Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Magic Jack telephone connection

by / February 9, 2009 3:35 PM PST

I saw an ad for a company called Magic Jack that offers a $40 device that allows you to make free telephone calls by plugging this thing into a USB port and connecting a phone to it.

Has anyone on here used it? It appears to be highly rated by PC Magazine, NY Times, LA Times and a bunch of other big names.

Comments? Have you tried it? Sounds too good to be true. $40 for unlimited phone calls for a full year.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Magic Jack telephone connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Magic Jack telephone connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Works for me
by radean / February 10, 2009 2:13 AM PST

If you Google MagicJack, and check in the Unofficial MagicJack forums, you will see about equal numbers of good, and bad reports.

Maybe I'm lucky, but I have had no problems at all with it, and it works as advertised.

Keep in mind, it only works when your computer is active, (not turned off, or asleep). And it adds about a minute to your boot up time while it reloads information from it's home site. It will do this every time you reboot.

I've only had it about 6 weeks now, and I believe it has paid for itself. Should mention I'm on a "low speed" DSL connection (around 1Mbps), but I have had no reports of dropouts, or any voice quality problems.

Collapse -
by / February 10, 2009 3:59 AM PST
In reply to: Works for me

Thanks so much for the info. I think I'll order it. I need to find a way to cut down the $1,920 per year that I spend for a land line, fax, internet and cable with DVR.

Have you tried using that device with your fax machine?

Collapse -
Whooo, Magicjack is only a phone connection.
by ahtoi / February 10, 2009 4:12 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

It may help just a little bit. It may help more if you do a lot of long distance calling (that's my take on this).

Think about it. Don't blame the high cost on the phone connection.

Collapse -
inexpensive fax, internet connect, dvr tv options
by / February 10, 2009 4:23 AM PST

I only send about 8-10 faxes per month and rarely use the land line so $40x12 just doesn't seem to make sense... $480 per year for phone and fax. Then I've got my mobile bill too.

Anybody know of an inexpensive/secure way around faxing through a land line? I have to fax credit card info.

Also would like to hear about lower cost ways to record and watch TV.

I checked Forbes Magazine ... article on 12 ways to watch TV... one was which has free TV shows.

But then it would be most comfortable to connect the laptop to the TV so that I could watch in my easy chair in front of the 50 inch screen I bought a few years ago when budgets weren't constrained.

Soon TV and computer will be one and the same but in the meantime there has to be a better way than spending $88 per month for cable and DVR. $88x12 = $1,056 per year. And TV doesn't even have that much on it.

Collapse -
Magic Jack is Ace
by SKIPPY8477 / August 5, 2011 2:30 AM PDT

I bought the magic jack and used it around the country, i bought my son one, and sent it to Germany and it is just great. l paid about 100$ for mine for 6 years of service . I would recommend it to anyone, but a good Internet speed is better!

Collapse -
VoIP connection isn't reliable for fax
by zxxxt / May 24, 2010 3:53 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks

As it has been discussed many times, sending fax through VoIP is a hit and miss affair. Some people can get away with it but most people have trouble sending fax on their VoIP connection.

Get an online fax service instead like Onesuite fax and it won't cost much at 1.9c per page to Canada and 2.5c to US numbers. Receiving fax is always free.

Collapse -
Using Nagic Jack for a fax line
by mrmacky / July 1, 2009 1:01 AM PDT

I have been reading a lot of posts on this subject and found different people having different experiences. The majority - however - fall w/me. I have been unsuccessful. I have been fidgetting w/different options: from using different modem strings to no string to auto answer to class1 to enabling error contro/disabling control. I can send faxes no problem. It is with the receipt of that I am having a problem.

I have not tried manual intervention with an inbound fax. My fax program allows auto receive and this is what I need. Setting my program to auto receive seems to be the problem. I think it is conflicting w/Magic Jack in the vmail area. I can't call in either from a fax or from a handset. At the 1st ring the vmail takes over. Sometimes repeated attempts will get it working where it will ring twice (as set up) and answer. I can hear the moden initializing/going thru the handshake. I think it's working until I get the error "bad line condition". I have never gotton any further. I have downgraded the speed to 2400; tried a different fax / line with the same results.

I think the problem lies with Magis Jack's voice mail but can't try it as MJ comes with voice mail installed. From the posts I've read Ymax won't allow disabbling the vmail. I find this rather an odd marketing mentality to have when u want to sell magic jack and people want to use it for a fax line. What harm wud it do to disable this option from the host site. If u go on MyMagicJack there is an option in ur account to modify other optios u have such as call forwarding but no option for voice mail. If they want to inhibit u from modifying the vmail account urself, why wud they object to doing it at the host level ? Doesn't make sense. I think if I cud disable the vmail and have no controls on the line side, I cud get my fax to work!

