Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Macro message over and over

by iamfrustrated / June 2, 2007 10:35 PM PDT

Hi there,
My Acer laptop crashed and I got a new hard drive. Windows XP home was loaded, but no Word or Excell, so I loaded a 2002 XP version of each. Now when I open Windows, I get the following message:
"The function you are attempting to run contains macros or content that requires macro language support. When this software was installed, you (or your administrator) chose not to install support for macros or controls."
This pops up over and over and is really annoying. I've tried reloading Word over and again, but there is no macros option on the install. I don't load the entire XP, just select word and excell.
Any advice would be much appreciated!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Macro message over and over
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Macro message over and over
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: macro message
by Kees Bakker / June 2, 2007 10:46 PM PDT

1. Install Visual Basic for Applications also:
That's an option you should be able to find, once you know how it's called.

2. This indicates a program running on startup that you don't want (like OSA.exe). Do Start>Run>Msconfig, and see if you can find out what it is (must be somewhere in program files\office or whatever folder Office is installed in) and uncheck it.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by iamfrustrated / June 2, 2007 10:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: macro message

Thanks so much, this fixed it - you're brilliant!

Collapse -
Not really brilliant.
by Kees Bakker / June 2, 2007 11:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

It was the first hit on a google search for office XP "support for macros or controls". The only thing I had to add was to recognize this as the solution for you.

I'm sure you can be just as brilliant yourself. Your first move was excellent: giving the right information with the right details and the full text of the error message (without typos). Many members don't do that, and that makes it difficult to give them an appropiate answer.

Anyway, glad I could help.

Collapse -
Great lead to fix the problem
by barbecuy / July 14, 2009 6:23 AM PDT

i spent several hours trying to fix this annoying macro error message, after reading your post i found out that one of my Application(Webex addins) was setup to load automatically on all offices applications. As soon as I set it up to don't use office , the message just went away.
thanks so much

Collapse -
Same problem on Win. 8
by egroupcyprus / December 10, 2012 9:37 PM PST

Hi, I am just facing the same problem, one of our technical persons installed this for me, but cant find a solution around this. I have a win 8 laptop, with office 2003 and when i open a file in word the same errors appear and it is very disturbing... any advice please?
C. Pashiardis
CEO - Egroup Services

Collapse -
Re: Office 2003
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 10, 2012 9:49 PM PST
In reply to: Same problem on Win. 8

You're CEO of an IT company. So why not ask your technical staff to solve this issue?
Or are they incompetent?

Collapse -
CEO at IT company.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2012 2:51 AM PST
In reply to: Same problem on Win. 8

Wowsers. Time to talk with HR about your staff.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.