Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

low constant hum on computer

by michhala / March 18, 2007 9:42 AM PDT

My searches here seem to indicate this low constant hum is not the hard drive but a fan. It is a noise I usually hear when I power up but disappears as the computer "warms up". Today, however, the hum did not go away. Although the back grille is slightly warm, I think that is the usual. When I put my hands on the sides of the box I feel a vibration, which I don't think was there before......vibration is stronger on one side than the other.

Other than using the compressed cold air to clean out the dust, I do not know my way around inside the box.

Does this sound like a fan or hard drive?

My thanks.

Miki

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: low constant hum on computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: low constant hum on computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why not just take the cover off
by Ray Harinec / March 18, 2007 10:38 PM PDT

[with power fully off] and then be sure to touch any part of the internal metal immediately and frequently to be sure to get rid of any ESD. Then turn the system on. It will then be a simple matter to locate the offending source. There are no voltages inside that can zap you.

You can touch the hub of the fan to see if that causes the vibration to cease or change. You can touch the hard drive sides with no potential to damage it.

Collapse -
Thank you, Ray
by michhala / March 19, 2007 1:45 PM PDT

I have a reprieve :)....last night I noticed that the humming stopped when the monitor powered down after 20 minutes without use. When it powered up, it took a while for the hum to return, but then it disappeared again at the next monitor power down. This time the monitor powered up the hum disappeared and did not return. Today at boot there was no hum except for the usual few seconds it took for the system to warm up......and so far, so good.

I am very fearful of working with electrical units while they are still plugged in. I had a bad experience with a "hot" electric cable falling on my car during an electrical storm. I thought the car was grounded, but I was warned not to move or touch anything until the firemen arrived to "rescue" me (that part was not so bad Silly ).

Miki

Collapse -
PC is a HUMMER...??
by castingRod47 / March 19, 2007 7:06 AM PDT

It is safe to peer inside the TOWER..
First SHUT-down the PC useing the Front Panel Power Switch or the Power Supply ON/OFF Switch..
Once the PC has stopped all Circuits need to be RUN to GROUND by PRESSING the Power Switch in and HOLDING it there..
..in order too do this..
......................you must first Switch OFF the Surge Protector...
SOOOoooo/at this point you can NOW...PUSH the FRONT PANEL POWER SWITCH
fully to its LIMIT and HOLD for 10-seconds..the little LED should light and then DIM to nothing..
You should PUSH the Power Switch this way Twice to be sure that the Motherboard has grounded all current..
NEXT....pull the AC....cable PLUG from the rear of the PC..
OK...at this point...you will be safe looking inside the PC..
you may want to get a handy DESK-lamp or a big Flashlight to look around inside the TOWER..
Of course you will be hearing no sounds in this part of the inspection..BUT..need to look for a loose part or wire that may be RUBBING some other POINT inside the TOWER..
If you see nothing....you can take a wooden Pencil and useing the rubber ERASER part just poke at the FAN Houseing attached to the back panel of the PC..look for some movement as you apply some pressure..
If you have a Proccessor Fan Cooling problem I would leave that to a professional..
Because of the parts needing removal..
check to see that NO SCREWS have fallen from some part..like the HDD Holder/the HDD sits inside of a metal holder that bolts directly to the FRONT part of the TOWER..touch that w/the Pencil to find some movement..
if there is actual heat near the Power Supply when the PC is running..I would be very careful..
I can run my PC all day..like 20-hours..and there is some type of warmth..BUT HEAT...no way...
Next is the Power Supply Fan,
IS IT Running..??
If NOT...shut the PC off..and replace the Power Supply or the complete PC..
I would be very careful about HEAT..my Monitor(CRT)gets somewhat "heated" after all day use..but I recognize it as normal.

Collapse -
I leave the power supply
by Ray Harinec / March 19, 2007 7:48 AM PDT
In reply to: PC is a HUMMER...??

plugged in with the PS switch off. That leaves the third wire in the cable still wired to the ground in the main power box of the house.

Collapse -
castingRod 47-thanks for the info.....
by michhala / March 19, 2007 2:09 PM PDT
In reply to: PC is a HUMMER...??

As I explained in previous post reply to Ray, I have a "stay of execution" and all is well for now.

I appreciate the valuable information you gave me and have saved it all "just-in-case". I need all the help I can get.....I am no "Ben Franklin". Happy

Miki

Collapse -
castingRod47.....one more thing
by michhala / March 19, 2007 2:18 PM PDT

Forgot to mention that the outside of my computer is very cool to the touch and the top of the back grille varies from cool to barely warm after a lot of use. The rest of the grille stays cool.

My thanks again.....Miki

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.