Mac OS forum

General discussion

Macbook pro pinwheeling when using programs. Help.

by Elvengem / May 6, 2010 1:24 AM PDT

In the past week, my computer has been Beachballing/pinwheeling (whatever you wish to call it) when ever i run programs. im pretty sure since the last update. It seems to freeze up mostly when using internet related programs. ie. firefox safari or Instant messengers. it doesn't seem to have as much a problem using regular computer programs, but its still there none the less, just not as bad.

Ive tried repairing disk, removing addons, removing items from my start up. I'm a fairly new Mac user so i'm at a loss to what to try to do to try to fix things. even in safe mode it still locks up. it can be locked up anywhere from a few seconds - when ever i have to sadly force quit or restart the computer by *winces* holding down the power button.. >.<

Mac ox 10.5.8
2.53 GHx intel core 2 duo

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Macbook pro pinwheeling when using programs. Help.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Macbook pro pinwheeling when using programs. Help.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If it happens
by Jimmy Greystone / May 6, 2010 2:27 AM PDT

If it happens in Safe Mode, then that tends to point to either a horribly corrupted OS, or a hardware issue.

So, first test, is to reboot the system with your 10.5 install DVD in the drive while holding down the "D" key. This will bring you to a simple hardware test program. Be sure to tick the extended test box. See if that finds anything. Even if it doesn't, it doesn't necessarily rule out hardware, but it makes some kind of OS update gone horribly wrong more likely.

If the hardware test comes up fine, I'd suggest trying an archive and reinstall. This takes your existing system, dumps the whole thing into a folder, and then installs a new copy of the OS. For a day or two, keep it to just the essentials, don't even install any updates, and see if the problem persists. If it does, I'd say your hard drive is on its way out. If it behaves, then start by installing just the updates from Software Update, and give it another day or two to see if things remain stable. If they do, you can slowly start adding in the rest of your programs to try and find the problem child. It might even end up being that your current problem is a fluke occurrence, and a fresh install of the OS is all you need.

If you do find some hardware problem, if it's anything other than bad RAM (highly unlikely) or a bad hard drive, and the system is not under warranty... Start looking for a new laptop. If it's not the RAM or hard drive it'd be the logic board, and that will run you probably at least $600 to get replaced. Considering new 13" MacBook Pro's go for around $1200 or less, it's not that economical to repair. And if you do get a new system, be sure to pick up the AppleCare plan for it. Could be the best $250 you ever spent. Anything other than the hard drive or RAM, which you could replace yourself, will likely cost you well over $250 to repair.

Collapse -
A handy utility to try is a program called "Applejack"
by grimgraphix / May 6, 2010 11:39 PM PDT

Applejack is a friendly little program that will solve a lot of the little OS corruption issues that can cause the dreaded spinning beach ball. Think of the program as a heavy duty version of Disk Utility when it comes to permissions and program repair. I have used it for years to clean up issues caused by buggy software upgrades and corrupted files. Current versions support up through Leopard, last time I checked.

The program is installed from a dmg. file. In order to use it, you must restart the computer in Single User Safe Mode. Read all the instructions that appear on the screen, type in the trigger word "applejack", and the program will go through and repair many of the little issues that can cause your computer to hang. When it is finished you will restart and hopefully the problems will be gone, till the next time.

Applejack handles all sorts of OS and software issues, but it won't fix hardware problems and it can't fix a hopelessly corrupted OS when it really needs to be reinstalled.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.