MacBooks forum

General discussion

by jsf0102 / October 1, 2010 7:30 PM PDT

I keep getting the message "restart your computer" when I turn my laptop on

Any idea what the problem may be please.

Thank you

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Macbook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Macbook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
While your post is probably factually correct,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 1, 2010 11:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Macbook

it leaves out a number of things.

Does it say this in a multitude of languages?
What OS are you running?
Have you upgraded the RAM lately?
Will it start up correctly if you hold down the Shift key?
Will it start from the OS X installation disk or from the disks that came with the machine?
What flavor of Macbook is it?

The answers to the above may give us a clue as to what is causing the suspected Kernel Panic

Collapse -
Macbook-restart your computer
by jsf0102 / October 3, 2010 1:18 AM PDT

AHT version 3A104 (not sure if this is what you call flavor)

Thank you for answering my post

Collapse -
What do you get when you try to start from the CD's
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 3, 2010 6:57 AM PDT

What sort of MacBook is it?

Can you start it from the AHT disk? (Apple hardware test)

Collapse -
A picture is worth a thousand words, except in this case
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 4, 2010 12:15 PM PDT
In reply to: MACBook

where it tells me nothing.

Unless you are going to play the game and work with me, there is not much more I can do to help you.

Remember, you are the only one that knows exactly what Macbook you have, how old it is, when it started to do all this stuff, what the error message looks like, what you have tried.

Given that your machine will not start from the AHT disk or, apparently, from the OS X installation disks, it would sound like your machine has some serious problems.

I have never seen a "restart your computer" message that was not in a multitude of languages.

Collapse -
I'm guessing
by Jimmy Greystone / October 5, 2010 10:52 AM PDT

I'm guessing that is the 2008 Aluminum MacBook model that was kind of an oddity. There's only one aluminum style MacBook anyway, all others are MBPs. Annoys the crap out of me when one of those comes through at work, because I tend to think it's a MBP because it's a 13" aluminum body.

Of course for all I know, they just picked the first picture they found of a MacBook on Apple's site.

Collapse -
they are running 10.4.x
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 5, 2010 11:33 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm guessing

and the 2008 versions shipped with 10.5

I also suspect that the picture is of one that kinda looks like the one they have.
Hey, It's got an Apple on it.

Collapse -
Thank you
by jsf0102 / October 6, 2010 2:09 AM PDT

I actually sent a picture of our MACbook, not just the first picture I saw.

I appreiate your expertise and was hoping to get help with my issue.

I had the Macbook for 18 month, the message is exactly what I mentioned and it does not start in any way.

Unfortunately, MACBOOKs are more expensive to buy, you would think they last longer but they don't and to get it fixed or even checked for any problem, it costs more than a regular PC.

Thank you for taking the time to read my messages

Collapse -
They usually do last longer than 18 months
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 6, 2010 9:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

and with the optional AppleCare, always advised on a laptop, they get repaired for free for 3 years.

As I mentioned earlier, I have not see a "you must restart your Mac" message that was not in a multitude of languages.

Have you tried Zapping the PRAM? Start up with the Control + Option + P + R keys held down at the first chime and hold them all down for a further two chimes.

Have you tried starting in Safe Mode. Hold down the SHIFT key at the chime and keep it down until you see the spinning gear

Have you tried starting in Single User mode? Hold down the "S" key at the chime and keep it down until the spinning gear

Have you tried starting with the AHT disk in the DVD drive and holding down the "D" key?

Any chance of a picture of this "restart" screen?

Collapse -
Kernel Panic
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 6, 2010 10:03 PM PDT

presents the restart in multiple languages.

You state that the message is not in multiple languages.

Collapse -
by jsf0102 / October 7, 2010 12:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Kernel Panic

It's only in english

Collapse -
(NT) Pictures please
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 7, 2010 2:26 AM PDT
In reply to: yes
Collapse -
jsf0102 now states that the Restart Message
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 16, 2010 12:17 AM PDT
In reply to: yes

is actually in multiple languages.

So now we know it is a Kernal Panic.

Faulty memory may be a factor here, especially as they are unable to start the Mac from any media, including the original Restore disks.

It also will not start in Safe Mode.

Collapse -
Is it possible that this "Macbook"
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 7, 2010 10:25 AM PDT

is actually a Hackintosh?

Just wondering as there is a Hackintosh patch that makes everything into English only

Collapse -
I don't think so
by jsf0102 / October 7, 2010 9:51 PM PDT

We bought it as a Macbook

Collapse -
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 7, 2010 9:55 PM PDT
In reply to: I don't think so

If it doesn't boot from a bootable disk, somethings is very wrong. Find a qualified repair center to find out what and how much repair would cost.

Collapse -
Without a picture
by Jimmy Greystone / October 7, 2010 11:19 PM PDT

Without a picture of the message you're getting, we're just fumbling around in the dark hoping we get lucky. Kernel panic messages have always been in about 5 different languages, which you say you aren't getting. So that means something else is going on which either you're not explaining very well, or none of the rest of us have ever run into.

We're either going to need to see a photo of this message, or you'll have to take it somewhere to be looked at, because there's only so much we can do working blind like we are.

Collapse -
by Jkirk3279 / October 15, 2010 1:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Without a picture

This isn't adding up.

I note you posted a similar question April 7th 2009 !

jsf0102, do you have a camera?

It occurs to me your husband might have installed Windows on that MacBook and that's why nothing makes sense.

You should really see if you have an Apple Store nearby.

