Peripherals forum

General discussion

magicJack

by theimpaler15 / May 30, 2008 1:51 AM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: magicJack
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: magicJack
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
magicJack Hints
by drbray / December 18, 2008 11:18 AM PST
In reply to: magicJack

MagicJack

Collapse -
Magic Jack works very well
by watayno / March 8, 2009 12:58 PM PDT
In reply to: magicJack Hints

I've had MJ for a few months and use it for any kind of out of area code calling, outbound almost exclusively. Never had a problem. Only thing is, my called party on a couple occasions said my voice was a little faint. That's it. Set up was easy, just register when first plugging into usb. It might be worth mentioning that I am very familiar with computers so set up was easy but I don't see anyone having a problem - very straightforward. Voicemail gets sent to my email inbox and I listen to it there. Sound quality is not bad, not perfect but listenable. I bought two - one to give to my daughter when she goes to college so she can call any time.

The only question I have is....the MJ folks say you can call to the USA from anywhere but that is totally dependent on the RJ-11 jack we have here. What is in use in other countries??? No mention of that is made anywhere on their site. Huge omission (prob on purpose). Take your phone with you??? Not practical.

One other thing, Sunday night, 11pm, no live chat. The window just sits there - never completes the connection. They say live chat available 24/7. Not really. At least not right now. Will try tomorrow.

Bottom line, I'm very happy with the service and the cost is crazy low. I just wish I could swap my landline number to the MJ and lose that $33/mo phone bill (you might wonder why so low - I use it for local calls only).

Last thing, just as fyi I use Comcrap cable in Michigan as my internet provider - the vehicle for MJ.

Collapse -
MagicJack@$$&$
by Madtymes / May 2, 2009 9:25 AM PDT

it has been a year since I bought my magicjack and it worked fine for 2 weeks then it kept restarting and dumping it's programing. I contacted magicjacks umm they call it customer service I call it hell! well 30 times contacting them and an ungodly amount of hours talking to them, in which I can NEVER get back they agreed to exchange it. that was 6 months ago in which I have not gotten this so called replacement... but I did get this info from the b.b.b. and fcc:

Peter Russo-CFO
West Palm Beach, FL. 33405
(561)594-2140 "gets you to a recording"
(561)722-0433 "not sure"
(561)586-2328 "no answer"
(281)404-1551 "financial issues"

Fcc # A921
B.B.B. company ID: 92003333 company start date May 30th, 2007

this company is sad to think that ppl will continue to be saticfied with their shotty product and their non-existant customer service

Collapse -
I wonder if there might be a scam going on.
by ahtoi / May 3, 2009 2:05 AM PDT
In reply to: MagicJack@$$&$

I just got an advertisement about magicjack, I get the impression all one has to do is plug the thing in the usb of the computer and you can make phone calls all over the world. Nothing about internet, nothing about turning on the computer, nothing...it works like "magic". Of course we know better but does everyone else!

Collapse -
magic jack works very well ?
by nofret / June 7, 2009 4:57 AM PDT

It amazes me how many people try to install external devices and if they dont work instantly, blame the device. Most people dont have a clue as to what drivers are. Or even how to maintain their pc.

Collapse -
magic jack
by nofret / June 6, 2009 8:28 AM PDT

I went and got one to free up my phone from the teenage horde hogging my line. It works; they use it. the rest I don`t bleeping care about.

Collapse -
I guess "we pay for what we get" still holds true.
by ahtoi / June 7, 2009 4:13 AM PDT

and sometime... much less.

Collapse -
MagicJack tweaks
by pacific101 / August 29, 2010 5:10 AM PDT

I hear allot of folks complain about the MagicJack, I'm not going to pretend that it doesn't have it's issues, but none that can't be resolved with some patients and reading.
Here are some steps that I might suggest to folks that are setting up for the 1st time or just having problems with getting their MagicJack to work correctly.
1. insert your MagicJack in a USB2.0 port, it will automatically bring up a setup screen and it doesn't give you allot of options except a message about "Lucky You" and it does it all from there on it's own.

