Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

MagicJack installation problems -- here's a great fix!

by botalo2008 / November 16, 2008 12:52 PM PST

I have a Toshiba Satellite with a TSST corp CD/DVDW TS-L632D ATA Device and a Vista 32 bit operating system. I tried to install MagicJack but I kept having problems with the installation. I spent hours with MagicJack's tech support trying to figure the problem out and register my phone. I thought the unit was defective but it was not.

While I was poking around with Tech Support on the phone, I went to "CONTROL PANEL" and then "DEVICE MANAGER" and noticed that my CD/DVD ROM had two errors; one indicated that my CD Rom was no good, and the other said that TigerJet, the MagicJack USB box, also had a problem.

I pulled the MagicJack device out and looked for a solution to my CD/DVD drive problem. To my utter surprise, once I fixed the drive issue, the MagicJack problem disappeared as well.

Here is the solution page:;posts#2561947

Once you do will be able to install the MagicJack unit without problems and your CD/DVD drive will work swimmingly well.

Thanks Shep_UK on CNET for this great fix.

Good Luck...

by shep_uk - 8/13/07 12:08 PM In reply to: Windows Vista, Limewire, and CD/DVD drive problem??? by katzmusik

Same problem, same hardware... here's how I solved it:

The fault is (apparently) caused by 3rd party CD-burning software installing invalid/faulty "filters" on top of your basic CD drivers. When these go wrong, windows has problems starting the driver successfully.

Fortunately, you can get rid of these filters with a quick registry edit:

1. Run regedit

2. Navigate to the following key:

3. Delete the "UpperFilters" entry

4. Delete the "LowerFilters" entry

5. Close regedit

6. Reboot your machine

Voila! - your drive should be back Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MagicJack installation problems -- here's a great fix!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MagicJack installation problems -- here's a great fix!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MagicJack Install Problem on XP
by eltronik / December 9, 2008 12:08 PM PST

I have a Dell running XP Pro. I had install problem with MagicJ also. Tech support could not figure it out.
Computer would stall or freeze during install attempts and would not see the USB drive. Nothing helped, even the Upgrade was no good.
I tried Shep_UK's fix and IT WORKED !.. Thx A LOT...

Collapse -
This fix worked perfectly
by jeffgk2 / December 17, 2008 3:09 PM PST

Toshiba Satellite M35X-S149 Notebook w/ Windows XP Home SP2. This fixed both the MagicJack problem and a dead CD/RW drive. Both MJ and CD drive work great now. A huge thanks! Never would have figured that out on my own! jeffgk2

Collapse -
magicjack problem
by roypaul / February 20, 2009 9:46 AM PST

I used my magicjack fairly well for one month. But now a warning messages comes plug the magicjack into usb. I even upgraded the software from the sight. Even then the warning message is there and cannot acces the magick jack and there is no menu screen comes.Evewn in my computer the icon of magic jac changed to an ordinary drive. I tried to format it. then it says there is no disk in it. Can anyone help to solve the problem

Collapse -
call forwarding w/MJ
by snorlatorium / April 22, 2009 3:39 AM PDT
In reply to: magicjack problem

HP pavillion a424x on DSL. The problem I'm having with my MJ is when I have "call forwarding" enabled. When someone calls my MJ number and I'm not there, they don't hear the phone ring on their end and think something's wrong and hang up. They have to wait until the MJ phone is done ringing before the call is forwarded and they hear the ring. If I try calling my home number with the MJ, and I'm using the cell phone that MJ is supposed to forward to, I get 2 beeps and a hangup. Any ideas?

Collapse -
Re: Your MagicJack Problem
by taultales / May 10, 2010 5:22 AM PDT

Everything you said was what I went through. My system is Windows XP. While talking online to a tech, s/he gave me two was uninstall and the other reinstall. After I uninstalled it and then reinstalled it, there was no problem. Here is the link I was given to remove it:

Here is the link I was given to reinstall it:

I don't know if these links will work for just anyone or they were specifically for my computer/problem. It may help to first go to their website at and scroll almost to the bottom where you will see "Customer Care/Live Agent" click that link and ask the tech about uninstalling your MJ and then reinstalling it. If that tech does not have links available for you, disconnect and find a tech that knows what s/he is doing.

Collapse -
RE: My Magik Jack Problem
by taultales / August 5, 2010 10:12 AM PDT

I wanted to thank you for the uninstall and install links. I had to finally get an external USP Port to plug it into instead of my computer. I'm not sure that's the correct name for the product I bought but that is what I had to do.

