Mac Desktops forum

Question

Mac Mini G4 start up issues, help please?

by ashtaylor007 / January 30, 2012 10:17 AM PST

My Mac Mini G4 stalled the other day and switched off, then would not restart, it just seemed to be dead, the fan would spin once then nothing, no lights etc...

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mac Mini G4 start up issues, help please?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mac Mini G4 start up issues, help please?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I would be tempted to try another power adapter, if possible
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 30, 2012 8:53 PM PST

and move on from there.

Collapse -
by ashtaylor007 / January 31, 2012 6:00 AM PST

Yes thanks for the reply, that was my instinct as well - but have tried a new adapter with the same results...

Collapse -
Answer
If I had to guess
by Jimmy Greystone / January 31, 2012 10:03 AM PST

If I had to guess, I'd say it's probably a bad/cold solder joint somewhere, and it would probably be a relatively easy and cheap fix... IF you happened to work for TSA or something and can run it through an x-ray scanner to find the bad solder joint.

I just KNOW someone's going to pop up like the spanish inquisition guy in all those monty python skits when I say this, but it's probably time to take this thing out back and shoot it in the head to put it out of its misery. Whatever it is, the symptoms seem to be getting worse as time progresses. Add to that that it's a G4 model, so will pretty much definitely be on the Vintage list. That means getting parts would become a game of scrounging ebay and craigslist, hoping that the person you buy it off of labeled it correctly, knows how to avoid ESD damage, packs it well, that the shipping carrier doesn't play a game of warehouse soccer with it or drive it through an artillery range (you laugh, but you should see the condition of a few packages I've gotten), and a myriad of other potential problems.

You can probably repurpose the HDD, and then just sell off the rest on ebay yourself, make a few bucks to cover the cost of the external enclosure for the HDD.

Collapse -
could be true
by ashtaylor007 / February 3, 2012 7:55 AM PST
In reply to: If I had to guess

Thanks for that...

Collapse -
If the worst comes to the worst,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 3, 2012 9:46 PM PST
In reply to: could be true

and the machine finally gives up the ghost, all your data is still available on the hard drive.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.