Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

Question

Low cost hosting that offers support for multiple domains?

by HelpessOnTheInternet / July 26, 2012 4:07 AM PDT

Hello everybody.

My situation:
I have recently closed my account with WebHost4Life, which was working fine for me until they wanted to charge me an additional 50$ for renewal of my account. The control panel was great for me and allowed me to host all of my domains very easily with their server. They also didn't force you to have a root domain to use the server, so I could utilize folders for each of my websites which was a quick and easy way to update each site.

2 weeks ago I purchased a 2 year plan with InMotionHosting, and I have just realized that the "Launch" plan that I purchased only allows 2 "Add-On Domains" to be hosted through their server. Aka you can only HOST 2 domains, the rest of your domains have to be "Sub-Domains". It is a pain because they require a root domain to use the server, and all of the additional domains have to go through the root. This is a problem for me, because navigating through the FTP is a nightmare with so much clutter!

All of my websites are hosting some sort of multimedia image/sound and feature creative commons free downloads, so none of them are commerce.

My question:
Is there a service similar to WebHost4Life (but not as crappy) that allows you to host multiple websites, offers unlimited webspace, and does not require a root domain? If there is someone please speak up so I can get on with the show here! Appreciate any replies

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Low cost hosting that offers support for multiple domains?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Low cost hosting that offers support for multiple domains?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Normally
by Sovereign Forum moderator / July 26, 2012 8:25 AM PDT

you do have to setup a master domain, which is the domain from which you can login to your control panel. This domain doesn't have to be used for anything, it's just the domain to access your account i.e. cPanel or mail, etc.

Then from there, you can setup add-on domains, which are just sub directories behind the scenes, but to the outside world, each domain is its own website.

If you login via the master domain, you can browse to any of the add-on website's files via FTP or the built-in file manager. So even with a master domain, you can still "utilize folders for each of [your] websites which [is] a quick and easy way to update each site". Now, if you login via FTP using the FTP account for one of the add-on domains, then you'll only see that domain's files.

That said, any host that offers unlimited add-on domains should be able to do what you want it to do. You just got unlucky that InMotion Hosting is limited to two under the plan you chose, but other than that, you should be able to use one set of credentials to manage any add-on domain.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
Unlimited add-ons?
by HelpessOnTheInternet / July 26, 2012 4:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Normally

Thanks for your reply Sovereign.

Are you aware of any hosts that offer unlimited "add-on" domains? This is really my biggest concern with In Motion. They want to charge more for additional "add-on" domains, which seems a bit redundant to me... Fortunately I can cancel the acc for a full refund within 90 days.

Collapse -
I've previously used
by Sovereign Forum moderator / July 28, 2012 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Unlimited add-ons?

AN Hosting aka. MidPhase. They were pretty reasonable in both price, support and reliability, but I've upgraded to dedicated servers with other companies since then, so I can't vouch for them now.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
Great
by HelpessOnTheInternet / July 30, 2012 11:49 AM PDT
In reply to: I've previously used

MidPhase looks great - thanks for the recommendation.

Collapse -
Low cost hosting that offers support for multiple domains?
by Jason_Martin / August 7, 2012 3:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Great

You really should not concentrate only on low cost sites. Rather than you should also focus on the quality and standards of hosting company, In my eyes Godady is the best one to choose.

Collapse -
Answer
Good hosting

I use a Houston based company, Host Gator for my hosting. You can get an account to host unlimited domains for under $20 a month, and they have 24 hour customer service.
They also use solar and wind power to power their servers, so it's environmentally friendly if that's what you're looking for.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.