all the music in my collection back again, and, when it was restored to the device, it worked perfectly, and is still working(as of now).
I hope this helps anyone else out there who may be having this specific problem, and I thank the contributor(s) to this thread for their support.

Collapse -
You nailed it!!!
by mrenko / May 6, 2008 10:00 AM PDT
In reply to: I Fixed It!!!!

After searching the web for many days, I came across your post and I tried exactly what you said. It worked perfectly.

Thanks!!!

Collapse -
Just Makin Sure ........
by Vibex08 / August 22, 2008 4:59 AM PDT

Hey Dude , It appears that i recently encountered the same problem where the artwork is mixing up for some of the tracks , when i Read your "I Fixed It " post , I Didnt Really get it , Like , you meant , just remove all my Tracks , Sync The Ipod , put the tracks back , and re-sync , i mean , no artwork re-assigning or something ???? , please Reply

Thank You
VibeX08

Collapse -
thank you!
by guitarsurf / August 24, 2008 11:12 PM PDT

This has been bugging me for over a week since I upgraded my touch to 2.0 and your answer was the solution! thank you so much for sharing your findings! Hopefully installing 2.0.2 won't ruin everything again!!!

And to help the previous poster... There is no need to reassign artwork. I created a blank playlist. plugged in the ipod and deleted the previous music. in the 'music' tab for the ipod I clicked 'sync ipod' and selected only the new blank playlist. then I unplugged it. next time I plugged it in I selected the correct playlist to sync and unselected the blank one. huzzah! Grin

Collapse -
SOLVED: Album Art problems on the iPod Touch
by scaifeaa / August 25, 2008 4:33 AM PDT

There are a number of reasons why you are having problems with your album art, there are a number of solutions here: http://ipod-magic.110mb.com/album-art.php

Good Luck

Collapse -
This might work.
by Sciman3 / August 30, 2008 12:40 PM PDT

Hey,

if you jail break your ipod (I reccomend winpwn (for windows)), and tehn install Bosstool, there is a part of that tool that is designed to essentially format the partition that holds the music. It is for getting rid of stuck videos, ones that won't delete, but it may solve the problem.

Hope that helps someone.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.