Mac OS forum

General discussion

Mac users PLEASE ANSWER ME

by angryfirelord / July 13, 2005 6:54 AM PDT

I'm really getting sick of Windows. Too many holes and problems.

Is Mac a worthy alternative and what games are out there for Mac? I run Warcraft which is for Mac as well.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mac users PLEASE ANSWER ME
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mac users PLEASE ANSWER ME
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 13, 2005 9:05 AM PDT

Check out the usual Game Makers for specific games for the Mac

P

Collapse -
Boot Camp?
by rd55127 / January 16, 2009 1:33 PM PST
In reply to: Yes

I use Bootcamp to run Windows Vista Ultimate on my iMac 2.8. Tried VMware but it didn't work well with games. Bootcamp not only works great but provides performance comparable to my Sony 3.0 GHz Windows machine. Advantage of Bootcamp is that you can use your current investment in Windows games without having to buy the Mac versions (where available).

Collapse -
Mac Games
by mossad67 / July 13, 2005 4:58 PM PDT

Let's see what I have on my shelf above my Dual G5 PowerMac:
Max Payne
Command and Conquer Generals
Halo
Diablo II
Warcraft III
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, Spearhead, Breakthrough
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Battlefield 1942, plus Road to Rome and Secret Weapons
Call of Duty plus allied offensive
Lord of the Rings
Those are just a few. So dump your PC and get a Mac.

Collapse -
More games
by battlinjack / July 29, 2005 5:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Mac Games
Collapse -
Using Macs
by mimac400se / July 15, 2005 6:36 AM PDT

I have recently come back into macs, sick of viruses etc with windows.
I have now got a G5, its marvellous no crashes so far.
Mac OSX is so easy to use, adding camers, scanners etc piece of cake.
Never going back to windows not unless I have to.

Collapse -
You CAN be happy with a Mac
by Gino Gusmano / July 17, 2005 12:30 PM PDT

I grew sick and tired of running anti-virus and anti-spyware applications. When it came time to get a new machine, I decided that it was at least worth trying a Mac to putting up with Windows.

I have been pleasantly surprised. I bought a Mac Mini and I couldn't be happier. Generally, I find performance better than my 3.0 GHz machine at work because OS X is outstanding at multitasking. That is not to say a 1.4GHz machine is faster than a 3.0 machine, but rather that, in everyday applications I don't notice a difference.

If gaming is that important to you, then a Mac may not a good fit. It's the weakest area of software. Otherwise, you'll end up falling in love with the fit and finish of OS X.

Check out the following site for Mac game news:

http://www.macgamefiles.com

A great place to learn about the differences in operating systems is:

http://www.xvsxp.com/

Macs aren't perfect, but then again, nothing is. What you'll find is attention to detail in the operating system and applications you've never seen in the PC world.

I'm not trying to bash PCs. My Dell desktop served me very well. PCs have an incredible selection of games. But Macs are a great alternative.

Collapse -
Re: You CAN be Happy with a Mac. I agree, plus more...
by longofest / July 20, 2005 5:39 AM PDT

I very much agree with the post ''You CAN be happy with a Mac.''

I am a big gamer, but I also use my computer for just about everything! So this is my setup that you may want to consider:

My main computer is my PowerMac because it never gets viruses, the Operating System is very stable (although sometimes certain programs will unexpectedly quit, the OS won't go down), it has a lot of cool features like a powerful search system called ''spotlight'' that I have quickly grown very attached to. Also, there are a lot of add-on's... I watch TV on my Mac with Elgato's EyeTV (www.elgato.com), and then there's iLife which is Apple's suite of digital lifestyle programs. The mac version of MS Office is in some ways better than the MS version too.

Now, I do have a lot of the games that one person mentioned earlier, but I'll be honest. As a gamer, I began to grow weary of the hit-and-miss tendency of developers to port games. So, I decided to keep around a Windows box ONLY for games and the development work that I have to do on Windows.

So, yes, you can be very happy with the Mac. There are plenty of products out there for you to play with and work with, and Apple will keep you well supported. However, if you really are a hard-core gamer, keep your PC around and invest in a KVM for doing the games. Your Mac can do everything else though that is, shall we say, ''mission critical.''

Collapse -
I'm really getting sick of Windows.
by jcrobso / July 25, 2005 12:46 AM PDT

I'm sure you would miss all of that spyware and virus fun if you switched!! LOL John

Collapse -
Mac mmorpgs
by Nicoprout / February 9, 2008 12:55 AM PST

Are'nt there any good mmorpgs 4 mac besides runecspae and world of warcraft?
I have a G5. verytime i surf the web 4 games, i can never play them or its like 10 $ a month.