Collapse -
There is a new problem with magicJack, got a warning
by Darrell / October 16, 2010 4:15 AM PDT

Said: "Do not install IE9 Beta, it will crash your magicJack." Good is that they are aware of this and they may have a solution when IE9 comes out of Beta. Darrell

Collapse -
Magic Jack
by yeshuachi / October 1, 2010 6:41 PM PDT

My Magic Jack also started doing this last month. I spent hours with the techs. The next thing that will happen after they fix it a couple of time is disconnect you. They discontinued our service today even though we are paid for another 5 years. Of course they don't give refunds. Their reason for this is we used it too much. Your calls are not unlimited. Quite simply the problem is not your computer or your unit. It is on their end.

Collapse -
MajicJack install problem on WinXP
by Rick75230 / June 5, 2009 3:46 PM PDT

Deleting those registry keys fixed the problem on my installation too. Thanks--I would never have guessed that. In my case the problem appears to be InCD. I think that is part of Nero, and allows a CD-R/W to be used like extra memory.

Collapse -
Further help
by dalebow2213 / June 27, 2009 10:59 AM PDT

So do you mean your fix worked with InCD as well or that you had cannot work MagicJack WITH InCD? Thanks.

Collapse -
Fix for all magic jack's.
by giyates / July 18, 2009 12:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Further help

I solved all my issues just by created a new user account and I named it magic jack and I'm on. Sound is very nice you would think I was on my land line. This should work for everyone. Goldie.

Collapse -
(NT) There is a new problem with magicJack, got a warning [above]
by Darrell / October 16, 2010 4:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
Shep's MJ Fix Worked for Me Also
by jayfchan / June 28, 2009 3:32 PM PDT

HP Pavilion A6373L running Windows Vista Pro.

After having a MJ unit that worked fine for many months, mine in recent months started having trouble being recognized when I plugged it in. I'd get the red warning MJ window, you need to plug in your unit, when in fact it was plugged in.

I spent hours online with MJ tech support, and they ran me up and down every tweak and fix under the sun, and none of them solved the problem.

Then today, searching online, I found the regedit solution posted by Shep above and did it on my PC. Immediately after restarting my PC, my MJ unit was recognized and came up fine.

It's hard to say for sure, but it's possible the timing of my MJ problem coincided with me installing Nero's InCD Reader program on my PC. I'd had the Nero Suite on my PC before, then got fed up and uninstalled it. But later found I still had InCD formatted DVD-RWs I needed to read. So instead of re-installed Nero's bloated suite, I just installed their free InCD Reader software. Looking back, that was around the time I started having MJ problems...

Collapse -
Possible Fix for Using Nero OR MagicJack
by DaveMiko / July 17, 2009 12:57 PM PDT

Possible Fix for Using Nero OR MagicJack

Here are links leading to a fix that worked for me when my MagicJack stopped working,
after I purchased a Gear Head SlimLine external USB DVD-RW / CD-RW drive,
to go with a NetBook PC, and installed the bundled Nero 7 Essentials software.
This gives a way to use either MagicJack OR Nero and DVD/CD-burner,
though not at the same time, WITHOUT uninstalling Nero.
(Basically, cannot use Nero and MagicJack at same time.)

You should first verify that the Registry Key exists
using the info from Shep_UK's posting in the cnet links above.
If the key value "UpperFilters" and/or "LowerFilters" exists, read on;
if not, this fix probably won't work for you.

Then Export the key from within regedit [ Start | Run | regedit ], (as a .reg text file),
so that you can re-import it if something goes wrong
(either by double-clicking on the .reg file, or by importing key from within regedit).

To make it easy to use either MagicJack or the CD-burning software/hardware,
but NOT both at the same time, I made these 2 batch files (work with XP; Vista may be different).
I used the REG.EXE command that is included in Windows XP,
so that these changes can be implemented in a Batch (.Bat) file; double click on file to run.

If there is a "LowerFilters" Value entry, be sure to include the second line in the Batch file.
NOTE: Can have the second line, even if value does not exist; if the value doesn't exist, no problem).

