Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

mac windows interoperability

by lakim1 / December 16, 2012 5:07 AM PST

Hi, sorry of this is a no brainer.. but..

I've heard it said that if you're doing a 'mac-based' course - let's say Music Production for example - and you're going to be working at home, you should buy a mac because it's compatible with the mac suites at Uni.

But my own brief research suggests that although macs have a slightly preferable architecture (for deaing with audio and graphics), it is perfectly possible to produce a file on a Windows platform and then edit that file on a mac platform.

is that right?

thanks in advance

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: mac windows interoperability
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: mac windows interoperability
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's talk about that. Just that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2012 5:14 AM PST

Apple gets to control the entire system from the hardware to the OS so they get to tune it in to a much finer degree than Microsoft. MSFT is going to try to catch up by bringing out their own devices but their first round (the Windows 8 RT tablet) is not doing well.

Hope this helps you understand the basic reason why the Apple gets a little edge.

That being said you have fans on both sides that will divert you and tug you in every direction. Stay focused and agnostic here and you'll be better off.

So everyone's right here. Some more than others.

Collapse -
by lakim1 / December 16, 2012 5:19 AM PST

weird forum structure - you create a new heading each time?

Was your post intended to be a reply to my question R Proffitt? Cos it very wasn't sorry

Collapse -
You asked if you were right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2012 5:26 AM PST
In reply to: eh?

I expanded on the subject on how Apple gets their edge on such work. Microsoft has a much harder time of this because of the huge variety of machines.

I see this expansion was lost and if you want to be told you are right, just say so and folk will do that and maybe not.

Collapse -
My question was -
by lakim1 / December 16, 2012 6:05 AM PST

is it possible to produce a file on a Windows platform and then edit that file on a mac platform?

I'm looking for a yes or no really

Collapse -
All files are interchangeable.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2012 8:07 AM PST
In reply to: My question was -

So that's a yes.

But let's be clear here. We didn't dive into anything deeper than that. I'm an software author, hardware designer so I can "edit" any file on almost any platform. But if you have to bring this down to the user level you need the same app to edit with for them.

Be careful with your questions. Or rather, you need to ask a better question such as:

"Can I edit BoomBox files from my Apple on my PC?"

The answer to that is easier. You'll want BoomBox, the app on your PC and check with the maker/author to see if they support cross platform edits and transfer.

I use all the machines and OSes and some apps in this discussion so until we get down to details, the answer is yes.

Collapse -
got it
by lakim1 / December 17, 2012 2:57 AM PST

thank you bob

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.