Computer Newbies

Question

Mac vs PC for photo editing

by eelj1974 / December 19, 2012 1:02 AM PST

So I'm not new to computers, but I'm newish to photo editing. In other words I understand some technical jargon. I'm going to be doing more editing and manipulating with my photography. I'm an amateur photographer, but I may try to sell a few photos in the future. I like iPhoto for very basic stuff. But I'm thinking of using Photoshop or Lightroom. So my question is: Are Mac's really better for photo editing than a PC? I've used PC's in the past as I've played around with photo editing for my own use. But before I go and dump the large sum on a Mac I want to make sure it's worth it. Or if I'd be able to find a good PC in the sub $900 range for my use.
My other uses for the computer will be internet surfing, video streaming, emailing, and listening to music. Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mac vs PC for photo editing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mac vs PC for photo editing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Let's skip a lot and get down to it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2012 1:06 AM PST

PhotoShop is the same on both but where does the Mac give you some edge?

1. Color consistency among models. Your average PC is rarely the same color on the display.
2. Apple gets to tune the system for smoother (most of the time) use.

You can fix the color issue with a color calibration and getting a nice IPS display.
Bob

Collapse -
Your suggestion?
by eelj1974 / January 2, 2013 7:25 AM PST

So Bob,
Are you suggesting I buck-up and pay the premium for a Mac? If so would I need to pay for the overpriced Retina display or is the regular display good enough? Remembering that I am not a professional photographer. Thanks.

Ethan

Collapse -
For many the regular display is good enough.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 7:29 AM PST
In reply to: Your suggestion?

I didn't think the price was out of line for leading edge products. It's been this way for decades now. But let's get back to basics.

Even a non-pro photoshop user needs good color control. I've lost count of the bad editing I've seen because the folk never knew about color calibrators, calibration and such.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Mac vs PC for photo editing
by patrickwilson86 / February 13, 2013 6:44 PM PST

Macs aren't inherently better than PCs. People tend to say that they don't have any problems on Mac while on their PC they ran into all sort of problems. The fact is that people have problems on every operating system, some more, some less. Usually you get more powerful PC with the same money you'd pay for a Mac. But also usually you need to tinker a bit more with the PC while Mac should work fine straight out of the box. And usually you get more powerful desktop than laptop for a given amount of money. If it wasn't clear already the operative word here is usually. Grin

Most software are for both OSX and Windows. But if you're Aperture user (which I highly doubt based on your questions) you'd need to get a Mac since it doesn't exist for Windows.

With that said, get the computer with most RAM and best graphics card you can afford. Of course other factors are important too but Photoshop hogs as much RAM as you let it, and the more it gets the faster it works.

Also you might want to consider if the screen is glossy or matte. Glossy screens are great in dark rooms but in daylight you probably get all sort of reflections.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/259293/how_to_build_a_pc_for_photographers.html

http://www.photographytalk.com/photography-articles/2988-top-11-computers-any-photographer-would-love-to-own

http://notrightinthehead.net/2012/10/14/best-computer-photography/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.