Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Macbook Line-in Problem

by macbookunl / September 21, 2006 1:22 PM PDT

I am trying to record a talk from my MD player using the line-in on my macbook, but I have no idea how to do it. (I have selected the line-in in the input and it shows that it is receiving the input, but there is no sound.) Help!?!
I would also like to be able to record directly from my microphone onto my macbook. Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Macbook Line-in Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Macbook Line-in Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Line In
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 21, 2006 10:00 PM PDT

To record audio from the Line-In port you need a program that records audio.
Do you have such a program?

Recording of audio, using your microphone, is covered in the user manual that came with your computer. You still need software to process the audio. iMovie & GarageBand will both record sound from the microphone

Collapse -
by macbookunl / September 22, 2006 12:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Line In

I thought garage band would do it. Will it not? I guess I'm not sure what type of program I need to record line-in audio.

Collapse -
It will
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 22, 2006 2:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Line-in

just configure it to accept input from the Line-In.

Check out the Help file

Collapse -
I will give it a try
by macbookunl / September 22, 2006 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: It will

Thank you!

Collapse -
Line-in Problems
by G0RTF / November 8, 2009 12:58 AM PST
In reply to: It will

Hi, I have been watching this thread because I am having problems getting my MBP (latest model)to accept line-in audio. I am trying to input analogue audio from my Hi-Fi phono line-out and have set the input on the Mac to Line-in in Preferences, but there is no response indicated. It works fine with microphone, (applied to either of the input sockets!), with full response indicated. But return to Line-in, and nothing. Am I missing something here? Will the line-in not accept analogue or something? BTW I have tried the same thing outside Preferences using Garage Band - all input options tried - no difference. Please help. G0RTF

Collapse -
Better answer
by Frank Nospam / September 22, 2006 2:32 AM PDT

1: have you gone to System Preferences -> Sound and hilighted audio line-in? That's the most important step.

2: any number of Mac apps can record audio. for example:

Those two steps should handle your MD player.

3: external microphones use the same jack as line-in but have much lower signal strength. So you'd need a preamp, 99% of which are professional-grade and absurdly expensive. Oh how I wish Apple laptops had PlainTalk.

The other option is buing a USB microphone instead, for about $20-50 depending on the quality level you want.

Collapse -
good options
by bikemike / September 22, 2006 10:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Better answer iMic turns USB into mic or line-in AND offers secondary OUTPUT in addition to headphone jack. offers many affordable software solutions for recording external sources as well as selecting which (other) internal software application's audio to capture and record, and selecting which (other) application's audio to route to your mac's speakers / headphone jack, and (simultaneously) which application's audio to route to the Griffin iMic, or Apple Airport Express, for examples. RogueAmoeba also has affordable Audio editing software.

Your mac may have both analog and digital audio input / output. There are adapters you may need to access the integrated optical digital connection in the 1/8" mini input jack. This would allow a direct digital tranfer of MiniDisk player into your Mac - in order to make an exact copy of MD, rather than an analog copy in digital form.

Some external audio devices also use USB or FireWire for moving files around.

Collapse -
A Quick Basic Solution
by tyee77 / April 29, 2008 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: good options

If you just want whatever is feeding into your line in jack to play through your speakers, try the free "LineIn" from Rogue Amoeba. (I'm just a satisfied user--no connection to this company.) Of course, this also helps with external speakers!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.