Desktops forum

General discussion

Mac mini question

by Piotr Roshkov / January 12, 2005 12:11 PM PST

I was thinking of buying this computer. Now, on some comments about it it is mentioned that this computer is not good for gaming. Also, a G4 processor is not terribly fast. Would it be slow or just in comparison to a G5? I want to play some games like age of mythology and warcraft III with good performance, play lots of media (watch movie clips, listening to music etc), and have it on for long periods of time without overheating. Will this computer be okay for my needs? Or would it be better to opt for an Imac?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mac mini question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mac mini question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not a gaming machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2005 8:19 PM PST
In reply to: Mac mini question

The lowest price unit in the lineup?

Think about it.

Bob

Collapse -
RIght, but
by Piotr Roshkov / January 13, 2005 12:13 AM PST
In reply to: Not a gaming machine.

I'm not a huge gamer, just age of mythology and warcraft III, which aren't too demanding of memory. So long as I can play some media, have some good performance from the internet and stuff I'm happy, the only thing I hope is that they don't overheat as fast as a laptop.

Collapse -
Then...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2005 7:47 AM PST
In reply to: RIght, but

Go to an Apple store and test drive it.

My bet is DVD and such will play just fine (safe bet!) You may think those games are not too demanding... I think otherwise.

Collapse -
Could you elaborate on that?
by Piotr Roshkov / January 13, 2005 9:09 AM PST
In reply to: Then...

Thanks

Collapse -
The Apple Store.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2005 10:18 AM PST

Apple Computer has its own storefronts that you can go to and try out the machines.

Bob

Collapse -
Yes.
by socokid / January 24, 2005 2:15 AM PST

If you have the money, the iMac is a far better machine. So as far as that, it's completely up to you and your finances.

This machine is for a very small market. Apple knows this. It's for those that want/need a cheap, headless mac. Someone that already has monitors/keyboards laying around and want to "try" Mac OS X. It's also for those that have the missing equipment pieces (keyboard/monitor) and are looking to upgrade old macs on the cheap. For that this is a GREAT machine.

With that said, this machine will play Warcraft III and Civilization just fine. You won't be able to have all of the graphics settings at maximum, but yes, they will play just fine. The problem with your logic is that you seem to suggest that Warcraft III (and the like) will be the only games you will ever want to play. If that's the case, then fine. BUT, if you plan on playing new games that are increasingly more demanding, then the G4/32MB graphics card will be more and more lacking.

Heating? If you know of a computer that will overheat due to being on too long, then let me know. The manufacturers should be dealt with severelyi. I never turn my machines off. Never.

The G5 is faster than the G4. Just look at the bus speeds and MHz. It's proportional. And you can expect about a 1.7x actual speed of x86 chips MHz ratings. So again, it's up to you.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
iMac To Mac Mini
by seedcake / March 20, 2013 7:16 AM PDT

I bought an iMac in 2007 then it developed a screen fault. Then i had a further 2 Brand new iMacs,but they turned out the same. It`s a long story.On the 4th of March 2013 i got a full refund.
I too was going to buy the new Mac Mini,but i was bitten once so I researched the Mac Mini. I have found that it has a problem with HDVI connection,and Apple has supposed to have fixed this. In one review the editor gave the thumbs down do not buy it.
At the moment i am typing this from a Mac Mini 2007 hooked up to a Samsung Monitor,and it`s working ok,but has you will know it`s very slow,and the spinning wheel of death has appeared less than i expected.
I am still making enquires about the new Mac Mini,but they all, so far are not very good due to this issue.
I would strongly advise not to buy an iMac,because they have a fault as well.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.