Microsoft's draconian and weird new direction on Windows 8 (yes I use it) has me wondering if it will pay off. The more I use it the more I think they wasted their billions. I'd stand put on what you have now.
I'm currently thinking about selling my 15" Macbook Pro + Nexus 10 and using that money to get a Lenovo Yoga 13.
I'm a big fan of the Yoga design, and all the reviews I've seen says it's a great ultrabook first, but has great secondary uses (as a tablet, stand, etc...) too. That's exactly the type of device I want to simplify my life. I love tablet functionality for certain instances in my everyday life, but often I don't crack open my Nexus because the laptop is just easier. Also, carrying around multiple devices is a pain, I hate it.
I've always wanted something that combined the ease of media consumption on a tablet with the ease of content-creation on a laptop. The Yoga 13 is it BUT I have a few reservations about taking the plunge:
1) I initially switched to Apple way back in 2006 with my first Macbook Pro. I loved it, best technology decision I've probably ever made. I absolutely love the ease of OSX and the seamless integration between software and hardware that only Apple can provide.
All the crashes, lagging, stuttering, and general frustrations of a owning a PC were a thing of the past when I switched. I'm currently typing on my second Macbook Pro, which is a 2010 model. It works close to perfectly but I want something lighter, and like I said before, something with the versatility to replace both my laptop and tablet.
The problem is that I'm scared of switching back to Windows. I Boot-Camped Windows 7 on my Macbook Pro and was okay, but still a Windows experience. OSX remains superior to that imho. What intrigues me about Windows 8 is the Metro UI, which is built for touch.
Anyone here with experience of switching from OSX back to Windows? Should I be worried?
2) I'm so used to the 15" screen. Because my laptop is my only full blown computer I've always been adamant that having a relatively large screen is a necessity. My whole life of owning laptops I've only owned 15" ones. If the Yoga had a 15" version I would have switched already, but downgrading to 13.3" worries me
3) Again, I'm so used to how great the Apple touchpad is that I'm worried about switching to something finicky in comparison. I don't want to have to think about, via frustration, navigating my computer. I fear with a finicky touchpad this would happen and get on my nerves.
4) I wonder when Haswell chips will be released on the Yoga line?
5) Screen resolution. I don't own a Macbook Pro with Retina Display, but my Nexus 10 has a ridiculously amazing resolution. Since the Yoga would be replacing both devices, I want a Nexus-10/Retina type of display. I wonder if the next generation Yoga will have that.
I know this was long, so if anyone read this, thanks. And I would appreciate any guidance, especially from those that switched from Macbook Pro 15" to Yoga 13.