Using a Text Editor (NotePad),
create the following Batch (Text only) files:

1. File named:
with these 2 single lines of text (each line starting with REG.EXE, all text on one line):
REG.EXE DELETE HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} /v UpperFilters
REG.EXE DELETE HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} /v LowerFilters

2. File named:
Using this single line of text AS A GUIDE (your entry or entries after the /d switch will/may vary,
depending on your bundled hardware/software):
REG.EXE ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} /v UpperFilters /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d GEARAspiWDM\0InCDPass\0incdrm\0

If you had a LowerFilters Key Value in this Registry Key,
you will need to ADD a second REG.EXE ADD line to the Batch file,
with a /v LowerFilters /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d ...... entry.

REG.EXE notes:

REG.EXE DELETE to delete a key value
First entry after DELETE is the KEY;
entry after /v switch is the Key VALUE.
(From a Command line [ Start | Run | cmd ],
type reg /? for general help/syntax or
type reg delete /? for REG DELETE syntax.)

REG.EXE ADD to add a value to a Key
First entry after ADD is the KEY;
entry after /v switch is the Key VALUE;
entry after /t switch is the key value TYPE (as shown in regedit);
entry after /d switch is the Key Value DATA.
(From a Command line [ Start | Run | cmd ],
type reg /? for general help/syntax or
type reg add /? for REG ADD syntax.)

Note, for DATA:
In regedit, if you right-click on the Key Value and select Modify,
you will notice that the Value data my be on multiple lines.
For the /d switch entry,
use the data on each of these Value data lines, followed by \0;
be sure to also include the \0 after the Value data of the last line.

Now to make it easy to run each file,
copy the 2 batch files:
to the
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
(In Vista, I believe it is the
C:\Users\All Users\Desktop
Folder, but don't quote me (not a Vista User).

Before plugging in MagicJack, (and DVD/CD burner unplugged or not using Nero)
double click on
Plug in MagicJack, and device and app should load.

Before plugging in DVD/CD burner or using Nero (and MagicJack unplugged)
double click on
Plug in burner (or use Nero).

Hope this helps!

Collapse -
Possible Fix for Using Roxio - Sonic OR MagicJack
by DaveMiko / July 18, 2009 4:46 AM PDT

This fix also worked to make MagicJack work on a Dell Laptop,
running Roxio/Sonic CD-DVD burning Software.

REG.EXE DELETE HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} /v UpperFilters
REG.EXE DELETE HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} /v LowerFilters

REG.EXE ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} /v UpperFilters /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d incdrm\0Cdralw2k\0
REG.EXE ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} /v LowerFilters /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d PxHelp20\0drvmcdb\0cdrbsdrv\0bpflt\0DLACDBHM\0Cdr4_xp\0

Collapse -
Magic Jack Fixes and Myths - THIS IS THE REAL DEAL
by Hikiate / September 7, 2009 2:46 AM PDT

Upgraded Software
Hot Fix
Cut holes in your router firewall
Reformatted MJ from My Computer (go to Task manager>services>end process for anything saying ?MJ? or Magic Jack. My Computer and right click both Magic Jack Icons and Choose Format-NOT YOUR ?C? DRIVE or EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES!!!!!)
Had MJ Customer Service reformat my drive remotely
Scan and Fix ? Do this when it pops up
Vista Right-Click ?My Computer?>advanced settings>Advanced>performance> settings>Advanced>virtual Memory>Custom Size>set both boxes to ?recommended (see below boxes)?; Reboot

Background is favored (performance settings)
Switched UBS jacks
Tried different phones
Disconnected Virus (in most cases)
Made a trusted site
Rebooted Router
Replaced physical Magic Jack at my expense (in most cases)
Write Dan an evil letter
Made MJ a high priority (slows do the computer and MJ boot)
Tried using extension cord; not using it
Tried using powered hub, and without

Collapse -
If upgrade not work
by omairhe / August 5, 2010 9:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
Magig Jack Problems
by taultales / August 5, 2010 10:19 AM PDT
In reply to: If upgrade not work

Thank you for replying. I read in another response that Magig Jack servers were down. I copied and pasted the upgrade link you sent and will try it again tonight.

Collapse -
First link not working;
by omairhe / September 19, 2010 1:35 PM PDT
In reply to: If upgrade not work

Hello, i feel bad my first link is lost. Uploading it again.

Here's the new link.

hope it solves the issue. Magicjack will try to update this software as it has become old now. No harm in updating it. I heard there are some issues with nero burning software and magicjack. A registry fix or even un-installing nero fixes it, well thats another story.

