MacBooks forum

General discussion

Macbook`s speaker not working.

by Fdr90 / September 13, 2009 3:32 AM PDT

Hello everyone, I`m a new user looking for some help with my macbook.
First of all I have a macbook white 3,1 (nov 2007) 2.2 GHz CD2, 1 GB ram. OS: Leopard.
Some days ago the speakers stopped working. I couldn`t hear any sound except if I use headphones (and even with headphone I can hear only from the right one, not from the left). Looking on the internet I found this article (http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/macosg_sound_problems_in_leopard); I tried everything that`s written in there but it didn`t work.
Yesterday I went to an Apple store looking for help. After booting another system from an external HD, the guy said the problem it`s either the soundboard or the speaker. To find out I`d have to leave the mac for a week and pay 75 euros (only for researching the problem, solving it probably implies more money).
Since I don`t want to spend all those money I thought I might try to find out myself which is the defective component. Do you think that`s easy to do?
If I manage to do that are there any places where I can find substitutive components (possibly cheaper than Apple`s)?
I even thought about buying external speakers and using them all the time (hoping they`ll both work and not only the right one).

I hope you can help me.. Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Macbook`s speaker not working.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Macbook`s speaker not working.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Warranty,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 13, 2009 8:29 AM PDT

do you have any sort of warranty on that MacBook?

If so, go pound the counter at the Apple Store and hold their feet to the fire.

If the sound is not coming out of the speaker and only from one channel on the headphones, I would tend to lean toward the sound board.
However, the problem with that is that the sound board is integral to the logic board.

Try restting the PRAM on this machine. Shut down and then power on.
At the first chime, hold down the Command + Option + P + R until you hear another chime.

Any difference?

P

Collapse -
re: warranty
by Fdr90 / September 14, 2009 1:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Warranty,

My warranty exipred a year ago Sad
I tried to reset the pram and nothing changed. I guess it`s the sound board Sad
Now I wanna try some friend`s external speakers to see if the sound comes out only from one or from both of them

Collapse -
Imic
by Fdr90 / September 24, 2009 1:58 AM PDT

I just got a 5.1 speakers sound system. I`m gonna buy imic in the next days to be able to hear sound from all the speakers.

What I wanna know is: does imic support 5.1? If not are there other USB solutions I should check out??

Collapse -
My Google search,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 24, 2009 5:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Imic

turned up no reference to Dolby Surround 5.1 in reference to the Griffin iMic.
Just 2 channel Stereo.

P

Collapse -
what about alternatives??
by Fdr90 / September 24, 2009 6:04 PM PDT
In reply to: My Google search,
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.