MacBooks forum

Macbook Vs. Laptop

by koders / January 2, 2013 5:40 AM PST

Hello All. I am rather new to Apple products and am really enjoying my Iphone and Ipad. I am in the market for a new laptop and have been looking at the Macbooks. Can somebody lend some advice as to which one would be better and why? I would be using this for my junior year of college which requires a good bit of research and LOTS of papers. Thank you in advance.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Macbook Vs. Laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Macbook Vs. Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
A macbook is a laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 5:46 AM PST
In reply to: Macbook Vs. Laptop

Sorry but I wonder if this is the old question of Apple MacOSX vs Windows.

The bottom line for me is that I don't install an antivirus on our apple and don't have the apple laptop scanning all the time for pests. The apple is a more productive laptop.

Collapse -
by pulmonq2 / May 29, 2013 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: A macbook is a laptop.

I'm sorry but if you can't recognize what the question is, then don't answer, please. He's asking for comparison between Macbook and Laptop (PC). Pretty obvious. You 'wonder' if he's asking about MacOS vs Windows? Did you even read the question?

"I am in the market for a new laptop and have been looking at the Macbooks"

I don't think there's any doubt as to what the question is!

I'm personally investigating the same thing right now, as I might have to replace my laptop (PC) and am debating if the macbook would be better for the form-factor, screen, and battery life, whereas a laptop can have a good screen (though not Retina) and much better 3rd party graphics (gtx 6xx series), but my experience with my Asus' battery life was pretty dismal.

Collapse -
I looked again and it looks like a laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2013 3:07 AM PDT

It has the usual flip up screen, attached keyboard and all in one design that most think of as in laptops.

About battery life. My son picked up an Asus and it's battery has a life extender to get about 3 times the life span of the usual battery. This looks nice as you may get the battery to last as long as the other parts of the common laptop.

Unless you were think battery life was the run time on a full charge?

Collapse -
What do you want to do with it?
by jrhmobile / January 4, 2013 10:09 AM PST

It's really the software and what you need this system to do that should determine what computer you want to buy, not the case that it sets in.

I own both Mac and PC systems. I do software training and demonstrations, and have to be able to show either platform (or occasionally, both) to address specific audiences. MacBooks are well-designed, well-engineered systems, but rather pricy and depending on the application, lacking in relevant specifications to powerful, less expensive PC laptops. And you're almost always going to be spending more for upgrades to extend the capabilities of a MacBook than you will for PC-based laptops.

OTOH, a lot of PC laptops aren't nearly as well built as MacBooks, and are sturdy enough for some uses. But not for others. And if something goes wrong with your system while it's under warranty, it generally takes a lot more effort to get it fixed with many PC-based brands than it does with Apple laptops -- especially if you live in close proximity to an Apple Store, which can often handle repairs/exchanges onsite.

I like both my 15" MacBook Pro and my 14" Dell laptops. For what I do I have my preferences, but they'd likely be irrelevant to what you may want to do with your new laptop. Rather than start by choosing a box, you should probably start with what software you need to put into it and what you want to get out of it. When you can honestly and accurately answer those questions, it'll be easier to make a call on what laptop you should buy.

Collapse -
Buy a PC laptop with a macbook specification
by ziyad11 / January 4, 2013 10:44 AM PST

