Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Lots of things not working properly

by rhertich / March 10, 2013 12:00 PM PDT

To start with I have a dell studio 1550 running windows 7 ultimate. I have bitdefender 2013 installed on my comp.

Last week I was doing some surfing when a pop up came up and then things kinda went haywire and my computer restarted. Now my internet connection only works on internet explorer. I've tried firefox, chrome, and safari.

I've done full scans with bitdefender, avast free, and tried to do malwarebytes. Malwarebytes won't update as well as eset free scanner.

Winsock is also not working properly and when I try to download winsockfix it says I'm not connected to the internet and won't download. I've done the winsock reset and reboot in the cmd prompt to no avail.

I can post logs and anything else that will help.

Any help that anyone is willing to give will be greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lots of things not working properly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lots of things not working properly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please Try This For Malware
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 10, 2013 12:34 PM PDT

If you can download the tools listed below on the problem computer, great, but you may need to use a separate, clean computer, download the tools, copy them to a DIFFERENT flash drive or CD, then transfer them to the infected computer.

Once that's done, then restart the computer into "Safe Mode with Networking" and use the instructions below. If you can't start in Safe Mode, then run all the tools while in "normal" Windows first, then run them in Safe Mode afterward.:

After downloading or transferring it to the problem machine, run the
following tool to help allow the removal programs below to run.
(courtesy of Grinler at BleepingComputer.com)There are 3 different
versions. If one of them won't run then try to run the other one. Be
patient.... as a black window should open, then close after finding all
the background programs.Vista and Win7 users need to right click and choose Run as AdminYou only need to get one of them to run, not all of them.

IMMEDIATELY after running the "Rkill" tool above, run/install the Malwarebytes and
SuperAntispyware installer and update files from the links below which
you've also copied to a CD or flash drive, and transfered to the problem
machine. Do NOT restart the computer after running Rkill. After that, run a full system scan
and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)

Next, install and run a full system scan with the SuperAntispyware program
and the manual updater from the links below. As before, you may need to
rename the installer file to get the program to install.:

Manual Update

And after that, if everything's fine by you can't connect to the internet,
then follow the procedures below to check your network "proxy" settings
again.Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools-Internet
Options-Connection Tab. Click on the LAN settings button. IF there is a
check mark next to "Use a proxy server for your LAN", uncheck it. Click
OK. Then OK, again.

And finally, download and run the tool below to bring back any files that may have been hidden by the malware on the computer.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by rhertich / March 10, 2013 1:18 PM PDT

I ran rkill and it didn't find any issues.

Rkill 2.4.7 by Lawrence Abrams (Grinler)
Copyright 2008-2013 BleepingComputer.com
More Information about Rkill can be found at this link:

Program started at: 03/10/2013 09:51:17 PM in x64 mode.
Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate

Checking for Windows services to stop:

* No malware services found to stop.

Checking for processes to terminate:

* No malware processes found to kill.

Checking Registry for malware related settings:

* No issues found in the Registry.

Resetting .EXE, .COM, & .BAT associations in the Windows Registry.

Performing miscellaneous checks:

* Windows Defender Disabled

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
"DisableAntiSpyware" = dword:00000001

* Windows Firewall Disabled

"EnableFirewall" = dword:00000000

Checking Windows Service Integrity:

* Windows Defender (WinDefend) is not Running.
Startup Type set to: Manual

Searching for Missing Digital Signatures:

* No issues found.

Checking HOSTS File:

* HOSTS file entries found: localhost

Program finished at: 03/10/2013 09:51:36 PM
Execution time: 0 hours(s), 0 minute(s), and 19 seconds(s)

I downloaded MBAM and tried to update but it still can't update. I keep getting the same error
"Program_Error_updating(0,0,net exception)

I was able to download Superantispyware and update it normally. Its currently running and so far has only recognized tracking cookies as potential threats. I will post more info as I get it.

Thanks for the help Grif

Collapse -
Not Grif.. but..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / March 10, 2013 10:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Grif

Hi rhertich..

I noticed your DDS log posted (3/10) at one of the malware removal forums. It's not my intent to discourage you from posting there. Or here, for that matter. However, did you read #8 in their "Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help"?

After asking members only post at one site, they add:

'If we find that you have posted for help at another site regarding the same problem, we will be forced to close your topic here. This is because two different sites can give conflicting advice, which makes it harder for our helpers to provide quality help.'

That said, I would suggest continuing with only one forum. If in time you're unable to resolve the issue .. move on to the next.

Consider me.....

"Only the Messenger"

Collapse -
by rhertich / March 10, 2013 11:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Not Grif.. but..

I originally posted on the other first but after not receiving any opinions over there I opted to post over here to see if anyone could help me here as a friend of mine referred me here.

Again thanks for any help offered

Collapse -
by Carol~ Forum moderator / March 11, 2013 12:11 AM PDT
In reply to: #8

While you chose a good forum, it's also one of the busiest ones. As Grinler himself says (also #8) ...

'I know it is very stressful to have a computer with a potential malware infection, but unfortunately it will take some time to get to your topic.'.

No doubt, Grif will get back to you one way or another.

Collapse -
Although Rkill Came Up With Nothing...Did You?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 11, 2013 5:00 AM PDT

...also run scans with both of the other tools mentioned.. ? I see that you tried to "update" MBAM, but try running it anyway.. Let us know what SuperAntispyware comes up with.

As to your internet connection, please try the steps I suggested at the bottom of the post above. I'll post them again below. It frequently fixes such connection issues, IF they're malware related..

Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools-Internet
Options-Connection Tab. Click on the LAN settings button. IF there is a
check mark next to "Use a proxy server for your LAN", uncheck it. Click
OK. Then OK, again.

I also use another tool which seems to find a few things the other two don't. Download the freeware version.. The link is below:

Hitman Pro

A question also.. You mentioned a popup occurring just before the problems started.. What EXACTLY was the popup about?

Hope this helps and let us know what you find..

Collapse -
As To Fixing Winsocks, Did You Try This?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 11, 2013 5:25 AM PDT

You mentioned the command line reset, but did you run BOTH of the commands below? If not, please run them as I've given below:

1. Click on Start, then type: "cmd.exe" in the search line. Now go to the top of the search window, RIGHT click on "cmd.exe" listed there and choose "Run as administrator". When the command window opens, type the bold text below, one line at a time, then press "Enter" after each command line.:

netsh winsock reset catalog (resets winsock entries)
netsh int ip reset reset.log hit (resets TCP/IP stack)

2. Reboot your PC

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by rhertich / March 11, 2013 8:19 AM PDT

I have already checked the proxy and it is where it should be. Both scans came back clean except for some tracking cookies. Mbam still doesn't update. I have already done both command lines for reseting winsock and I did them again after the scans. I didn't get a chance to try out hitman but one of my regulat customers from my work runs a comp repair shop and he did a free diagnostic for me. Ended up being some hidden malware in a program title bradford dissolvable agent.exe that I had downloaded for something school related last year. It was not allowing my main drive to be correctly written to and read. Apparently the only fix is a data backup and clean os install.

Appreciate the help guys.
People helping people

Collapse -
(NT) Good Job & Thanks For Posting Back
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 11, 2013 9:36 AM PDT
In reply to: update
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.