Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Magento v/s Cre v/s Zencart

by rupeshnarvekar1977 / March 20, 2009 11:03 AM PDT

What would you choose between Magento , CRE and Zencart? Any Particular reasons ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Magento v/s Cre v/s Zencart
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Magento v/s Cre v/s Zencart
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by rupeshnarvekar1977 / May 23, 2009 12:09 AM PDT

Okay so I answer my question, myself quickly after doing a lot of research

1) Magneto is awesome and more or less out of the box

2) CRE is buggy and needs a lot of patches to get things right

3) Zencart ,a lot of modules made for oscommerce, wont work with Zencart )

Collapse -
Magento vs Zen cart
by Andrew Gilkerson / March 1, 2010 9:36 AM PST
In reply to: Magneto

My name is Andrew and I have a question I could use help with if you are willing to???

I am curious as I own www.aceleathergoods.com and I am at a very pivotable point having to choose between Zen Cart and Magento to have my site (which desperately needs updating) redone. The decision needs to be made by tomorrow I was just curious about your thoughts on the subject. Aslo important to know that Zen cart bid is at $1000.00 and the Magento bid is at $2500 and thats to get it up and running.

I make my own leather goods and over 100 products but I like the artistic abilities Zen cart seems to have. Most of my sales after 28 years in business are still done at major arts and crafts festivals. I currently have 7500 email customers so...I want to retain an artsy look. Your thoughts?

Andrew blackfiretruck@hotmail.com

Collapse -
(NT) Both are expensive bids
by sbeena40 / March 11, 2010 9:29 PM PST
In reply to: Magento vs Zen cart
Collapse -
by avjam / May 30, 2009 5:30 AM PDT

I think OS Commerce has way cooler templates but in terms of functionaity, Zencart gets my vote, I haven't tried the others you mentioned though

Collapse -
Definately Magento
by jballotti / June 16, 2009 7:18 PM PDT
Collapse -
agree but the downside...
by iiswansongii / July 1, 2009 3:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Definately Magento

I agree that magento looked like it had great features but i was unable to set it up in my current host 'readyhosting'. Also, in my attempt to find another host, those too could not handle magento. other than the expensive 'partners' that magento lists as host on their site, can you suggest another 'better' hosting company? i'm trying to find the best value.

Collapse -
Magento Web Hosting
by jballotti / July 1, 2009 4:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
Magento Store
by rupeshnarvekar1977 / July 1, 2009 3:06 PM PDT

Yes magento is really awesome, but a bit tricky to install.

I was able to install it successfully after a lot of tries. Check it out at http://www.123triad.us/store/

You don't need special servers or web hosting, as long as your hosting company can enable PDO and PDO MYSQL, you should be good

Rupesh Narvekar

Collapse -
pdo extension issue
by iiswansongii / July 1, 2009 9:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Magento Store

that is where i am stuck i can't seem to find a server that has all the requirements. my current host doesn't support pdo and pdo extensions. it seems that there are so many hosting companies out there, i can't find one that has the most value. i'd like php but also asp. i'd like mysql databases . ugh! just a bit frustrating :/

Collapse -
Complete Magento Server Requirements
by rupeshnarvekar1977 / July 3, 2009 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: pdo extension issue

Required PHP extensions for Magento are:
+ simplexml
+ mcrypt
+ hash
+ GD
+ iconv
+ SOAP (if Webservices API is to be used)

At 123triad site above, we had everything but PDO MySql,installed, we enabled it and recompiled.

in Addition make sure Safe_mode is off and Memory_limit is set to 32M or more

MySQL should be 4.1.20 or newer and has InnoDB storage engine.

Magento is developed based on PHP so unfortunately Windows based servers cant run them.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.