2. Once installed, go to your control panel and click on "Hardware and Sound" and then on "Sound" in the screen that pops up under the "Playback" tab you will see "Handset", right click on that and click on "Properties" then click on the "Levels" tab, set that to 100%, then click on "Advanced" and use the drop down to choose "Telephone Quality", leave the other 2 items on that tab check marked and click "Ok".

3. Now click on the "Communications" tab, choose the "Do Nothing" button and click "Apply" and then click "OK".

4. Now back to your Control Panel, click on "Network and Internet", then on "Network and Sharing Center" look to the left hand side of the page and click on "Change Adapter Settings", that will provide you an opportunity to access the details of your network adapter, wireless or hardwire, depending on which you are using. Right click on your adapter and click on "Properties", Under Internet Properties, click on "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4" so that it is highlighted then click on "Properties", click on "Use the Following DNS Address", then enter "67.90.152.122" and "67.107.71.186", click "OK" and click "OK" and exit.

I won't guarantee that will cure all your MagicJack issues and we will all learn more and more how to improve on it, their engineers are continuously working to improve its operation and progress is being made. When ever I have someone tell me my voice is breaking up a little or sounds a little scratchy, I tell them my phone bill is paid up until 2017 for a 1.00 a month, for that amount of money and savings, as long as they can understand what I'm saying and I can understand them I'll live with it.
Once I tell them I'm using MagicJack to talk to them and what I'm paying for it, they are signing up too. The instructions I typed out here for all of you, are the same ones I have given to my friends who are new to MagicJack, and so far we are all getting along pretty well with it, not to mention saving a ton of money being our own telephone companies. I figure if this helps one or two people to get their MagicJack working it was worth the time it took to type it out.

Collapse -
magicjack bites
by unameit / October 21, 2010 9:05 AM PDT

5 hours - 11 so called techs and a total line of hazzanga I give up. they LIE period. spent $40 and a day of my life getting a headache and learning the hard way magicjack bites. it never did work and they I truly don't think I ever had a people - just a computer program. I could never get a yes no answer and it refused to give and address I could mail anything too.

Collapse -
MAGIC JACK IS JUNK AD THE TECHS ARE MALICIOUS
by AARONALLEN7575 / January 11, 2012 7:30 PM PST

HOURS OF THE HURRY UP N WAIT, REMOTE IN TO TELL ME IT DOESNT WORK,NEVER ALLOWED THIER TECH ACCESS TO YOUR PC!!!! INSTALLED APPS WITHOUT PERMISSION AND THE TOTALLY IS LOGGED IN WITH OUT PERMISSION TAKES MY SCREEN AND SHUTS DOWN THE LAPTOP AND NOW IT WILL NOT BOOT. ALL BECAUSE I TOLD HIM I WAS KEEPING A SAVED COPY OF ALL OF THE CHATS AND WAS FORWARDING THEM DUE TO THE LACK OF SERVICE TO HIS BOSS-WHICH AFTER THAT LITTLE EPISODE BECAME THE POLICE THE FCC AND THE ATTOURNEY GENERAL FINALLY THE CIVIL ATTOURNEY AS WELL. I PAID 70 BUCK FOR LUS AND EXR FOR PERONALZED NUMBER AND WORKED TWO WEEKS NO I JUST GET A POPUP THAT TELLS ME TO INSERT MY JACK. THINK TWICE PEOPLE

TO GOOD TO BE TRUE = NOT WORTH MY TIME
JUNK JUNK JUNK I WILL POST A CHAT SESSION AND LET YOU BE THE JUDGE IF I CAN EVER GET MY LAPTOP TO TURN ON AGAIN

Collapse -
Re: not boot at all
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 11, 2012 7:42 PM PST

Assuming that when you write "not boot at all" you mean "not boot at all" (what else) that seems to be a hardware error.

In common parlance "not boot at all" means "I don't see any BIOS messages". As soon as you see those, the system has booted. If you don't, that can be an issue with the power supply, the motherboard or the video card.
And none of those can be triggered remotely by them.

So maybe the PC does boot?

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.