Computer Help forum

M14xR2 Windows 7 Home premium, What's the max RAM I can use?

by H0m3g33 / February 14, 2013 9:20 AM PST

I have an Alienware M14xR2 with Windows 7 Home premium as the OS.

I was attempting to do some research as to which ram upgrade I wanted and I came across a few post's saying that the M14x was unable to use more then 8gb of ram. However, I was under the impression that Windows 7 Home premium could be used with 16gb of ram.

Which is correct? Please explain so that I can understand where the different answers are coming from.

Also if my computer can accept 16gb of ram I need to know what the correct timing is (it appears that the options are 11-11-11 or 10-10-10)

Voltage options are 1.5v or 1.35v, I believe either option will work.

I know the correct type is 204 pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: M14xR2 Windows 7 Home premium, What's the max RAM I can use?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: M14xR2 Windows 7 Home premium, What's the max RAM I can use?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
All the models I checked were 2 slots of 4GB in a slot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2013 9:44 AM PST

Alienware M14x R2 AM14RX2-7222BK for example. You only supplied part of the model number so, for now, I'm writing it topped out at 8GB.

As to the voltage, the rule is simple. All sticks should match.

Collapse -
Dell has the 14xR2 as being able to be built with more
by H0m3g33 / February 14, 2013 10:41 AM PST

I checked Dells custom build website and noticed it's possible to buy a 14xR2 with 12gb or 16gb of ram

I am unsure how to get the full model number, so below is the specs I made at dells website.

These are the specs(built at I used the third one as the base), every thing matches my computer except the memory.

PROCESSOR 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)
OPERATING SYSTEM Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit
MEMORY 16GB (2 X 8GB) Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz
HARD DRIVE 750GB 7,200 RPM SATA + 32GB mSATA Caching SSD
WIRELESS CARDS Killer Wireless-N 1202 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO for Gaming & Video and Bluetooth 4.0

Collapse -
by VAPCMD / February 14, 2013 11:09 AM PST
Collapse -
Dell said no. Crucial said yes.
by H0m3g33 / February 14, 2013 1:25 PM PST
In reply to: Update...

I called Dell and talked to a sales person. They took their time and told me no it could only do up to 8gb because it's a 14 inch. I say BS and talked to Crucial, they recommended a dual 8gb set and said it would work.

I'm going to get some off Newegg I'll post when I get around to buying it and what works/doesn't work. It may be a buy for my birthday, so it may be a little while but updates will come.

Collapse -
14 inch ? Agree. That it's a 14" shouldn't make any
by VAPCMD / February 15, 2013 9:49 AM PST

But interesting Crucial said 'Yes" as their product info (website) indicated 8GB total max to the M14x-R2 the day I responded.

We'll look forward to hearing 'the rest f the story'.

Collapse -
Here's the link to the Crucial page
by H0m3g33 / February 16, 2013 2:55 PM PST
Collapse -
Good link but when I checked it on 14 Feb 2013, I couldn't
by VAPCMD / February 16, 2013 11:43 PM PST

use the scan, just the product link....Mfg name (Alienware) then, product line (Notebook/Laptop) then model number and max (total) RAM was 8GB.....ergo the reason for my first response was "NO". When I checked the Dell product WEB page it show accepting SODIMMS at 2GBs, 4GBs and 8GBs times 2 is 4GBs, 8GBs and 16GBs.

If you live in a metropolitan area where there's a Fry's, Microcenter, Best Buy, etc., might be easier to try buying and installing the 16GBs RAM locally....then you'd know right away whether it accept and register all 16GBs. Could save you some time and anguish.

Collapse -
There's a Microcenter not far away, I'll get over there
by H0m3g33 / February 17, 2013 12:07 AM PST

There is a Microcenter not to far off campus, I'll try to get over there in the next week.

Collapse -
I need the full model number to be sure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2013 12:20 AM PST

Without it we're all guessing. The model you supplied is a series with over a dozen models so what I checked may not have been your model.

I find more and more folk that can't find out what car they drive today. Used to be folk knew they had a 1955 Chevy, four on the floor, or three on the tree. Today?

Collapse -
How do I check for the full model number?
by H0m3g33 / February 16, 2013 2:57 PM PST

Where do I find the full number? I've never had to check the full number.

Collapse -
In the case of Dell
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2013 11:40 PM PST

You use their service tag at to get all the details. This discussion is hampered by that being a series and the first few I checked looked like 8GB was it.

Since the system scanner (crucial) says 16GB then why not pull the trigger?

Collapse -
Looks like Alienware specs are saying "YES" to 16GBs
by VAPCMD / February 16, 2013 11:53 PM PST
In reply to: In the case of Dell
Collapse -
I just checked as well
by H0m3g33 / February 17, 2013 12:11 AM PST

I just got the dell specs page to work (My PDF was acting up)

It seems like I'm reading this the same as you I see the max amount to be 16 gb between the 2 slots.

I'm gunna try to get over to Microcenter this week, I'll see what happens.

Collapse -
System specs top out at're welcome to try more
by VAPCMD / February 14, 2013 10:58 AM PST

My money's on the specs.

Let us know.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.