Collapse -
Email me the Serial Number by
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 8, 2010 12:19 AM PDT

clicking on my username and choosing email from the resulting profile page.

That, and a picture of the message, maybe could help here

Collapse -
by jsf0102 / October 15, 2010 10:50 PM PDT

Thank you for your help, I will have to take it to MAC store

Collapse -
by socgen / October 23, 2010 10:43 PM PDT

You could take the picture with mac-OS by typing together :

Collapse -
Kernel Panic
by socgen / October 23, 2010 10:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Macbook

Step 1
if you have this issue, try to boot from another disk (thru the Firewire connector)

Step 2
if it does not work the issue may come from
a) the RAM memory (switch the mempry ram)
b) the mother card

Collapse -
Thank you
by jsf0102 / October 24, 2010 1:58 AM PDT

I am not able to get it to work, I have an estimate of $699 to get it fixed.
Not sure when I will be able to get it fixed.

Thank you for all your messages.

Collapse -
$699 ?
by Jkirk3279 / October 25, 2010 10:44 AM PDT

The only part that could be that much would be a blown logic board.

Did you get any more details?

Collapse -
That assumes
by Jimmy Greystone / October 25, 2010 1:36 PM PDT
In reply to: $699 ?

That assumes it's just one part. I work as an Apple repair tech, and there have been times where a system comes in with Problem A, and while I'm trying to verify that Problem A actually exists and someone didn't just misdiagnose (which sadly happens all too often) I find Problems B and C. And it's not always a case of where someone guts a system, then returns it.

Collapse -
Firewire's not necessary
by Jimmy Greystone / October 24, 2010 4:42 AM PDT

Firewire's not necessary with any MacBook. That was a PPC requirement, and even a few of the very last PPC iBooks and PowerBooks could boot from USB.

And if it's going to cost $700 to repair, and a new system with better specs would cost $1,000... It just doesn't seem in any way economical to even bother repairing. Pull the HDD out, slap it in an external enclosure, sell the rest on eBay as is for parts. Hopefully you'll be able to make enough to make up most of the difference on the new system.

Collapse -
Thank you
by jsf0102 / October 25, 2010 10:16 PM PDT

I appreciate all your advice.
Somehow, I have to get it fixed sooner or later. The Macbook was a present from my husband just before he passed away.

Thank you again for all your help

Collapse -
by Jkirk3279 / October 27, 2010 1:08 AM PDT

Did you go to an Apple Store or an affiliate? Better odds with the Apple Store.

I guess you didn't get the AppleCare insurance? Although if you'd been able to take this MB in at once it might still have been under warranty.

There are a few things you could try.

Kernel Panics can be caused by defective RAM, or a blown logic board, a bad USB peripheral (probably not on your MacBook unless you've had a mouse plugged in all this while), and just possible a bad hard drive.

The very first thing to do is take out the RAM and re-seat it.

Just being not-quite plugged in can cause an error. Doesn't happen often though.

It would be better if you could find, even borrow, the correct RAM sticks from somebody.

That would quickly verify if the RAM was the problem.

Working with RAM requires you use precautions against static.

It's easy to get a (cheap) copper ground strap bracelet for this and run a wire to your copper plumbing.

Or go nuts and hammer in a ground rod outdoors, $10 at Menards. Run the wire to the rod.

I'm not going to recommend using the ground plug on your electrical outlet because
a) I like you, and
b) I don't want you to die if you plug the wire in wrong (which is why even I mention it at all).

The bracelet makes sure static can't build up in your body and fry the RAM.

Just pop the RAM out, rub the gold contacts gently with a pencil eraser, brush off the crumbs with a cotton swab, and put it back in the slot.

Come to think of it, if you have an Apple Store locally, you could ask the Genius to do this. They get paid to help people, not run up repair bills.

If reseating the RAM doesn't work the HD is next. A bit more challenging, but new HD's are not expensive.

You'd need the right Torx screwdrivers. A printed guide for your MB, and some tape to stick the screws to the printout as you take them off.

That way you know exactly where to put them back.

If it's neither the HD or the RAM it would have to be the Logic Board somewhere.

BTW, any further details on where you took the MB and what they said would be welcome.

Collapse -
Thank you very much
by jsf0102 / October 27, 2010 2:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Well...

Here is what I was told, I did not take it to them, I just emailed them the issue:
The error message you describe is called a kernel panic. It can be caused by faulty hardware, specifically by a faulty logic board. We can repair your current logic board for $699. Due to the complexity of logic board repairs, they generally take 3-5 business days to complete. This price would include all installation and part costs, and free round-trip ground shipping (we do have expedited shipping options available). Additionally, each one of our orders comes complete with a free full diagnosis by our Apple Certified technicians, in hopes of eliminating all possible problems with your machine, and giving you the widest range of repair or replacement options. After we complete the analysis we will make it a point to contact you with the results, and will not perform any repairs with out your authorization or prior consent.
Typically most services can be completed within one business day of receiving your machine and your approval of repairs (with the exception of Logic Board repairs). To send in your machine for service you may place an order over the phone by calling 877-622-3473 or online at If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to contact me at the information provided below.

I am so gratfull for your help, I am not handy but if you know someone who can fix it for less than the $699, I am willing to ship it over.

Thank you again

Collapse -
That price is what someone else
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 27, 2010 3:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you very much

would have to pay out for the replacement logic board.

That is non-refundable and may not be the problem.

Whatever repair you have done will only carry a 90Day warranty.

You can get a Brand New MacBook for $999 and that will have a 12 month warranty

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.