Mac Desktops forum

Question

MacPro suddenly shuts down and starts up again automatically

by lukas_composer / May 9, 2013 7:12 PM PDT

Hello Friends!

Got a really strange problem here, with my Mac Pro.

My Mac Pro suddenly shuts down, and starts up again automatically. No warning, no freezing - just a shut down noise and black screen. After 3-4 seconds, it starts up again.

Can someone help me with that?

All the best,

Lukas

Specs:
2010 Mac Pro 2.GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
RAM: 16GB Kingston RAM
2x1000GB HDs (one from apple, and another Western Digital)

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MacPro suddenly shuts down and starts up again automatically
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MacPro suddenly shuts down and starts up again automatically
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Doesn't sound strange at all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2013 11:47 PM PDT

Such machines appear in the shop all the time. The funny thing (at least to the tech) is how many folk say it's not overheating. And then we clean the vents and heatsinks, and maybe replace heatsink compound, a power supply or board or find some corrupt OS.

The constant so far is it's rarely the same thing except that folk don't keep the vents and such clean.

Bob

Collapse -
B-Stock
by lukas_composer / May 10, 2013 5:27 PM PDT

Oh I forgot to mention, that I bought the Mac Pro as a B-Stock item.
And this is were it becomes 'strange': The error appears since I have the machine - and you don't expect dust in a new computer..?

But I got you. I will clean everything, what is in there Happy

How can we be sure, that the problem really is the overheating? Because the computer starts up again 3-4 seconds after the shut down. Thats a really fast - can it cool down again in such a few time?
Sometimes, after the shut down and start up, the computer stays stable for hours/days..

Thank you so much for your help!

All the best,
Lukas

Collapse -
B stock? B grade?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2013 9:21 AM PDT
In reply to: B-Stock

Sorry but there's a lot of missing story here. I'm going to guess this is some non-Apple refurb machine that was cheap.

If so, time to ask for the money back.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.