Computer Help forum

General discussion

loud beeping sound at start up

by Nailheadforty / December 15, 2007 10:08 AM PST

I have a Dell Laptop Inspiron which emits this loud beeping upon startup, was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. If so how do I correct this problem. Any and all input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Nailheadforty

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: loud beeping sound at start up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: loud beeping sound at start up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Does it boot up and run ??
by VAPCMD / December 15, 2007 10:17 AM PST

Is it one beep or two beeps ...didn't give us much info.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Loud beeping at start up
by Nailheadforty / December 16, 2007 9:10 AM PST

Yes, it does boot up as normal and runs just fine.
I have tried to count the number of beeps but they come so fast its almost if not inpossible to count them or tell what code they are trying to relay to me.
See reply number two.
Thanks
Nailheadforty

Collapse -
Almost sounds more like a stuck keyboard than a BIOS
by VAPCMD / December 16, 2007 9:31 AM PST

error message. Let us know if you can narrow it down more.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
my laptop problem
by Angra121 / February 13, 2013 11:54 AM PST

My Samsung laptop is beeping on booting and not booting up

Collapse -
loud beeping sound at start up
by Cursorcowboy / December 15, 2007 9:03 PM PST

The BIOS performs a power-on self-test (POST) (a built-in diagnostic program that checks system hardware to ensure that everything is present and functioning properly, before the BIOS begins the actual boot), a test which is used to ensure a system is functioning properly. When a problem is identified, the BIOS will normally produce an error message. In some cases, since a problem may be detected so early that the BIOS cannot even access the video card to print the message, a series of beeping pattern will be produced on the speaker to tell a user what the problem is. The exact meaning of the beep codes depends on the type and version of BIOS. A site to check for BIOS Beep Codes is "BIOS Central" -- please note that titled box right-hand side identifiying the system BIOS used on the system which you must know.

Note: A single beep during the boot process, usually right before the BIOS startup screen is displayed, is normal and does not indicate a failure as long as the boot process continues.

Collapse -
Loud beeping at startup
by Nailheadforty / December 16, 2007 9:45 AM PST

Thanks for the info. I went to BIOS Central to review the site. I feel I'm getting to the end of my computer knowledge. I don't know how or where to find the the BIOS that is used on the Windows XP system that is used on this Laptop.
Thanks for your input.
Nailheadforty

Collapse -
Go to the Dell WWX and enter your product TAG #...it
by VAPCMD / December 16, 2007 10:09 AM PST

should tell you what BIOS you have (or where to find it) and what updates are avialable.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Please Help!!!
by Tamisue28 / February 3, 2012 4:54 AM PST

You know... I am having this same problem and have tried everything that I can think of and it still wont stop... I think its a virus, or something with the mother board... I dont want to take it to a computer guy, cause they are ridiculous in pricing. None of the information given here was helpful at all! If anyone else can come along and give more useful information, much would be appreciated!

It is a continuous loud beeping at start up. Once it gets to the screen that has the windows logo right before it gets to my user screen it stops beeping. But then also, about 5-10 minutes after start up, no matter what I am doing, my computer freezes up and stalls and wont do anything. Then it starts working again very slowly. Then if I keep my computer on and try to get some work done on my computer, my computer will randomly try to send things to the recycle bin. I have ran multiple virus scans, trojan removers, dusted out my computer and have removed any random programs. A couple months ago when this first started happening I uninstalled windows and then reinstalled it to see if that would help. And still the same thing kept happening. I cant sit on the phone with the dell customer service casue I cant understand them and it takes FOREVER to get nothing accomplished and I have 2 jobs and dont have 2 hours to sit on the phone with them and get nothing accomplished. Please, some one help me resolve my headache of an issue with my laptop! I have windows 7 operating system and it is also an inspiron, I bought it at the beginning of 2010.

Thank you so much for any help!

Collapse -
Reposted as a thread starter in ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 3, 2012 5:26 AM PST
In reply to: Please Help!!!
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.