Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

The CNET Lounge

General discussion

MacBook coming Tuesday?

by MacHugger / May 5, 2006 10:38 AM PDT

Pretty strong indications that Apple will finally be releasing the MacBook (as opposed to the recent MacBook Pros) on Tuesday, May 9th. The rumor has been bumped up from Page 2 to Page 1 on Macrumors after sources are confirming that Apple stores are receiving materials for a Tuesday product release that say "do not open until Tuesday, May 9th."

Who in their right mind working in an Apple store would get such a box and not have that dang thing ripped open in 30 seconds? I mean really.

-Kevin S.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MacBook coming Tuesday?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MacBook coming Tuesday?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The Fear
by AndyInTN / May 5, 2006 10:49 AM PDT

I'd be afraid that Apple would have a camera inside the box that snapped a picture and immediately uploaded it to Apple's HQ. If the box was opened before the 9th, then the contents would dissolve.

Collapse -
Corporate punishment
by MacHugger / May 5, 2006 6:17 PM PDT
In reply to: The Fear

I do sometimes wonder if they don't have something like spot inspections from Apple's Corporate Men in White to see if anybody there has "broken the rules" or whatever other crazy business they do to keep things quiet. Corporate inspections are bizarre and a bit Big Brotherish (I don't know that Apple does anything of the kind).

A buddy of mine works as a bartender at a place called The Yard House and they are constantly being tested by customers who are plants from corporate. If they get so many things wrong, they get marked up and usually fired but if they score above a certain percentage, they get $50 coupons for themselves and a guest to eat/drink at the restaurant.

I'm not sure I've ever actually had to pay to eat/drink there since it's usually on my buddy's dime Happy

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
dum dum de dum dum deedee dooooo...
by JesseThe / May 5, 2006 8:32 PM PDT
In reply to: The Fear

This Pallet of Macbooks is classified top secret and can only be opened on the 9th... your mission if you choose to accept it is to drool in antipation... my reckoning is a reflection of the mac mini lines with both single core and dual core systems..

Collapse -
Speaking of Mission Impossible ....
by barret55 / May 6, 2006 12:56 PM PDT

<totally going off topic here>

Anyone go see MI:3 yet? It was GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD...

-Terry

Collapse -
Nope the reviews say it was rank
by Redhats Q / May 7, 2006 12:52 PM PDT

Beside since I am in NZ I will have to wait for the Movie to hit the theatres here, or download a copy

Neither of which seem apealing right now

Yeah, Back after a leadership retreat weekend where it rained all weekend. I Really missed my net connection

Cold and wet does little for a leadership retreat in the NZ bush, Its nice to have the warmth of my laptop on my leg, If only it were an Ibook/MACBOOK !!!

My only problem is where is the media announcement, Did steve really feel so burnt by the medie responce to the
speakers/leather case/Mini announcements that he is just going to release a product without an announcement ?????

I wanna see an EVENT !!!!

Collapse -
Haven't even given it a thought
by rtemp / May 7, 2006 1:07 PM PDT

Especially since I thought that the 2nd one sucked. Of course, if my friends want to go, I will to, because I'm like that.

-Ryan

Collapse -
I agree with ya ..
by barret55 / May 8, 2006 1:17 AM PDT

I also thought the second one was pretty bad. But, in my humble opinion, I thought this one was much better, and on par with the first one.

-Terry

Collapse -
Event Announcement ???
by Redhats Q / May 8, 2006 8:54 AM PDT

Will they be releasing a media announcement or are they so burn't by the last one thet they are going to roll out a product with no media event ???

Is this the end of the Mac Hype before a release... I REALLY HOPE NOT Sad

Collapse -
Maybe this is totally false but...
by jialuolu-2096123418310153 / May 8, 2006 10:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
is It Tuesday yet ... Are we there yet ????
by Redhats Q / May 9, 2006 9:32 AM PDT

Anyone ... Anything ???

Is anything happening or is this just mac desperation.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Nope...nothing. Rats.
Collapse -
i disagree with ya...
by roberpic / May 9, 2006 10:01 AM PDT

... because it's five o'clock tuesday and... nope, no macbooks (intel ibooks).

gee. i wonder why everyone, especially most mac addicts i talk to, thinks these rumor sites are always right? is it because steve jobs is always suing them; or is it because they keep on guessing until they ARE right. wasn't it just last week that they said they'd be coming? then, they said they'd be coming... today!? now, they're saying they'll be coming NEXT tuesday. of course! NEXT tuesday! why not!?

Collapse -
Who says they're always right?
by MacHugger / May 9, 2006 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: i disagree with ya...

Where did you ever get that anybody said the rumor sites are always right? There was just pretty good evidence that something was afoot because of the extra word to clear inventory of current models.

Mac Rumors does a pretty good job of adding updates and corrections to the rumors to let everybody know more accurate information. Most of us knew within a couple days after the post that it wasn't likely going to be this Tuesday yet.

Hey, let's play a new game xxfoxhoundxx. Why don't we try to guess the imminent date of when Vista is going to ship. Wow, there's a product from a company that not only causes dead people to yawn but has missed it's targeted ship date about half a dozen times already.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
The Rumor Reborn
by Redhats Q / May 9, 2006 10:22 AM PDT

/http://www.thinksecret.com/news/050609macbook.html

Its been delayed a week ... Or so the rumour goes.

All I really wanted to see was a choice of Black or White Ibooks under that pretty transulcent cover kept wark by the core duo processor

... And a light up keyboard, but I doubt I'll get everything I want

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.