Mac OS forum

General discussion

MAC OS X upgrade from 10.4 to 10.5

by kafifi13 / August 28, 2009 1:26 PM PDT

Guys,

I'm hoping someone can assist. i'm usually in the Cisco Forums. I was just given a gift of a macbook from my sister for a gift. It was her old one she bought a year ago as she upgraded to macbook pro.

I currently have

75GB HDD

2GHz Intel core Duo

2GB 667 MHz RAM

I'm currently running tiger 10.4.11

She also gave me a copy of 10.5.6 of leopard. I go to run the installer and after i select the language of my choice i get a message saying that mac os x cannot be installed on this computer.

Can someone help me out and let me know what i could be doing wrong? I have more than enough hardware power to run this don't i?

Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MAC OS X upgrade from 10.4 to 10.5
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MAC OS X upgrade from 10.4 to 10.5
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
10.4 to 10.5
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 28, 2009 11:38 PM PDT

You sure do have enough hardware power to run that version of the OS so there is something else going on here.

Could be a couple of things.

1. Not enough room on the drive to carry out the installation
2. A defective hard drive.
3. This is not a kosher OS X installation disk. Check that this is not a Restore disk from another Mac.
4. This is a homemade copy of an Original OS X Installation disk. (these do not always work)
In the case of #1, check to see how much drive space you have available on that machine. Just open the HD and at the bottom of the window you should see the number of items in the window and the available space left on the drive. You need at least 5GB of space for a normal install, possibly a little more.

In the case of #2, boot from the 10.5 (Leopard) DVD and, after the second step, the menu bar should appear. Select utilities and Disk Utility. Select the internal HD and run Repair Disk.
If all is well, or the HD has been repaired, quit the installer, reboot from the DVD and try the install again.

In the case of #3, the disks that come with a Mac are sometimes tailored to the specific model of Mac and, as the Installer checks for model types when it configures itself, it will refuse to run on any machine that does not match it's coded model.

Hope this helps

P

Collapse -
Snow Leopard Install disk not opening on my Mac Book
by dianiro / October 18, 2010 10:52 AM PDT
In reply to: 10.4 to 10.5

I saw your reply to the individual who was having trouble upgrading from Tiger to Leopard. I also have a somewhat similar problem. I'm trying to install Snow Leopard onto my MacBook (5-year old/black/Intel Core Duo). I have a new, full-version OS 10.6 disk that I'm trying to install from my external DVD drive (LaCie) because my internal optical drive isn't working.

When I double-click on the Install icon, it flickers like it's going to open, but nothing happens. The other bundled apps on the disk open, but not the SL install icon. Could it be my 1 GB of RAM is not enough to boot the installer? I'm running 10.4.11 with no problem. Should I go back to the system software that came with the MacBook? Or perhaps I need to upgrade my RAM to 2 GB . .any suggestions are appreciated.

Collapse -
Put the disk in the LaCie,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 18, 2010 9:58 PM PDT

and, in System Preferences, set the startup disk to be the OS X installation disk.

Attempt to boot the machine. If it boots, go ahead with the installation.

Always a good idea to max out the RAM these machines.

P

Collapse -
Try to boot from the DVD
by CapitalUpgrades / April 17, 2013 6:52 AM PDT

You can try to boot from the DVD.
Insert it in the DVD player and restart your computer. As soon as you hear the bong sound press and hold the C key until the computer starts from the DVD inserted.

Collapse -
Had the same problem
by kevin7415 / August 29, 2009 2:43 AM PDT

If your disk is grey it can only be used for the type of mac it was baught together with. I believe the disk your sister gave you came with her new mac. You need a retail disk. They are black! This fixed my issue.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.