Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

Question

Magento vs prestashop - which one is better?

by sunnymkv / March 6, 2013 8:22 PM PST

I study many article on the net. I look technically comparison between magento vs prestashop, both are same. But I want personal view from those who are using magento or prestashop CMS.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Magento vs prestashop - which one is better?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Magento vs prestashop - which one is better?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
reply for better
by aruna8712 / March 11, 2013 3:36 PM PDT

Both these platforms Magento and PrestaShop are open source eCommerce solutions which can be used for product management.
But
Magento is the best option if you need out of the box features because PrestaShop offers limited services and functionality.
Magento is known to be more SEO friendly compared to PrestaShop.
PrestaShop has less variety of themes than Magento has.
Magento is suitable for all sizes of businesses, while PrestaShop is the best option for small businesses.

Collapse -
Answer
Magento vs prestashop - which one is better?
by InMotionHosting / April 29, 2013 3:05 AM PDT

Hello sunnymkv,

To me, and through viewing many customer's sites, the two are alike in that they are both ecommerce, but they are not designed for the same type of business.

PrestaShop is good for small and medium sized businesses. It is fairly robust and there are a significant number of modules, both free and premium, to get it to do most tasks.

Magento seems to be a little easier for people to use right away without having to add as many modules or extensions. It is also built to handle larger businesses.

One thing to consider, however, is your hosting platform. While Magento may be the bigger of the two, it also uses much more resources than PrestaShop. In fact, with our customers,we do not recommend that anyone use the Magento program on anything less than a VPS or Dedicated server. This means no shared servers. PrestaShop on the other hand, seems to have an easier time being used on the shared servers.

~ Scott

Collapse -
Answer
Magento vs. Prestashop
by InMotionHosting / May 1, 2013 7:21 AM PDT

Hello Sunnymkv,

I work with the community support team with a hosting company and I know both someone with a Magento shop (with over 2000 products) and also several Prestashop users. Both are good, but I will definitely recommend Magento when it comes to a shop with over 2000 products. Their backend database structure can be adapted to work with large database systems such as Oracle which excels with large amounts of data. The main issue there will be cost, as you increase your store size and you need to support much large ecommerce project, you should be considering your back end to support any performance issues.

It's hard to give specifics here because there are so many variations on websites. I have been writing quite a bit of documentation on PrestaShop and I would recommend it for the smaller shops as it runs well within its framework and has a great availability of customization with little cost. The community is vibrant for both products, but again scale will be your determining factor.

Magento (in my opinion) is a professional product great for larger businesses who have deeper pockets though it can definitely be implemented on a smaller scale. However, if you have a more limited budget and you're running a smaller store, then I would recommend PrestaShop as they are free, and provide a fairly complete solution that can meet your needs with smaller back end requirements.

Arnel C.

Collapse -
Answer
Magento
by samjercy / May 29, 2013 8:39 PM PDT

Magento is the most popular and powerful ecommerce platform used for developing dynamic and highly interactive ecommerce websites Magento Development are leveraging the benefits of Magento in delivering high end and cost effective ecommerce portals and online shopping carts.

Collapse -
Magento Vs PrestaShop
by gowebbabyllc / June 18, 2013 8:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Magento

It has been assumed by many that Magento has an advantage over all the other available eCommerce system because of its functions and performance. But it is not real because there are many systems which presented risks to the control of Magento in the eCommerce biz sector. PrestaShop is one of them which is becoming more popular day by day because of its personalized functions and performance. With this content I will try to impress the various functions of PrestaShop and Magento which will help you to choose which would fit to your company specifications.

Collapse -
Answer
Prestashop vs Magento
by bonp27 / June 25, 2013 12:00 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.