Mac Hardware forum

Question

Macs + iPhone can see WiFi but cannot connect. PC can. Help?

by MrGeoffreys / February 7, 2013 1:39 AM PST

I recently moved to a new apartment and have a new wireless router provided by Time Warner. My PC, Android Smartphone and DVD player w/built in wireless can see and connect to WiFi network. My Macs and iPhone can see the network but they cannot connect to the network.
Time Warner has sent technicians to my house and swapped routers twice, but the Macs and iPhone still cannot connect to WiFi network. Time Warner is telling me this is an Apple software problem and to contact Apple Support. Apple Support is telling me this is a problem with the service provider. This has been going on for three months. I believe Apple Support because all of these devices connected at my previous apartment with a different service provider. Any one have similar problems? And if so, what was the solution? Many thanks in advance for your help.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Macs + iPhone can see WiFi but cannot connect. PC can. Help?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Macs + iPhone can see WiFi but cannot connect. PC can. Help?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Seen that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2013 1:42 AM PST

It was a router firmware bug and it confused the heck out of folk. As you don't own the router I can't offer much given no make/model/setttings today.

If you control the router try it with no security and channels that are compatible with your devices.
Bob

Collapse -
Ringing a bell,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 7, 2013 7:39 AM PST
In reply to: Seen that.

what frequency is this wireless router broadcasting on?

I recall reading somewhere that the iPhone and iPad had a problem with the 5.x Ghz frequency.

I'll check to see if I can find it again

P

Collapse -
what frequency is this wireless router broadcasting on?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2013 8:27 AM PST
In reply to: Ringing a bell,

You have to tell me that. Remember that no make/model of the router was given so it's all up to you to tell what channel it's on. What you read does not apply here yet.
Bob

Collapse -
re: Macs + iPhone can see WiFi but cannot connect.
by MrGeoffreys / March 20, 2013 2:09 AM PDT

the router is Arris TG862. I keep trying to access it with my web browser, but keep getting "connection reset". I wish Verizon Fios came to my block. Time Warner is the worst ISP provider I have ever used.

Collapse -
No answer to my question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2013 2:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
re: No anser to my question...
by MrGeoffreys / March 20, 2013 6:24 AM PDT

Hi Bob, This is not a neighbors network. My PC sees my network and joins it correctly. The Mac sees the network but gets a "error joining network" message. I only have one device provided by Time Warner--the ArrisTG862G that provides my internet service and creates my wifi network.

Collapse -
This would be a first.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2013 6:40 AM PDT

Please supply me with the manual on the Arris that shows us the WiFi option. I use the TM502 which is similar but until you share what has the WiFi I fear we can't proceed.
Bob

Collapse -
re: this would be a first....
by MrGeoffreys / March 20, 2013 12:27 PM PDT
In reply to: This would be a first.

Hi Bob,

The Arris TG862G has ethernet and wireless. Page 12 and 13 detail the wireless features of the TG862G. I have read this manual front to back and Time Warner has somehow locked this device. I cannot access the Configuration Interface nor can I reset the device to "factory settings". I have spent countless hours on the phone with Time Warner and had 3 technicians out to my apartment for hours at a time. The technicians leave my house with the PC connected to the wireless LAN but the Mac and iPhone cannot connect to the wireless LAN.

No one is able to solve this problem (Time Warner techs keep telling me to call AppleCare--I know this is a Time Warner problem because I can connect to my neighbor's very slow Verizon DLS wireless LAN two floors below me!).

http://www.arrisi.com/support/documentation/user_guides/_docs/TG862G-NA_User_Guide_Standard1-2.pdf

Thanks.

Collapse -
Thanks for leading me to that page.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2013 1:42 AM PDT

I missed it. I was looking at the feature lists and didn't read the entire manual.

OK, read this link.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=wndr3700+ipad

This is just one example of a router that does not work nicely with ipads and iphones.

But your post with " I keep trying to access it with my web browser, but keep getting "connection reset". " is troubling.

Try browsers like firefox or chrome next as some of these routers don't work with some browsers. Also, is it the usual address of
192.168.0.1 ?
Bob

Collapse -
re: thanks for leading me to that page...
by MrGeoffreys / March 21, 2013 6:05 AM PDT

Hi Bob,
Yes. tried the usual 192.168.0.1 with firefox, safari, chrome and ie. No luck getting to the Configuration Interface.
I am guessing that the "connection reset" error is because Time Warner has blocked users from accessing the Configuration tools. The router does not even reset to factory settings when following the instructions in the router manual.
Thanks. Geoff

Collapse -
Let's check that IP number.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2013 6:10 AM PDT

Look at your IP numbers on the PC and find the GATEWAY number. Is it the IP we suspect or something else.

Sorry but I'm bumping into routers that have issues with iPhones and other things. What a mess.
Bob

Collapse -
Same problem! Any luck finding a solution?
by miriank / October 24, 2013 12:23 PM PDT

I'm having this exact problem. We just moved and had to switch from Fios to Time Warner. The wifi on my iPhone 5 and iPad both stopped working, my hubs Microsoft Surface and Nokia/Windows phone have no problems. I have the same modem/router.

Any information or solutions you found would be extremely helpful.

Best,
Kelly

Collapse -
Drastic as it seems,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 25, 2013 9:25 AM PDT

Take the modem/router back to Time Warner and tell them to take it off your monthly bill.
Then head to your favorite Tech store and purchase a Modem of your own.

Call Time Warner and they will provision it.

P

Collapse -
Answer
ReStart Internet
by joe4mu / February 8, 2013 8:12 PM PST

I see this all the time,

A couple things to try:

1. Do your Apple devices ask for a password? If they don't but should, then tell your device to forget the wireless network and try again. I could give more details on forgetting the WiFi network if I know your Operating System versions.

2. You should restart your router. To do this you should first turn off or unplug your Cable or DSL modem, then turn off or unplug your router. With both devices off, first startup your Cable or DSL modem and wait for it to show a ready light. Next turn on your router, when you see its ready light try to connect from your devices.

Collapse -
Answer
couldn't connect apple devices to time warner wireless
by ccurry2000 / December 15, 2013 12:13 PM PST

my roommate changed our internet provider to time warner. we received an arris dg860a wireless router. once we switched me and my other roommate could not get our iphones or ipads connected to the wireless. i believe it was later in this thread it mentioned that changing from the default security settings of wpa2/psk to web would do the trick. that does work, but if you do that you have to disable wireless n and only have b+g. you can keep b/g/n by changing from wpa2/psk to wpa/psk. once i changed to wpa/psk we were able to connect all of our apple devices. hope that helps anyone else who can't get their iphone connected to time warner wireless.

Collapse -
Answer
iphone twc fix
by uticax / December 16, 2013 9:09 AM PST

just fixed this for my daughter hope it works for you too!!
Went into command prompt and typed ipconfig (space-don't type space just hit the space bar once)/all then pressed enter
Lots of info will come up but you only need to look for the wireless gateway ip number.
Went into modem info by typing in wireless gateway IP address into internet address bar push enter
Login using user name-admin and password - password if you don't have on These are the default ones on most modems
Went to wireless settings and changed the bandwidth to 20/40MHz from 20MHz

Collapse -
(NT) good info, but what was the wireless gateway IP number for?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 16, 2013 9:28 AM PST
In reply to: iphone twc fix
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.