MacBooks forum

Resolved Question

MacBook Pro 13" keyboard CAPS LOCK key came out

by SandeepEricsson / November 7, 2012 1:47 PM PST

I got a MacBook Pro 13" on 19th September 2012 in a Reliance iStore. On 3rd November,the CAPS LOCK key came out from the keyboard and I'm afraid whether they will fix it for free or will they charge me for that ??? Please help me !!!

SandeepEricsson has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MacBook Pro 13" keyboard CAPS LOCK key came out
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MacBook Pro 13" keyboard CAPS LOCK key came out
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Usually a non event.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2012 1:48 PM PST

What is this reliance store? I'd head to an Apple Store.

Collapse -
Thats an Apple Reseller.
by SandeepEricsson / November 7, 2012 1:52 PM PST
In reply to: Usually a non event.

Actually this Reliance iStore is an Apple Reseller.

Collapse -
(NT) Let's hope it's as nice as our Apple stores.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2012 2:09 PM PST

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by SandeepEricsson

Collapse -
Replacing the CAPS LOCK key.
by philb1701 / November 9, 2012 6:43 PM PST

Best solution I can recommend it to make a Genius Bar appointment at your nearest Apple Store, and let them reseat or replace the troublesome keycap. If the white sizzors inside the keycap are broke, that will need to be replaced before the key can be reseated. This can usually be done free and perhaps even while you wait.

Collapse -
Thanks for your suggestions folks !
by SandeepEricsson / November 10, 2012 10:56 AM PST

I'm thinking of taking it to an Apple Store and ask them to reseat the key themselves.

Collapse -
Answer
Just pop it back in yourself
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 7, 2012 9:02 PM PST

Take a look at how it connects.
They just snap in

P

Collapse -
I tried it,but that didn't work.
by SandeepEricsson / November 8, 2012 2:04 PM PST

I tried to fit it myself,but that didn't work.

Collapse -
For popping a key back on the keyboard,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 8:44 PM PST

I would not even consider charging you.
However, if the key or the mount have been damaged, then the store is likely to want you to replace the keyboard and that, depending on your model of laptop, could be very expensive.

All you can do is ask them.

P

Collapse -
Answer
You can buy individual macbook pro laptop keys
by peterinoc / November 9, 2012 1:43 AM PST

You are better off getting a macbook key on your own, you can buy them from www.replacementlaptopkeys.com they sell macbook pro laptop keys, and its around $6 shipped. good luck, save yourself the hassle.

Collapse -
(NT) You still have to install it yourself though
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 9, 2012 8:24 AM PST
Collapse -
Let me me very blunt.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2012 1:36 AM PST

Some may call it mean but if the owner messes up the keyboard by mashing it down wrong they are in for a bigger repair bill. The Apple store near me commented that it's a non-event trivial thing but they do it all the time and know how much force to apply and frankly have the experience.

You may get members telling you it's easy but if it was, you'd be done.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.