MacBooks forum

MacBook Core2Duo 13" won't stay on/repetively reboots, ect

by curtispsf / March 16, 2013 7:51 AM PDT

My Macbook Core 2 Duo 13" won't stay on for any significant time anymore. When it does, it seems that the slightest movement, or pressing a key will shut it down or it just shuts down on its own. Or it reboots repetitively after chiming. Or it remains on as it is doing now for the last 30 minutes, long enough to see if it needed a firmware update. It's never on long enough to really use it anymore.

When there is no image on the screen, I often can hear the fan or drive running quietly in the background. I can turn it off by powering down with the button. Without the power cord, it will eventually drain the battery if I don't force shut it down.

I have verified that the hard drive is OK by removing it and mounting it externally.

I have been unable to do a hard system reboot (hold down powerbutton until system starts and continue to hold until tone) - no tone, just keeps rebooting.

When it stayed on long enough, I tried to install the firmware 1.1 update. Message was that it didn't need it.
Running 10.5.x Leopard.

I have tried removing one RAM card at a time ( it has 1GB + 512Mb). Haven't really noticed any change. "POST" message is OK when it starts

Any ideas? I've looked at all the "usual suspects". Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MacBook Core2Duo 13" won't stay on/repetively reboots, ect
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MacBook Core2Duo 13" won't stay on/repetively reboots, ect
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Is it this model?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2013 1:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
Any ideas? Yes, it is PORTABLE...
by jnsturges / May 4, 2013 12:26 AM PDT

This is an older MBP, from about 2007, because you implied that it came with OS X Leopard.

So, it sounds to me like the Graphics Chip Set is the real culprit. Take it to the nearest Apple Store and ask them for a repair estimate.

Then, you can decide to repair or replace it. If it needs a new Planar Board, see if you can buy a new non-Retina MBP, instead. The Retina Display units are way too expensive for what you get, IMHO.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.