1.The viruse immunity of mac computers has been proven to be just a legend. In the past mac computers did not get viruses was just because there was non. Just last year a very simple virus infected more than haf a million mac computers and it took apple more than two weeks to admit the issue. Windows introduced an antivirus almost three years ago and have been using this antivirus with no problems at all. And windows 8 incorporates their antivirus with the operating system so you do not need antivirus any more.
2. A laptop with the same specification as that of a mac will cost you less than the mac and will just perform as fine.
3. Although so many softwares are mac compatible, they are still limited as compared to softwares that are available for windows based computers.
4. When you buy a PC laptop, you just pay once for the laptop, but when you buy a mac you keep paying mainly for the adapters.
5. Office applications for mac really suck compared with windows office applications. I actually had to install windows on my mac to use windows excel instead of mac excel.
6. Windows operating system is more flexible and more functional than mac operating system (Based on win7/8 and Lion mountain/leopard). As an example if you want to format a usb stick; In mac you need to go to applications-->utilities --> disk utilities--> choose the usb stick --> click erase then choose the setting of then new format and click erase,. In windows you go to computer--> right click on the usb stick --> select format.
7. I bought a macbook last year mainly because it was advertised as having long battery life of up to 9 hours as apposed to the maximum three hours I get from my HP laptop. When I launch my mac it gives me a battery life of 9 hours but after only one hour it drops back to two hours remaining.
8. If you buy a PC laptop then buy it from a good company, because that will become essential if require repairs for your laptop. I dealt with HP, and even though they do not call themselves geniuses their technical support is superb and they are usually very fast.

Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 5, 2013 12:20 AM PST

"did not get viruses was just because there was non(sic)"
I do belive we are still waiting for the first virus to start the rounds.

"5. Office applications for mac really suck compared with windows office applications. I actually had to install windows on my mac to use windows excel instead of mac excel."

There is no such thing as Mac Excel. There is however, a fully functional suite of Microsoft Office which includes Microsoft Excel. One wonders why you went the expensive way to use Excel.

"Just last year a very simple virus infected more than haf a million mac computers and it took apple more than two weeks to admit the issue."
Really? What was this "Virus" called, perhaps it wasn't a virus after all.

"As an example if you want to format a usb stick"
That's because OS X is not limited to the FAT and NTFS type of format that Windows is and so needs to know what type of format the user requires, along with partition information and File Tables

One wonders why you did not get your Macbook taken care of. It obviously had a problem.

Just saying

Collapse -
Name of the virus that infected over 600,000 macs
by bstuedemann / January 7, 2013 4:39 AM PST
In reply to: Hmmm

FlashFakebotnet according to Kaspersky labs. Please don't delude yourself, the mac os was written by mere morals.

Collapse -
Mortals not morals...
by bstuedemann / January 7, 2013 4:44 AM PST

Collapse -
BTW, that's a Trojan.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2013 7:13 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Indeed, and that was not a virus
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 7, 2013 1:40 PM PST
Collapse -
MacBook Air
by onemoremile / January 4, 2013 11:36 AM PST

It sounds as if you will be doing a lot of writing and internet searching, with little or no gaming, video or Photoshop work. For your use, I think that a MacBook Air would be perfect. The machine is very small and light, has an extremely long-lasting battery and a brilliant screen. You would also get all of the operational and software goodness that comes with an Apple. You will have to decide between the 11 inch and the 13 inch Air. I prefer the 13 inch, but my eyes and I are much older than you, so you may prefer the incredibly compact 11 inch machine. If your campus has a computer shop, you can probably go in and play with both sizes.

Collapse -
Choice is yours
by marc61 / January 4, 2013 3:26 PM PST

Over a year ago i bought my first MacBook Pro and it took me a little time to get adjusted to the changes to what i had been using on my Windows operated PC, about 3 days. When i bought my Mac i was given the Office for Mac as a free gift so i didn't have all the issues that some people seem to have had, but one thing i will say is that after using the Mac now for over a year and not having any issues with any virus attacks, worms, Trojans, constant updates, so many background programs running and eating up the memory, the dreaded blue screen etc etc etc. The Mac for me is so much better and easier to use than a Windows operating system, but i do not use my Mac for gaming so i cant say if the Mac is better or not on that topic. The main thing for anyone looking to buy a laptop is for the individual to decide, you have to make sure that the laptop you are looking to buy is exactly what you need for it to do what you want it to do, many people will give you advice on whats better to buy but you have to remember that what anyone says is just an opinion which maybe a good opinion or it may not be, it just depends on how convincing they may be in their opinions. Prior to me buying my Mac i did some research on the web but the best returns i got for my search was from CNET who in my opinion gave a fair, honest and genuine opinion to all the information i required, which ever Laptop you buy i hope you have fun with it and it does exactly what you wanted it to do

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.