MacBooks forum

Question

mac laptop needs movie viewer vidoelan not working

by neilkw88 / May 7, 2013 3:29 AM PDT

I put some movies on a flashdrive and plugged it into a friends mac laptop that has video for mac o/s on it , but it finds the file and instead of opening them it just plays weird music, not sound trac stuff..
Can this be fixed or should I download another movie player ? if so ,which one ?
These were movies i ripped from a disc ,not bought from itunes
Neil

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: mac laptop needs movie viewer vidoelan not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: mac laptop needs movie viewer vidoelan not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
So a bad rip?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2013 3:31 AM PDT

Time to rip them again as nothing can play it.
Bob

Collapse -
No the rip is good it plays on both my windows pc's
by neilkw88 / May 7, 2013 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: So a bad rip?

I have had these movies on my pc for over a year, and since they are fight movies or whatever they could be called ,boxing ,ufc,etc. I often pur them on a flashdrive and watched with others on a different pc. This is the first time I tried to veiw them on a mac.. I'm not sure what i did wrong , but the same kinda thing hapened on windows before I downloased vidoelan for my pc's
Help !!!

Collapse -
"videolan"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2013 10:06 AM PDT

AKA "VLC Player"?

It's also on the Apple but I guessed you would have tried that. It's still a bad encoding job so why not rip again or re-encode?
Bob

Collapse -
mac with videolan still wont show movies on flashdrive
by neilkw88 / May 7, 2013 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: "videolan"

Well I downloaded videolan onto the mac.. which is 32 bit and i chose the 32 bit vlc from their website ..
I dont have the disc anymore , but this flash works in every windows with videolan I ever put it in and with the same movies ..

Collapse -
Then re-encoding is next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2013 1:19 PM PDT

Sounds like you know why you must keep the DVD.

Collapse -
(NT) What Mac is it you are working on?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 7, 2013 9:36 PM PDT
Collapse -
ac wont play video
by neilkw88 / May 8, 2013 12:57 AM PDT

it's an older laptop , maybe 5 years old or less.. Actually it is my ex's mac, I can find out the model if you need that .
Neil

Collapse -
PS. What is it? The encoding?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 8, 2013 1:23 AM PDT

We've danced around it but it sounds like a bum encoding or pilot error.

Can you reveal the encoding? (try MEDIA INFO)

And why the thumbs down? I encounter consumers that are getting upset over the encoder mess but here I'm offering to look at it and suggestions on what to try next.
Bob

Collapse -
mac not playing vidoes
by neilkw88 / May 8, 2013 2:23 AM PDT

I'm not sure what you mean by "reaveal the info " and " try media info" I not familliar with those terms .. I still have the videos here on this pc, should I check anything on here .. Could the flashdrive be the problem? I used it quite a few times here at home from one pc to the next ..
Also I really have no idea where the original rip came from as I was given these movies by a another guy on his flashdrive and I just copied them into my pc..
I'm wondering if Apple has something in the computers they sell that prevents certain videos from being played .. Like the old vhs had, they were copyrite protected somehow..
Oh yeah ,thanks for the help , I'm new here and this is my first post. This morning before getting your note I'm repying to ,I checked your profile and must apologize for the thumbs down. I see you are an expert at what you do ,while I am the opposite . I gave the thumbs down just because I wasnt getting any help and thought it was someone fooling around . I'll give you some thumbs up .. Yeah I guess I should have saved the disc ,I agree its a good point .Only thing I didnt tell you that there never was a disc so how could you have possible known ..Sorry , .. I jumped the gun !
One thing here ,at least people answer , I was at geek poilce and I noticed lots of people view the threads but almost none were answered .

Collapse -
In short, the video is "encoded"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 8, 2013 2:29 AM PDT
In reply to: mac not playing vidoes

Look up MEDIA INFO on google and on a PC I use that to inspect a video file to find out how it was encoded.

Thanks for the reply about the thumbs down. I have a thick skin and wonder why it happens when you reach up with a little help.

-> It could be the drive but it worked before so I didn't give it much thought. My bet is on the encoding.

VLC PLAYER is usually very good at decoding and playing but you wrote Videolan. While it may be the same title, it's worth checking the small details.

-> Armed with the encoding information I can see if VLC PLAYER supports that. Also we can research transcoders such as HANDBRAKE.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.