Audio & Video Software forum

Resolved Question

Low Page Speed Score

by rltegantvoort / January 3, 2013 6:17 AM PST

Hi,

So I am in the process of building a website for the first time and I feel like a have a pretty good handle on Dreamweaver for only working with it about a month or two. I just don't know any of the shortcuts or how to optimize. But I ran FireBug on my webpage and the score I am receiving is anywhere from 50/100 to 65/100.

I receive two Red Bullets = Leverage Browser Caching and Enable Compression.

Two Yellow Triangles (sometimes 3) = Combine Images into CSS Sprites and Optimize Images. (Inline Small JavaScript)(doesn't show on home page)

This seems way to low for this simple website. The size of the pages are from 10KB to 22KB which 22KB is one of my picture archive. This site is supposed to be mostly pictures with little text.

I have been shrinking my original pictures which are used as hyperlinks to thumbnails to view full size. But the images were 4000 x 3000 so I am shrinking to 1200 x 900 which still is giving me a 300KB image. Is this too big still?

I guess what I am asking is what can I do to make my site more efficient and run better? Shrink Images more, Compress Images (GZip), Clean Up Code/CSS, etc? Also I am wondering what exactly FireBug is telling me to do to fix the website?

Obviously the website is not finished since you won't be able to read hardly any of the text! But I feel this could be a major issue and don't want to move much further ahead until its cleared up.

http://www.msifab.com

Don't be too harsh ha!

Thank you in advance,
Ryan

rltegantvoort has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Low Page Speed Score
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Low Page Speed Score
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by rltegantvoort

Collapse -
Page loaded in a few seconds here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2013 6:20 AM PST
In reply to: Low Page Speed Score

Sorry, what's the concern again?

Collapse -
I know
by rltegantvoort / January 4, 2013 12:35 AM PST

Yes, I know the page loads right away. I was just concerned about the score it just seemed low but according to Sovereign 65 is not a bad score. I just wanted to make the site run smoothly and the main concern I was having was on the archive pages there are lots of pictures and when I select one to enlarge it takes awhile for the picture to load. But I am in the process of shrinking the images from 2-3MB to 300-500KB. The Resolution is 300 should I be using 72? Is 500KB still too large? Also I was just concerned about the flags Firebug was giving me and hoping I could make the site even better. Should I compress the images?

Thanks for you response.

Collapse -
I would not.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2013 12:58 AM PST
In reply to: I know

If the page loads fast, unless you are trying to support DIAL UP, no change.

At the office they lost (fired) a web person over their lack of production. They were overly concerned about things like this.
Bob

Collapse -
Exactly What I Wanted To Hear
by rltegantvoort / January 4, 2013 3:17 AM PST
In reply to: I would not.

This is my first website so I don't exactly know what is acceptable but I would say its fine then. Awesome thanks for helping me out

Collapse -
Good to read that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2013 3:25 AM PST

I predict you will survive a long time. I hope I didn't offend you at any time but once in a while folk get fixated on such things and it can hurt.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you
by rltegantvoort / January 4, 2013 5:17 AM PST
In reply to: Good to read that.

Nope that is exactly what I needed to hear and now i can move on and finish the site.

I do have one question for you still: What did you think of the site? Was it easy to navigate?

I think I have an eye for stuff like this but its always nice to have another opinion since it is my first site.

Collapse -
Answer
I'm guessing you
by Sovereign Forum moderator / January 3, 2013 2:39 PM PST
In reply to: Low Page Speed Score

used PageSpeed in Firebug that told you all this? https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights

All the things you mentioned, yes, they can have an impact and can make the site more responsive. I would in particular take a closer look at compression and optimizing the images. The link above provides details on how to do that.

65 is not that bad of a score. I'd say that anything between 65-80 is about average.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
Thank you
by rltegantvoort / January 4, 2013 12:56 AM PST
In reply to: I'm guessing you

I have viewed that webpage already and found it more confusing than anything. I didn't think 50-65 would be a good score but if its not bad than I am okay with that. I know the page loads quickly I was just concerned about the flags PageSpeed gave me and wondering if I could make it better is all.

Are there any webpages that have 100 scores? Just wondering I guess

Collapse -
I'm sure there
by Sovereign Forum moderator / January 7, 2013 10:31 PM PST
In reply to: Thank you

are websites get pretty close, but they might have little to no content. In other words, if you have a site that doesn't do anything, then chances are it will load faster, but if you are using your website and you supply it with lots of content, there's always something that can be done to make it faster, it just comes down to what is practical.

~Sovereign

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.