Collapse -
mac have limited games to play
by vin608 / December 14, 2008 5:34 PM PST

i am a mac user of course and there are only two option,first option is to buy a macbook as well as xp because it does not support your game so you need the xp sp2,the price is about 150-200. the second option is to buy a pc and download the free AVIRA that keep you protected from virus and spams

Collapse -
The hardware isn't there
by AkulaTheDeathScythe / December 17, 2008 8:19 PM PST

Problem with gaming on a Mac is that you're limited to the hardware that Apple offers. You can't really endter the realm of truely high end gaming rigs with OSX as an operating system due to the Hardware constraints of the OS. For a wondows based machine you can build your own computer relativly cheaply and easily and put whatever it is you need in it. The closest you can come while using OSX is by building a hackintosh which still limits you to certain cpu's, motherboards, ram, etc.

Also the lack of games, don't throw crap at me about that statement. Its true there are far less games due to he fact that the mac user base is significantly smaller and generally percieved by game publishes as not being gmaers.

Collapse -
(NT) But at least they have a system wide spell checker
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 17, 2008 8:56 PM PST
Collapse -
Sorry bout that
by AkulaTheDeathScythe / December 17, 2008 10:48 PM PST

My spelling is terrible and Opera 10 which has a spell check won't be out for a while yet. Also I've got a Mac wireless keyboard that I use these days for my system since it’s so small; I'm still getting used to the different feel of it XD.

Collapse -
Not really a problem but,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 18, 2008 8:52 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry bout that

be aware that spell checking is available in Opera version 9.63 which is what I am posting this on.

Check under the Edit menu and you will find Check Spelling.

It does tend to detract from your argument if the spelling is incorrect.

P

Collapse -
Ah I see
by AkulaTheDeathScythe / December 18, 2008 2:58 PM PST

I have my menu bar disabled in opera so I never really noticed the spell check function. I'll stick with my current regime of typing things in Word on my other computer and just copy pasting it into the reply field on this one. I normally do that but for some reason on that on post I blanked at just typed something out, I think I was frustrated with a family computer problem that turned out to be a waste of my time, happens to often. :/

Collapse -
The hardware is most certainly there
by BeatleMegaFan / December 18, 2008 5:03 AM PST

Most Intel Macs can play the average game or two. World of Warcraft doesn't require high specs to run on a Mac. A good Core 2 Duo chip and a real GPU can get the job done. The OP stated that he was already playing WoW, which isn't one of the most demanding or powerful games out there. He probably wasn't looking for something like an Alienware or a tricked out quad-core machine.

1. Custom machines are always/usually better deal than a stock machine from any manufacturer. No one is disputing that.
2. Hackintoshes can be unreliable, for the most part. It may be okay to mess with OS X on non-Apple hardware, but I certainly wouldn't recommend that solution as a permanent alternative to a real Mac or Windows PC.
3. There are less games written for OS X, but you can run Windows on any Intel Mac. With that in mind, you can run games on a Mac just like any other computer.

What hardware isn't there? The platform is more than capable of some gaming. And the whole part of a Mac is to get a machine and system from Apple. Just my two cents.

-BMF

This thread is over two years old. Why bother with this in the first place?

Collapse -
You can run windows on any current mac.
by AkulaTheDeathScythe / December 18, 2008 6:19 AM PST

-That doesn't change the fact that you are still limited to the hardware configurations offered by apple, which for gaming purposes are not the best.

-It doesn't take much at all to run WoW, but it's an old game these days and current and future games in next year will require more and more from a system. I wasn't making my basis on OP playing WoW but instead on gaming these days and in the near future.

-There was a recent post in this thread. I had never seen this thread before and when reading it through initially I didn't pay attention to the post date.

-A hackintosh is good for experimenting with and not much more. I was just using it as an example due to the fact that you are rather limited when building one due to hardware compatibility with OSX86.

-Macs are nice machines, I myself would buy one if i didn't need to get a desktop to replace part of my current multiple laptop jerry rigged monstrosity.

-I'm on the Mac forums because I generally find people here more interesting then on windows and Linux ones where I don't even bother trying to help people anymore because I'm tired of dealing with people on them.

