Mac OS forum

General discussion

Mac Tax Software

by z1221 / January 7, 2009 10:53 AM PST

Good evening cnet community. As tax season is breathing down my neck, I am in need of a tax software that I can use on my Mac. Is there an affordable and easy to use tax software out there for the Mac?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mac Tax Software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mac Tax Software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did a quick Google Search
by BeatleMegaFan / January 7, 2009 1:03 PM PST
In reply to: Mac Tax Software
Collapse -
TurboTax
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 8, 2009 12:18 AM PST

Mine came in the mail and was free.

Does Federal but not State.

P

Collapse -
Switch to online
by ericP3 / January 9, 2009 11:18 PM PST

You might want to try the online versions.. I did 2 years ago and love it. They run on any machine PC or Mac, keep your data online from the previous year, are automatically updated, and less software filling up your hard drive.

I've used both turbotax and HRblock online versions. Take a look

Eric

Collapse -
partial answer:)
by da ben dan / January 10, 2009 5:14 AM PST

Quicktax says that they will have a program later this month available for Mac users. But becareful of their website because it does not tell you that what is there right now is not Mac compatible. You don't find that out until after you have paid for it and try to download it. However, they were really good about refunding my money.

Collapse -
BTW
by da ben dan / January 10, 2009 5:15 AM PST
In reply to: partial answer:)

I am Canadian so my previous message is about income tax in Canada.

Collapse -
TurboTax
by onemoremile / January 10, 2009 5:31 AM PST

I have used both TurboTax and TaxCut in the past and have found that TurboTax has become a little easier to use in the last couple of years. They are priced about the same and should both give you accurate results unless you have an extremely complicated tax return. If your income is under a certain limit you can use free online tax preparation software. You prepare your return and file it, all online and all for free. See http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=118986,00.html

Collapse -
TurboTax or Free Online if your taxes are simple
by mactoids / January 22, 2009 8:04 AM PST
In reply to: TurboTax

I've used Tax software for the last 8 years and much prefer TurboTax over any others. I only switched to TaxCut for a single year - that was the year TurboTax pulled that incredibly stupid move with the activation scheme. I forget now which year that was but there was such customer base outrage that they quickly abandoned this idiocy - and I returned to using their software the following year.

Having said that... if your taxes are simple, you may be better off just using the online services instead of purchasing stand-alone software.

Collapse -
On line works
by boni777 / January 19, 2009 5:11 AM PST

Last year I did my taxes on TurboTax, whatever-the-other-big-one-is and one I had never heard of, Tax Slayer. I used the same info, and Tax Slayer gave me the largest refund. I don't remember what I paid, if anything, but it wasn't much. And, it doesn't matter what computer you have, since it's online.

Collapse -
share my experience of using the tax software,
by emily jackson / December 27, 2009 4:26 PM PST

OH, I had the same experience as yours, but recommend by a friend,I have used TradeMax for a year, it's really easy-to-use and you can track your trade performance very conveniently. I don't know how many records you have, if you have large quantity of transactions, TradeMax support unlimited records. and its price is also very reasonable..
wish you good luck!

Collapse -
tax
by wilson-lee / December 29, 2009 1:11 PM PST

Thank you for your recommendation. i will have a try..to use this software.

Collapse -
TradeMax
by emily jackson / January 26, 2010 4:49 PM PST

I have used TradeMax for one year..It is a full featured tax software specifically designed for active investors or traders who have multiple accounts to manage their trade data, maximize their gain/loss strategy, prepare their Schedule D or Mark to Market form 4797

Collapse -
This is my requirement, TradeMax Match?
by willishdo / January 17, 2011 5:06 PM PST
In reply to: TradeMax

record investment purchases and sales
- record capital gains distributions and dividend distributions
- maintain accurate records of purchases and cap gains to establish cost basis for tax purposes - I'd like to sell shares someday and take advantage of designating specific lots for sale instead of using average cost basis (this applies to taxable accounts only)
- be able to calculate annual and/or YTD return (I don't mind doing this manually within the spreadsheet) for all accounts
- get automatic price quote updates
- track multiple accounts and multiple investments

Collapse -
TurboTax
by johnlh / January 28, 2010 1:51 AM PST

I still think TurboTax is the gold standard of tax applications. It is very easy to use and is actually fun to do if you keep your records in good order. Doing your taxes also makes you aware of where your $$$ is going. I think they have a free site on the web you can use to do your taxes unless you have a more complicated return such as Home/Business combined.

Collapse -
Software varies in different situation
by dawsonagh / January 17, 2011 5:00 PM PST
In reply to: TurboTax

TurboTax may be more general and involves in a complete area.
I also tried TradeMax, for an international traders, I think it work better and more specific, I do not spam here, just be more objective. Different software have their own unique features. So, I have both

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.