MacBooks forum

Question

Macbook Pro freezing at "grey apple screen". Please help!

by azure82 / May 20, 2013 1:53 PM PDT

Hey there. My Macbook Pro running Lion (2011 I think) just started flipping out, freezing at the grey Apple screen and going no farther into the boot process, no matter how long I wait.

I've tried booting in "Verbose Mode," and it stops short with this message every time:

" efiboot loaded from device: Acpi (PNP0A03,0) /Pci (1FI2) / SATA (0,0) /HD (Part 2, Sig00005765-1E06-0000-FE55-0000C7010000)
boot file path: \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
..Loading kernal cache file 'System\Library\Cached\com.apple.kext.caches\Startup\kernelcache' ...
root device uuid is 'AEA287EA-B11D-3CD0-97A5-D925B8612DBD' "

I tried booting into the "Recovery Drive" and nothing different happens. Grey Apple screen forever.

I tried booting in "Safe Mode" and.... nothing. Grey Apple screen.

I tried booting in "Single User Mode" and enter commands in the LINUX command line. It doesn't allow me to type anything.

I also did the reset thing where you hear the "startup sound" 3 times. This did reset the system settings for sound and mouse tracking speed, but did not help the situation.

I DO have everything backed up in cloud storage online. I DO NOT have an OS recovery disk. Bought the laptop used without one.

You guys are my last hope before taking this baby to a Mac Tech and laying out serious cash. Thank you to anyone who has sage advice!

-Luke (azure82)

ps. Didn't know how to attach a screen shot, so I transcribed the screen message. If you know how, please enlighten me!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Macbook Pro freezing at "grey apple screen". Please help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Macbook Pro freezing at "grey apple screen". Please help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Without any disc to attempt to boot this thing from
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 20, 2013 9:36 PM PDT

you have just about covered everything that might be suggested here.

The next step would be to boot from an external OS X source to see if the problem is software or hardware related.
Disk Warrior or Tech Tool Pro both come with a version of OS X built in. Not free but not exceptionally expensive either. In order of preference, (mine of course) DW then TTP

Unless you can lay your hands on one of those, then the Mac Tech is your next stop.

FYI, that "Linux" command line is actually a UNIX command line.

P

Collapse -
Response to MrMacFixit
by azure82 / May 21, 2013 12:20 PM PDT

Your advice to check out DiskWarrior is well received, thank you very much. I looked at the website. It looks like it's priority it "saving your data." I don't think my data is at risk since it's all backed up online, but I am concerned about my hard drive. Will DiskWarrior fix my hard drive if it's fixable? thanks again for the advice!

Anyone else that has wise advice, please chime in? Thanks Happy

Collapse -
Disk Warrior may have the priority of
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 21, 2013 9:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Response to MrMacFixit

"saving your data" but I think you are looking at it from the wrong angle.

DW rebuilds disk directories. Without those directories your computer does not boot because the system cannot find what it is looking for.
Usually this means that the user has lost all the data that was on the drive, at least until the directories are repaired.
Just because you have all your data backed up off site, does not mean that DW is not for you.

If you believe that, then why not just go out and purchase a new hard drive and install it?

You either want the drive repaired or not and if repairing the drive enables you to access the data on it, then DW has done its job

P

Collapse -
by azure82 / May 22, 2013 8:21 AM PDT

I have no reason to disagree with your case, thank you for your helpful advice! Do you know if DW can be used on any version of OSX? Say, 3 years from now on OS 10.10, would it still be able to work, or is it more of a required upgrade type of software? If you know this off hand, thank you

Collapse -
Disk Warrior is kept up to date by the makers,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 22, 2013 9:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply

who respond to any changes that Apple makes to the booting procedure of their machines.

Point upgrades are usually free but Mark upgrades are usually fee based. (Just like OS X)

To work its magic, DW has to be able to boot the computer and when Apple changes the way a Mac boots, then the version of OS X on the DW disc will not boot the changed machine. However, if you have an external drive with a version of OS X that will boot your computer, then you can install DW on that and run it from there.

I cannot guarantee that DW will work on all the future versions of OS X, then again, you cannot guarantee that all your current programs will work on them either.

P

Collapse -
by azure82 / May 23, 2013 12:18 AM PDT

Great information, much appreciated! I may be purchasing DW today Happy

Collapse -
(NT) Let us know how you get on
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 23, 2013 8:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.