I got Attachment Tamer. Problem gone!
iMac 2011: OS 10.8.1 (Mountain Lion); Windows: Various.
This problem is in discussion forums going back to 2008 and before but with no solution yet. A significant proportion of Mac users (and their Windows-Outlook friends) are affected. I am one of those Mac users.
The problem is when a Mac user sends an image by email attachment to a Windows user using Outlook. The Mac user, using Mail, attaches the image (a .jpg) to the message by pressing the paper clip button and selecting the file in the resulting file list. (There are two other ways but they make no difference.) As it appears on the Mac's message window it is open and at the bottom of the message (unless a setting on the Mac puts it in the text). When received by my Outlook users, the attachment is also open and can by viewed, but sometimes there is no icon with the name of the attachment file - only the opened image is seen.
In many cases, the Windows recipient cannot save the image file to disc for later use. That is the problem. In many cases the following do not work:
1. Using Right Click on the opened image (although a Windows friend using Windows Live Mail can use this method);
2. Choosing File > Save Attachment;
3. Clicking on the email attachment icon (often there is no icon);
4. In Mail, Edit > Attachments > Always Send Windows-Friendly Attachments; and Edit > Attachments > Always Insert Attachments at end of message, are both set to on;
5. In Mail > Preferences > Composing > Message Format is set to Plain Text.
Sometimes none of these work.
As far as I know, there is nothing else a Mac owner can do to specify how the image will be sent.
These (at the Mac and Windows ends) are variously given on discussion boards as the solution. They don't work for me and my Windows-Outlook friends.
Has ANYONE got an answer to this long-standing problem please, that works with all Windows users?