Collapse -
Majic Jack - Pros & Cons from long-time user
by vik1919 / May 9, 2010 5:04 PM PDT

To answer other questions about majicJack (MJ) VoIP technology. Compared to other paid Internet phone services today MJ is the most cost-effective. Voice-over-Internet-protocol technology is superior today compared to other type of voice communications in:
- it's the cheapest on the market VoIP technology
- requires only a minimal initial investment (the cost of the device, plus first year subscription)
- works through your computer, as well as through your other home phone
- After you paid the initial cost of the hardware itself, you pay including in the initial cost only $19.99 per year subscription for free-of-charge calls in U.S. Renewal cost you the same $19.99 per year and you can do that online. Other also can call you for free, especially if they also have MJ device hooked in their PC or their home phone.
- When you are away from your home, you need stable Internet connection (stable WiFi connection also works), in order to use your MJ to place free-of-charge calls in U.S., or being abroad and calling U.S. phone.
- Once you register the MJ in U.S. territory, MJ would assign for you an unique phone#, most likely with the same area code as your home. Also, you can travel with it abroad and use it to call for free any U.S. phone back home.
- While for other international calling using your MJ phone you can subscribe by charging your credit card on $10 increments. Once you consumed the dollar amount (only cents per min fee depends on the foreign country location) for international calling from U.S., or being on the territory of foreign country - you can charge your card with aditional$10 or more, up to you, your credit card info is not stored and not charged authomatically, as other do.

In summary, I personally experienced a life in U.S. and abroad using as a phone connection MJ and my laptop only through Internet connection. It works even for those of my contacts that are in U.S. and abroad too, especially for those who already have MJ too.

The cons:
- MJ is not a replacement of your mobile phone. You can not place calls on the go while away from home, you need to have Internet connection and your mobile PC handy in order to place a call. Also other can't find you as they can when using mobile phone. However, other can leave a voice mail, which you can retrieve using your MJ software poping up on your PC screen.
- or you can retrieve your voice mail through Email notification with audio file attachment MJ sends you every time someone left VM for you. With other words it's a plus actually that you are not going to miss any voice mail, even when your MJ is not hooked-in your PC.
- No full-blown customer support as we are used to. You only can use MJ Website where you registered your device, to chat online with a rep if available. Otherwise no other phone technical or other support.

Collapse -
(NT) Did you notice the date of that post?
by Coryphaeus / May 9, 2010 10:26 PM PDT
Collapse -
Majicjack & MAC OS10.6.4
by PotFul / June 27, 2010 7:11 AM PDT

I bought a majicjack because it said I could use it on A MAC Intel.It will not work on my MAC.Have spoke with both majicjack and Apple and can get no logicial answer. It works on my Daughters PC (Dell). Any help would be apprecriated.

Collapse -
Mac & MJ
by GrobMan / June 29, 2010 6:11 PM PDT

I read that Mac fixed the compatibility between Mac and MJ. But you should have an Intel Mac plus Mac core should be 8.10.3 or higher (like 10.4.10, 10.4.11, 11.0 and higher). Mac says: "It should work well". I hope that I helped Happy

read all new information on

Collapse -
Mac & MJ
by PotFul / June 30, 2010 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Mac & MJ
Collapse -
It works...However,
by Rico2668 / June 4, 2011 6:28 AM PDT

Good luck if you have a techinical question. And you will try to get a hold of a person.

Collapse -
by ianzki23 / August 3, 2011 7:02 AM PDT

is it worth buying? magic jack?

Collapse -
Your choice on that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2011 7:16 AM PDT

What made you decide not to buy it?

Collapse -
Magic Jack telephone connection
by jollysteve / August 23, 2011 10:07 PM PDT

You certainly have some agreeable opinions and views. Your site provides a
fresh consider the subject. I just added this feed to my bookmarks. I really
enjoy reading your posts. Thanks!

Collapse -
Magic Jack and faxing
by dragonbloodsoup / September 26, 2011 3:11 AM PDT

I have used the Magic Jack for almost 5yrs now and it works great. Best on Cable if you are gaming on a console but it does work fine on just about any connection unless you are using the hotspot from your smartphone as it greatly slows down the connection for that. On the matter of faxing if you are on win7 and/or Vista there is a built in Fax and scan in the OS. The only thing you need is a print, scan, copy printer.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.