Networking & Wireless forum

Resolved Question

Lost WiFi while reinstalling wireless printer

by oiptoner / September 2, 2011 2:13 AM PDT

Running XP, SP3 on main computer which is hard wired to a Linksys WRT54G router. This system still works.

Have an HP laptop (Vista) and Compaq laptop (XP) which are on a wifi network using the same router. The Vista computer was also connected wirelessly to an HP 6980 inkjet printer. A samsung 7" tablet also uses the same router wirelessly.

Lost the wifi connection between the laptop and the printer and when I tried to reinstall I was asked for network pass code which was rejected. Tried to reinstall printer by "secure easy setup" between printer and router, which may have worked because the correct lights are on, but now I have lost the internet connection for both laptops and tablet, and the Vista laptop still cannot activate the printer. Tried to get help from Linksys and HP, but told out of warranty.

Simple solution may be to recover new password, but don't know how to go about doing that since I do not have Linksys IP addresses nor do I remember the various screens I have to go through. Can someone help?

oiptoner has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lost WiFi while reinstalling wireless printer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lost WiFi while reinstalling wireless printer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by oiptoner

Collapse -
If it's only a password problem . . .
by Coryphaeus / September 2, 2011 11:28 PM PDT

you're just gonna have to dig. IP address for routers is either or I don't remember which one is for Linksys. From this point you just look. Or, you can do a Google search for the owner's manual for the router.

Collapse -
Partial help
by oiptoner / September 3, 2011 4:46 AM PDT

I was able to get into the Linksys screen and under Administration I changed the Password to my old Password, but when I try to connect to the network wirelessly it sees the network, but if I enter the new Password into the "Security key or Passphrase" box it gets rejected. Am I confusing Security key with Password or am I missing something?

Collapse -
Password and key are two different things . . .
by Coryphaeus / September 3, 2011 5:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Partial help

The password is used to access the router under admininistration. The key is used for the wireless devices to access the wireless network. You need to set your wireless key in the router. Then set that same key in each wireless device.

Collapse -
by oiptoner / September 6, 2011 1:06 AM PDT

Found the right screen. All is good.

Collapse -
Re: router IP-address
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 2, 2011 11:35 PM PDT

That's the gateway address reported by ipconfig (run from the command prompt).

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.