Phones forum

Low signal area

by livesinadeadarea / September 16, 2011 1:45 AM PDT

Help. We live in an area that doesn't have good cell signal coverage. For the longest time the only provider we could go with was Nextel. When they teamed up with
Sprint, still could only get a Nextel signal, and had to stand on the deck most of the time.
We now get Verizon coverage, but still have trouble dropping calls with one of the phones we got, now have a BlackBerry, but that is not much better. I need to know what phone has the strongest signal receiver. Dealer has not been much help.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Low signal area
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Low signal area
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
My sad observation
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2011 2:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Low signal area
Collapse -
That one requires a broadband connection
by Pepe7 / September 16, 2011 10:19 AM PDT
In reply to: My sad observation

While it's good for some folks, a better solution would be a carrier agnostic repeater that does the same thing but lets you move it around and use it w/o broadband. Place it where you need it ,basically. Something like the wi-ex could suffice in the same general price range. If the OP had a higher budget, a better solution yet would be one of the products made by Wilson Electronics. Great repeaters for between $300-700 that work on most of the carriers.
Externally mounted antennas are a must for long term use that maximizes the outdoor coverage that exists at any one location. I threw up one on a chimney in the 'burbs and that solved a friend's woes w/ ATT data on his iPhone. Go figure.

Wilson Repeaters

To the OP> You can actually call these folks and describe your situation to get an idea of which product would work best for your location.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2011 4:20 AM PDT

I offered that up as an idea starter. Which worked!

Collapse -
Verizon example...
by Doh_1 / September 16, 2011 11:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Low signal area

I have Verizon "service", but very little signal at my house. Not enough phone signal to make/get reliable calls, or reliably use 3G. So I had to get a "Verizon Network Extender with 3G", and now I have enough phone and 3G strength for my iPhone to actually be usable.

Collapse -
AT&T example
by Lumpy95 / September 16, 2011 12:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Verizon example...

For the last year the service in our rural area sucks from AT&T. I bought a new Samsung Infuse 4G phone and the only way to get on the internet is through my router.
I started calling AT&T support over and over about the dropped calls and 1 bar reception until they finally decided to send me a Micro-Cell free of charge except for shipping.
It took 24 hrs. to get it set up through AT&T. The Micro-Cell has to have an internet connection so I ran the cat 5 to it from my router. We have wireless internet out here (a radio on the roof picks up the signal through a backhaul AP). The Micro-Cell started losing and searching for a signal constantly so it was no better than before.
After the 15th call to AT&T techs, I finally found a young tech guy that knew why the Micro-Cell won't work here.
He explained to me that it was because I am on the wireless internet and the jitter and ping times constantly fluctuate. The Micro-Cell is supposed to have a constant flow such as broadband or even DSL.
Evidently all those other techs didn't know that.
When the Micro-Cell gets a signal I have 5 bars but when it loses the signal there is another dropped call. At least I didn't get soaked $200.00 for the Micro-Cell but I am really getting fed up with AT&T.
Oh well, it looks like all the carriers have thier problems. Sad

Collapse -
by Pepe7 / September 18, 2011 12:14 PM PDT
In reply to: AT&T example

Unfortunately WISPs aren't normally compatible with femtocells.
You still would benefit from setting up a repeater, especially one of the Wilson products I posted above. At least you will be able to make calls. The wifi you have should be decent enough so you won't have to worry about not being able use either the 3g or 4g network.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.