Mac Desktops forum

General discussion

Mac mini w/ lion wont read burned cdr

by eddqniel / November 12, 2011 5:57 AM PST

Mini goes thru the Burn then says computer cant read this disc. when I eject and re- insert it says its a blank disc. My macbook reads the same disc so I know the mini is burning ok.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mac mini w/ lion wont read burned cdr
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mac mini w/ lion wont read burned cdr
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd seen that before.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2011 5:59 AM PST

The fix was to replace the drive. The problem is your average owner will think that burning means the drive is OK.

Collapse -
I'd agree with Bob
by Jimmy Greystone / November 12, 2011 6:30 AM PST

I'd agree with Bob, and add to that the bit about how Minis are really not very service friendly. The older ones you had to use a putty knife to get the cover off, and if you weren't real careful, you'd lop off the IR sensor. Then you had to be really careful about the antennas, and replacing either the HDD or ODD was kind of a pain since you had to disconnect all the cables from the interface board. On the newer models you have to remove the MLB, HDD, PSU, and then a little mounting bracket thing. Getting the HDD lined up with the holes is bad enough, but then there's getting the antenna cowling back into position. And getting the MLB out without the little horseshoe tool would probably be difficult.

So, regardless of the warranty status on the unit, get someone else to do it.

Collapse -
by eddqniel / November 12, 2011 12:32 PM PST

It has only burned/played a couple dozen cd/dvds in the two years or so I have had it. Its hard to believe its a hdw prob. I read abt cleaning the reader w/ a cleaning disc. Any thoughts?

Collapse -
And so it begins
by Jimmy Greystone / November 12, 2011 12:37 PM PST
In reply to: Mini

And so it begins. You can try whatever you like, and we'll see you back here in a month or so when you're ready to listen.

Collapse -
by eddqniel / November 12, 2011 2:40 PM PST
In reply to: And so it begins

Don't talk down to me jimmy. I trust Apple quality and always try the shortest distance first. I had no trouble until I installed Lion. I thought my problem might be related. No one has yet offered a clear cause or fix for this anomaly. Or historic data. Just bad this bad that. I am a highly skilled artisan/mechanic. I fear no machine. I loathe wasting time and resources.

Collapse -
Not talking down
by Jimmy Greystone / November 12, 2011 9:54 PM PST
In reply to: jimmy

Not talking down, just commenting on how Bob's prediction came true. It is interesting you thought I was talking down to you. Says a lot more about you than me.

I know your type however. You don't give a gerbil's rear about historic data or anything else. You came here looking for someone to validate your opinion that the drive is still fine, and that there's some kind of quick fix you can apply to make it all better. Which you'd then run off to tell all your friends that you thought up yourself. When you didn't get the validation you were looking for, you start pouting like a petulant child, and just completely shut down by trying to couch everything in terms of "historical data" and how you trust Apple quality, assuming everyone's working against you. Never letting some facts get in the way of a good ego salving conspiracy theory, like why would a couple of random people on the Internet give their own gerbil's rear about making your life miserable?

Working on a car or something similar does not, in any way, prepare you for working on a computer. It's like saying being a chef prepares you for becoming a surgeon because they both involve using knives. The skill sets are completely different, and working on something mechanical tends to have considerably more room for mistake, just like a chef can always throw out some ingredient that has gone bad. The fact that you're even considering putting some kind of a lens cleaner in a slot loading ODD just proves my point, that you are in no way equipped for this sort of thing. That, and you clearly have no concept of how to eliminate software as a possible cause.

You came here looking for advice on the question. You got it. Two different people told you the exact same thing, but it wasn't the answer you wanted so you chose to completely disregard it. So one has to wonder just how much you "loathe wasting time and resources" because disregarding the advice of two different people who tell you the exact same thing, would seem to be exactly that. Which puts things pretty squarely back in your court. You are free to try whatever you think will solve the problem, since you clearly think you know better, but in a month or so when you've exhausted all those, and you're a little more open to the idea that the drive is bad, I'll make an effort to keep the "I told you so" to a minimum. So, run along then. The sooner you exhaust your supply of false hope the sooner your problem will be resolved.

Collapse -
it happens; check your Console
by ankh_too / November 24, 2011 3:25 AM PST

check your logs and the discussion forums at Apple; it does happen. I noticed this in Console for example -- OSX 10.7.2, latest iTunes -- whenever I happened to quit a VirtualBox VM, while I had iTunes was copying a music CD from an external Samsung USB drive -- the drive fail to read some (not all) CDs until I rebooted OSX.

11/23/11 8:48:06.000 PM kernel: 0
0 AppleUSBCDC: start - initDevice failed
11/23/11 8:48:07.000 PM kernel: disk2: I/O error.
(repeated many times)
11/23/11 8:48:07.988 PM diskarbitrationd: unable to probe /dev/disk2 (status code 0xFFFFFFFC).

Just one example; there are plenty of other oddities you'll find in the Mac forums.
Apple has a lot of USB debugging tools for developers (that will crash
your Mac if you use the wrong one, so don't go there if you're not a
developer type).

You'll hear from people who are very sure they know the answer, often saying this can't happen.

Keep looking.

Collapse -
Had the same problem
by mgrika / February 28, 2013 7:30 AM PST

I would swear it started when I upgraded to Lion (and not fixed when upgraded to Mountain Lion). I could burn CDs but not read them.

Then I spotted an implausible solution on another forum:
Wrap a lens-cleaning cloth around a business card and gently pass it into the slot, especially on the left side.

And it worked! I still can't believe it.

Collapse -
The lens cleaner cloth!
by danieljhumphrey / November 29, 2013 1:54 AM PST
In reply to: Had the same problem

I have searched for months for a solution. I could watch movies but not listen to a CD. I thought it was a software problem because it abruptly started when I upgraded to Snow Leopard, and I have even considered wiping the hard drive and starting over. So I wrapped a lens cleaning cloth around a card and slid it back and forth in the slot, and it worked!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.