MacBooks forum

General discussion

MacBook Pro freezes when idle and while first boot.

by vawee / January 9, 2013 6:24 AM PST

Hi everyone, sorry for my english i'm not a native speaker.
I have a problem with my MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.2 15" Late 2011 (MD318LL)
- Intel I7-2675QM 2.2GHz
- 4Gb 1333 DDR3
- Radeon HD 6750M and Intel HD Graphics 3000
- 500 GB (5400 RPM)

I bought it while i was in USA it was refubished
Everything was fine while i was in USA.
In russia macbook started to freeze while first boot (while it cold) and in idle (only in mac os x 10.8.2, i think it's becouse macbook cools down, in windows efi don't give acces to intel hd 3000, so macbook stays hot: cpu 60C\140F )
I changed ram,hdd nothing helped. Ran Apple Service Diagnostic nothing wrong (except for hdd test: error -33000 [wrong drive type] but i think it's becouse of ssd (i changed hdd to ssd to test if hdd is ok)).
Reinstalled Mac OS X same, installed windows same.
Everything fine in startup manager, or while installing mac os x, or while downloading mac os x (cmd+r in start up manager) and laptop is cold.
In games, programs, test everything fine. I think that problem in microcrack (hair crack not sure how in english). Any ideas? Ask any question.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MacBook Pro freezes when idle and while first boot.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MacBook Pro freezes when idle and while first boot.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2013 6:29 AM PST
Collapse -
i tried.
by vawee / January 9, 2013 3:40 PM PST
In reply to: CROSS POSTED.

Yes, i tried to unplug all usb things while boot and while idle. One more thing mac os x can freeze even if you just surfing (but if you open one tab with flash it won't). Also i tried to boot from external hdd, the same, if laptop cool it'll freeze.
And about freeze, sound loops and i can't do nothing, just reboot, same in windows and mac os x. Only thing that working fine while macbook cool is startup manager.

Collapse -
"while macbook cool" = clue?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2013 2:16 AM PST
In reply to: i tried.

So did you get it serviced? After a few years your average laptop needs to be opened up to clean the heatsinks and replace the heatsink compound. This sort of work is very common and your average laptop owner thinks that laptops don't need maintenance.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.