Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Mail Merge only grabs 1st page of excel file

by dCollie / December 17, 2005 5:18 AM PST

When I execute a mail merge using Word (Word 2003) and an Excel file, the mail merge wizard creates the first page only. Any idea what I'm doing wrong or what I could be doing to get all of the addresses merged onto labels?
Thanks
Dale

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mail Merge only grabs 1st page of excel file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mail Merge only grabs 1st page of excel file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First mistake: Using Excel
by abcdefg007 / December 17, 2005 6:07 AM PST

Many, MANY people seem to think that spreadsheets are to be used as databases, and it rarely ends up working out well. Spreadsheets, for future reference, are for doing calculations and data manipulation.

While it doesn't help this particular problem, it might help head off future repeats. I would personally save the Excel file as a CSV file or some such, and then import it into an Access database. Then use the Access database to feed the mail merge. If I were doing it a lot, I'd set up a proper SQL database server like MySQL, and keep all the contact info in there. It'd be a lot faster and flexible then a flat Excel file.

Collapse -
Saving Excel as csv file
by dCollie / December 17, 2005 8:02 AM PST

OK .. Thanks for the idea. As I try to impliment your suggestion, I find that csv is not a file type available when I hit save as on the Excel spreadsheet.

I can save it as an XML spreadsheet, SML Data, Webpage, template, etc, but I don't know how to save it as csv file if it doesn't come up automatically.

I'd appreciate another tip on this if you have that info, and I'd be happy to learn about MySQL ... where do I start?

Thanks
dale

Collapse -
Just a link for review.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2005 8:11 AM PST
Collapse -
Merge Excel into Windows Labels
by dCollie / December 18, 2005 10:11 PM PST

Here's how you get past showing/printing only one page. The following comes from a Microsoft Windows article:

To preview (print) your mailing labels by using the Mail Merge task pane, click Next: Preview your labels

The Preview feature in the Mail Merge Wizard is designed to show only one page at a time.

To see all your labels, and make any required changes before you print the merged document, click Edit individual labels.

This merges all your addresses to a new document that will contain all your labels. You can see them on the screen (your page count in the task bar will show how many pages of labels will be required) ...

Save this as a word document and then print onto your labels. Most of Windows instructions are ready for the general public, but the geeks still need some feed back to make things ready for those of us who are not digitally intuitive.

Thanks to everyone for your help on this. I couldn't have done it without the forum.

Collapse -
The info here is vague
by Hantakira / June 23, 2010 5:11 AM PDT

Just to be super clear - the mail merge PREVIEW only shows the first page. When you complete the merge you may then select "edit individual labels" and this will allow you to see the whole merge. I know, it is super confusing - microsquish should work on it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.