Mac OS forum

General discussion

mac keeps locking up...wont respond to keyboard or mouse

by rptort / November 16, 2009 12:29 PM PST

my mac keeps locking up for some reason...the screen doesn't freeze (the cursor still blinks and videos continue playing), but it wont respond to the keyboard or mouse

sometimes it happens when i hardly have any programs running

any ideas?

MacBook Pro
Mac OS X
Version 10.5.8
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB Memory

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: mac keeps locking up...wont respond to keyboard or mouse
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: mac keeps locking up...wont respond to keyboard or mouse
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: mac keeps locking up...wont respond to keyboard or mouse
by chockyII / November 17, 2009 5:41 AM PST

Does this happen using the built-in keyboard and mouse or do you use external devices? Are they using Bluetooth? I sometimes have my Bluetooth mouse stop responding for no reason.

When it happens try connecting a USB keyboard and mouse and see if they respond.

You could also try logging in from another machine via ssh and see which, if any, processes are misbehaving.

More details may help.

Collapse -
by rptort / November 17, 2009 6:37 AM PST

yea its the built-in keyboard and mouse

i dont have a USB keyboard or mouse...i should be able to get a mouse from a friend next week and ill try that if it happens again

as far as logging into it from another machine...how exactly do you do that? (if you could be specific that would help because im not familiar with doing that)

i dont have many more details...it just started pretty recently maybe a few weeks and i didnt do anything out of the ordinary...its very random too...sorry i dont have anything else

Collapse -
by chockyII / November 17, 2009 8:40 AM PST

Since it started recently can you think of any new software or updates you installed within the same timeframe?

As for logging in from another machine:

First you'll have to enable Remote Login in the Sharing Preference pane.

Once that's done you'll need the IP address of your machine and another machine on the same local network (for simplicity's sake). Any machine with a terminal will do.

From the other machine type "ssh yourusername@123.123.123.123" (don't type the quotes and use your username and IP address on your problem machine. Enter your password when prompted.

You should now be connected to your problem Mac. Try typing "ps -Axcro pid,command,%cpu" and examine the results for processes that are utilizing a large amount of processor time.

Good luck Wink

Collapse -
RE: mac keeps locking up...wont respond to keyboard or mous
by rptort / November 17, 2009 10:28 AM PST

no new software or anything...thats why i'm so confused because it happened out of nowhere

but i'll definitely try to login to it from another machine next time it happens (which could be tonight or next week..its very random)

i'll let you know how that goes

thanks

Collapse -
purchase a registry repair disk
by vessup2000 / November 20, 2009 11:06 AM PST

Might have to purcase a registry repair disk (almost everyone has this problem when they first start using their machines)Manufactures should supply these registry repair disk with all new machines!

Collapse -
What nonsense!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 20, 2009 9:55 PM PST

Have you had your Mac for long?

Just wondering if you have ever repaired the Registry in it?

If you did, then details of how you managed it would be appreciated.

P

Collapse -
Registry?
by rptort / November 21, 2009 6:08 AM PST
In reply to: What nonsense!

Yes I've had it for a little over a year, but this has never happened up until recently...I did download a new browser because a friend of mine told me that could be the problem (I used to use safari, now I'm using firefox)...since I've done that it hasn't happened, but there's no telling if it's fixed or not

What's a Registry? And how do you repair it?

Collapse -
Ignore any reference to the "Registry"
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 21, 2009 8:32 AM PST
In reply to: Registry?

You don't have one, so it ain't broke!

Happy

Collapse -
quick question
by rptort / November 17, 2009 10:43 AM PST

i tried logging into my macbook pro just to make sure everything went smoothly and i typed the command you posted

it displays:

"PID %CPU COMMAND"

and then of course the info

first of all what is PID?

also, when you say examine the results which are utilizing a large amount of processor time, what exactly am i looking at?

Collapse -
Virus
by vessup2000 / November 20, 2009 11:02 AM PST

Could be a virus problem.

Collapse -
(NT) Do you have a Mac?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 20, 2009 9:56 PM PST
In reply to: Virus
Collapse -
tried the command and nothing
by rptort / November 30, 2009 1:10 PM PST

hey my mac locked up today (its been a while since it happened)

I used my friends computer and logged in like you explained and typed in that command and the %cpu was all 0. There were random numbers under PID (some small and some large), but I don't know what that means.

any ideas now??

Collapse -
Try this:
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 17, 2009 8:37 AM PST

Create a new user account and give it admin rights.

Does the freezing and lock ups go away?

P

Collapse -
i'll give it a shot
by rptort / November 17, 2009 10:31 AM PST
In reply to: Try this:

i'll try it out and see what happens but it's kinda hard to tell since its so random but thanks

ill reply if anything happens

Collapse -
things to try
by CalicoTude / November 20, 2009 9:29 AM PST

Have you tried to repair permissions? That helps a lot of problems. Also, the Apple site has several knowledge base topics; one of them might be useful to you. If nothing you try helps, and you can get to an Apple Store, I would suggest booking an appointment with the Genius Bar.

Collapse -
repair permissions?
by rptort / November 21, 2009 6:09 AM PST
In reply to: things to try

what is repair permissions?

Collapse -
It's a function of Disk Utility
by Mr. Gregg / November 21, 2009 6:13 AM PST
In reply to: repair permissions?

You'll find that ^ in the Applications/Utilities folder. You can run it from there, or from your OS installation disk.

Collapse -
Try this:
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 20, 2009 10:03 PM PST

Even though the problem is intermittent, you may have a damaged piece of the system that only reveals itself under certain conditions:

So, replace the System.

Using your OS X installation disk, perform an Archive and Install (Preserve user settings). Your data will be saved, a new system folder will be installed and you will be off and running with a new, clean, system.
Update back to 10.5.8 and see if that has fixed the problem.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.