MacBooks forum

Question

MacBook 4,1 death by dim green light-HELP!

by tahoedesignworks / November 14, 2012 12:41 PM PST

After making a tough call and installing new cdrom drive, upgrading HD, and maxing memory RATHER than buying a new computer that I can't afford, my MacBook suddenly won't charge or turn on. Get a dim green light on magsafe connector and no battery blips.

After researching, narrowed it down to bad charger, bad magsafe input board or bad logic board. Bought refurb charger, no go. Bought new magsafe bd, no go. Can't make myself replace the logic board even after all the money i've thrown at this!

Anybody have any thoughts on what I can try before parting out this computer and buying an enclosure for the HD? Pretty, pretty please Happy

Battery was working great before, but I've heard they can de-charge to the point of death. Worth pursuing? Can't boot into target mode, or run any kind of repairs without it turning on--any other options?

Thanks in advance, Mark
MacBook 4,1
OSX 10.5

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MacBook 4,1 death by dim green light-HELP!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MacBook 4,1 death by dim green light-HELP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Remove the battery and try a boot without it,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 14, 2012 9:15 PM PST

sounds like you damaged something when you were taking apart/reassembling the MacBook.

Open it up again and check ALL the connections

P

Collapse -
Thanks for the thoughts!
by tahoedesignworks / November 15, 2012 3:50 PM PST

Nope, won't boot with or without battery installed. Arrgh!

Actually the upgraded computer was working great for about 3 weeks before charging issue came up.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Collapse -
BUMP
by tahoedesignworks / November 19, 2012 4:51 PM PST

I'm gonna bump this just once! Please any additional ideas?

I'm really on my last legs here! To add to matters, I'm having trouble with my wifes iPhone and need to update the iOS before at&t will create a case number. U guessed it, the dead computer in question is the only one I have that will run a new enough version of iTunes to connect to the phone.

thanks in advance, Peace.

Collapse -
What did you find when you opened it up
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 19, 2012 8:53 PM PST
In reply to: BUMP

and checked ALL the connections?

P

Collapse -
Didn't find much!
by tahoedesignworks / November 23, 2012 3:56 PM PST

Well, there are thousands of connections, and I checked, er, maybe 20 (focusing on items that I'd worked on in the case).

But short of making sure sockets are clean and engaged, and nothing is obviously out of place, there's not much else to do inside. Did check output on charger, that's good.

Like I said, there was a period of time after upgrading all of those components in the OP when the computer was charging fine and behaving normally. Otherwise, I'd suspect something fouled during the process.

Don't have another battery to try, and don't want to buy one just to check.

Any other options in terms of troubleshooting? I've read a fair number of people running up against the "dim green light" but a lot seem to be able to boot their machine while the power chord is attached. Not me. Does that indicate anything?

Thanks again!

Collapse -
Other than a logic board issue,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 23, 2012 10:33 PM PST
In reply to: Didn't find much!

I have run out of ideas

Sorry

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.