1. Disconnect magicjack from computer and Restart computer.
2. Paste the xp files in 2 seperate folders mentioned in the text file.(just in case you should backup old ones if already exist)
3. plug-in magicjack.

Collapse -
In case you are real pissed off at Dan (Magic Jack/YMAX)
by Hikiate / September 7, 2009 3:04 AM PDT

Public Relations for magicJack LP
Kari Hernandez, 512-382-8982

Collapse -
Using Skype and magicJack at the same time.
by williamswarmgun / October 29, 2009 12:43 AM PDT

Im using an emachines EL1300G-02w, with XP home. And The Skype told me it could not run with magicjack installed. I lost the fight and skype was deleted.
Is there not anyway I can run the two at the same time. I do a lot
of online gaming and Skype is what I need. But we need a phone service also. Help?

Collapse -
Thanx a million, It worked like a charm!
by kayladorg / January 14, 2010 5:49 PM PST

by shep_uk - 8/13/07 12:08 PM In reply to: Windows Vista, Limewire, and CD/DVD drive problem??? by katzmusik
I cannot believe that this is 2010 and the people in Majic Jack's tech support does not know about this fix to a common problem. I have spent so much darn time with them online and they kept telling me to reformat, change this and that... even when the damn thing was hanging my pc. Thanx again to Shep_UK for posting this great and very simple fix. I am running Vista on an Acer Laptop.

Collapse -
install problems
by lauriesartwork / June 10, 2010 3:31 PM PDT

I clearly remember reading that the magic jack does not work with satellite dish internet. that might be the problem.

Collapse -
MajicJack Problem (switching Laptops)
by razviam / June 20, 2010 8:53 AM PDT

Recently I switched Laptops, for some strange reason on my new Toshiba Satellite I can make/receive call only using Headphones. On Dell Latitude I was able to initiate/receive call on my regular phone.

I have checked various Audio/Sound setting - nothing is disabled or turned off.

1. Both Human Interface drivers are installed under
Human Interface Devices (no problem)

2. Realtek High Definition Audio installed under
Sounds, Video game Controller (no Problem)

3. Toshiba SW Modem (Agere)

Device Manager shows 2 unknown Devices and one undefined device named SM Bus Controller.

repeated attempt to open magicfix failed.

PS. the most wierd part is that even my IE8 browser would not open the website.

any help would be appreciated!

I have WinXP professional DVD CD-RW (no CD burning SW etc..)

Collapse -
MagicJack support website doesn't open
by Farook_k / July 9, 2010 1:56 AM PDT

I have the same problem that after plugging in the magic jack to the USB port, it shows downloading software but for some reason gives a message that "magic jack could not locate internet"

i tried all 3 USB ports on my laptop, i even tried other sites during this time and was able to browse seamlessly.
i even lowered the security of my IE8 but didn't help.

any clue to this problem.

Collapse -
Reg edit fixed my problems with the usb port too
by smitw123 / August 3, 2010 2:56 PM PDT

I was unable to download my photos, the computer would install drivers for my camera every time I tried to connect it, but then nothing would happen. I did what the tip said and now my camera downloads fine.

Collapse -
My magic jack ne fonctione pas depuis hier sa fe paser plus
by Jean Npel Nicolas / September 19, 2010 4:52 AM PDT

Je veux la resoudre le probleme qui a rive a ma propre magic jack.

Collapse -
botalo2008 - THANKS!
by psptina / September 26, 2010 2:11 PM PDT

We spent 1/2 day searching and reading "could be"'s until we were ready to throw the thing out. Your regedit worked like a champ. Thanks so much! Reading on now about the Nero fix.

Collapse -
No upper filter key strings found
by davy08 / October 23, 2010 10:23 PM PDT

Went into regedit to find the upper filters for deletion & could not see it. Has the lower filters though.
Didn't want to delete the lower filters till I resolved the upper filters first.
Any futhur support would be nice to help resolve my (code)19 in device manager for all my usb ports listed as follows:
USB MajicJack-Code19
USB CF Reader-Code19
USB MS Reader-Code19
USB SD Reader-Code19
USB SM Reader-Code19
Running: Window's Vista Home Premium 64 bit
HP: 6437A Desktop with Intel CPU Dual core
MB: Foxconn
Grafhics: Nvidia

Collapse -
Re: deleting
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 23, 2010 10:31 PM PDT

If you have to delete 2 things, and one of those is already gone, why not delete the other one and see what happens?
If unsure, export them first, so you can import them again if necessary.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.