Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Macbook late 2009 repair advice, power/keyboard not working

by zero_mac / July 30, 2013 11:48 PM PDT

hi,
i'm trying to repair a late 2009 macbook for a friend. it won't power on via the power button. i shorted the power-on pads on the motherboard and it will power on and boot up for about 20 seconds, but just before the login screen appears it powers off.

inspecting the keyboard ribbon there are small marks on it so it may need to replaced.

can anyone tell me is there any way to get more diagnostic information about the problem? if the keyboard ribbon was faulty, presumably the system wouldn't power off mid-boot? this is why i'm reluctant to go ahead and order the new keyboard cable. booting from cold it seems to get a bit further so it may be heat-related. I cleaned off the motherboard (it was quite dusty) and replaced the thermal paste, reseating the heat spreader. it had been quite messily done before with way too much paste, oozing out the sides. the fan is clean and spinning up nicely.

i'm considering selling it on for parts but it would be great to get it up and running again. there is no issue with data recovery etc.

thanks for any help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Macbook late 2009 repair advice, power/keyboard not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Macbook late 2009 repair advice, power/keyboard not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It upset a friend when I pointed this out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2013 2:19 AM PDT
http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=608 has a lot of similar machines for under 300 here. These are working machines and they are back in business and in their case a newer model for under 300.

There are service manuals and parts out there but I see a lot of new techs that want to "get it right" and only replace the borked parts the first time round. That wears off after a few years and they get better at this. Sometimes they learn to compare refurb costs to repair costs. If this machine had a bum board, the refurb seems to win every round.
Bob
Collapse -
re: Macbook late 2009 repair advice, power/keyboard not work
by zero_mac / July 31, 2013 4:56 AM PDT

hi Bob.
thanks for the reply. i can sell it as is (this side of the pond) for €100, but if i fix it i can sell it for €300.

i was just wondering if anyone had experience with boot-up / power off issues like this, and if a new keyboard cable is likely to fix the problem.

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2013 7:49 AM PDT

In my experience when it's doing that it's a bum power system and since that's on the mainboard you find replacing that fixes it.

HOWEVER cables are dirt cheap so why not?

And in closing, as a tech I don't want to upset you so this is just a reminder that at that age you would have torn it all down, wiped off the old heatsink compounds, applied fresh, re-assemble, cleaning as you go.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.