Collapse -
Mac Gaming
by BeatleMegaFan / December 18, 2008 8:18 AM PST

1. No it doesn't, but honestly, the 24-inch iMacs and the Mac Pro pack enough muscle to run most games. Of course, the Mac Pro is expensive to upgrade, even if you are getting exceptional performance and power, which is no bad thing. The iMac isn't upgradeable, but the screen is gorgeous, the processor is fast (on all but the low-end 20-inch model), and with 4GB of RAM and the NVIDIA graphics card, you're good to go. Is Apple hardware "the best" of all the computing world? No, but its far from the worst. Apple's OS and hardware integration provide even better performance, so either way, any new Intel Mac solution will work fine. Limited? Yes, but I'll say it again: that's fine if you're going to be using the Mac OS. If you really want to play Windows games or regular games in general, buy a mid-tower or an Xbox. That's nice and simple.

2. Evolving software and gear always demand more resources, and usually, the consumer hardware is updated to meet those requirements. In some cases, such as Crysis or some quad-core chips, there are few solutions on the other end capable of taking advantage of every capability offered (Ex. many PCs do not run Crysis very well and many programs can't take advantage of multiple cores or large amounts of RAM yet).

3. Just saying. In these cases, I think it makes more sense to create a new discussion rather than contribute to an old one, but it is no matter. Plus, I'm doing it myself. Wink

4. Agreed. It's fine to experiment with OS X on your own computer, but in the case of Psystar and some of these new Mac clone vendors, they are modifying and then selling copies of Apple's software, which just seems wrong. They market it as the same thing when it's not. Use the system's software updater and you break the computer.

5. It sounds like you haven't used a real Mac extensively. If you wanted, you could find an older PowerPC Mac on eBay or a last-gen Intel Mac to play with; they wouldn't be as expensive as a brand new model. Because the Mac environment is more restricted than the Windows side (hardware and software-wise), it simply works better in some areas than Windows does. That may be more opinion than fact, but considering the great performance I get out of my Mac, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to run OS X on anything else.

6. My experience with other OS users seems similar to yours: my friends who use Linux hate everything that isn't open-source and they poke fun at all of the Windows/Mac stereotypes. My Windows friends are more tolerant of Linux, but steer clear from Apple computers. I am probably considered by many to swear by Apple products, but I prefer to be in the middle of the road. I lean towards Apple products, but I still think its good to question Apple's actions and motives just like any company. I think Steve Wozniak was right when he said Mac fanatics are wrong to cling to Apple as some sort of cult or religion; users should tell the company what they want, not the other way around. I think we saw a rare example of that with the iPhone 3G and the App Store, since it seems clear that the new user database was pushing for it, against Apple's wishes (apparently, that is). Would have happened anyway though. Glad it did; my iPhone is a great device, and OS 2.2 works better than any other mobile platform I've worked with.

-BMF

Collapse -
Little experince
by AkulaTheDeathScythe / December 18, 2008 9:08 AM PST
In reply to: Mac Gaming

My only real experience with OSX has been through dual booting my HP dv9500 with Vista/OSX86, which I did mostly so I could learn the OS in order to help out some friends and family. The only experience I have with using Mac hardware is through trying out friends’ computers and through playing with the new Macbooks at the Mac store downtown while needlessly quizzing the employees there just because I'm bored.

That said, as far as hardware goes, they're all quite something. I'm not talking like mind blowing or anything as I still hold faithful to what I said about hardware limitations for gaming and what not. But I was looking at the case layout for the Mac Pros, and dear god, I spent an hour just analyzing the thing. I love where they put the RAM and the layout for it, as well as the open space for the video card and the nice drive bays for the HDDs. And as always I've had my eye on a Macbook, especially since the higher end one has a backlit keyboard, something that I always love. Although I'm a little disheartened at the problems from the 8000 series nvidia cards still being present in the new 9000s in the Macbook and Macbook pro.

This is all way off the topic of this thread though, maybe time for a new one on the subject of hardware and all that?

Collapse -
What do serious game authors work with?
by UKTroll / January 17, 2009 9:21 AM PST
In reply to: Little experince

Just a little food for thought having stumbled across this old thread: If Macs are so bad for gaming, why are so many of the games for PCs and other platforms designed using Macs and then written into the appropriate platform code? (Ignoring those done on mainframe systems). Don't forget that Bill Gates started out with Word for Macs!

They're not generally produced for Macs due to the limited distribution channels plus lower returns, and because most serious Mac users run all sorts of PC software on their Macs quite happily. I got a high-end PC for gaming, but hardly ever bother to switch it on when I can fire up my PC games quite fast enough on my MacBook Pro 17" - and I don't get sore wrists...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.