Mac OS forum

Resolved Question

Mac to Windows Outlook Email Attachments: Save to Disc

by Steve 1 2 3 / September 12, 2012 12:59 AM PDT

iMac 2011: OS 10.8.1 (Mountain Lion); Windows: Various.

This problem is in discussion forums going back to 2008 and before but with no solution yet. A significant proportion of Mac users (and their Windows-Outlook friends) are affected. I am one of those Mac users.

The problem is when a Mac user sends an image by email attachment to a Windows user using Outlook. The Mac user, using Mail, attaches the image (a .jpg) to the message by pressing the paper clip button and selecting the file in the resulting file list. (There are two other ways but they make no difference.) As it appears on the Mac's message window it is open and at the bottom of the message (unless a setting on the Mac puts it in the text). When received by my Outlook users, the attachment is also open and can by viewed, but sometimes there is no icon with the name of the attachment file - only the opened image is seen.

In many cases, the Windows recipient cannot save the image file to disc for later use. That is the problem. In many cases the following do not work:

Windows:

1. Using Right Click on the opened image (although a Windows friend using Windows Live Mail can use this method);

2. Choosing File > Save Attachment;

3. Clicking on the email attachment icon (often there is no icon);

Mac:

4. In Mail, Edit > Attachments > Always Send Windows-Friendly Attachments; and Edit > Attachments > Always Insert Attachments at end of message, are both set to on;

5. In Mail > Preferences > Composing > Message Format is set to Plain Text.

Sometimes none of these work.

As far as I know, there is nothing else a Mac owner can do to specify how the image will be sent.

These (at the Mac and Windows ends) are variously given on discussion boards as the solution. They don't work for me and my Windows-Outlook friends.

Has ANYONE got an answer to this long-standing problem please, that works with all Windows users?

Steve 1 2 3 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mac to Windows Outlook Email Attachments: Save to Disc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mac to Windows Outlook Email Attachments: Save to Disc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Steve 1 2 3

Collapse -
SOLVED!
by Steve 1 2 3 / December 5, 2012 6:51 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
Amendment to my post
by Steve 1 2 3 / September 12, 2012 1:03 AM PDT

Delete the sentence "Sometimes none of these work. " in my post.

Collapse -
Mail Version 6
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 12, 2012 9:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Amendment to my post

I know this does not help you but I send picture attachments to my work address frequently and do not have this problem.

We have an Exchange Server and are running Outlook 2010, although I have been doing this since the Outlook 2000

I'm wondering if this is not an Outlook problem.

P

Collapse -
Answer
Just one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 12, 2012 1:08 AM PDT

1. Windows Live.

Sorry but that app has issues. I just nod and tell them to use something else. Some want it fixed but if MSFT can't fix it, why do you expect others to fix it?

It appears that Windows Live continues to apply to the other questions and if someone can't learn that it has issues, give them more time.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: mac mail
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 12, 2012 1:09 AM PDT

Did you already try to use Thunderbird (free email program) in stead of Mac Mail?
http://mozilla-thunderbird.nl.softonic.com/mac/download is the link.

I don't dare to suggest the Mac version of Outlook. That would be an expensive solution. But Thunderbird is free, so worth a try.

Kees

Collapse -
Let Windows neanderthals deal with it.
by wheresjbob / December 13, 2012 1:39 AM PST
In reply to: Re: mac mail

As a mac user, I'm not installing a different email program because the OS of Mass Corruption (Windows) can't handle something as simple as an embedded image in their email. Why do Mac users have to stoop to the lowest common denominator to accommodate handicapped OS's???

Collapse -
Its not a separate program
by Steve 1 2 3 / December 13, 2012 3:46 AM PST

I agree, but I didn't make my message clear, apologies: Attachment Tamer is an add-on to Mail. Having chosen a few settings in Attachment Tamer's prefs, (which become part of Mail's prefs.), Mail behaves exactly the same (except for outgoing messages showing in Mail in icon form, which is the point of Attachment Tamer).

Attachment Tamer works perfectly.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.