Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Lost the ability to stretch or tile wallpaper in XP

by dsosnowski23 / February 28, 2009 2:35 AM PST

Did Windows recently send out any updates that would have removed the option to stretch or tile wallpaper on the desktop? As recently as last week I applied new Wallpaper to my desktop then as usual right clicked on the desktop and selected stretch to fill the screen. Today I again changed the Wallpaper but when I right click on my Desktop and select properties there is no longer any option button to select tile or stretch. While searching for information about this I saw a post by someone else who described the exact same problem. The only thing that I can imagine is that I installed new software last night for a Canon SD880IS Digital Camera I just got. Could that have affected my ability to stretch the Wallpaper on my desktop? I would be interested to know if this has happened to anyone else recently.

Thanks in advance
Dennis

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lost the ability to stretch or tile wallpaper in XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lost the ability to stretch or tile wallpaper in XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Copied from your other thread
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 28, 2009 4:47 AM PST

I've copied this from the other thread you started. I think its better here. I have locked that other one for you so we don't get duplication of advice or any confusion;

Mark
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<b>Regarding the Windows XP re-install post Original post</b>
by dsosnowski23 - 28/02/09 11:46

The computer that I am currently running I purchased from Dell with XP already installed and they did not supply the XP Disc. Dell adds all of there support stuff along with product specs. and configuration info.
I do however have a Generic XP Disc from my previous Computer that was not specific to that Computer. My question is if I use the Generic XP Disc to do the re-install will it mess up any of the stuff that Dell placed on the Computer or will that stuff still work fine?

Thanks in advance
Dennis

Collapse -
Confused
by dsosnowski23 / February 28, 2009 5:49 AM PST

Mark,
I'm confused as to why you locked my thread regarding re-installing Windows. The original thread was regarding no longer being able to stretch or tile the wallpaper on my Windows desktop. After posting that thread I read your thread (Posting) regarding re-installing Windows which prompted a whole other question regarding re-installing Windows. Since you locked that thread how do I get an answer to that question?

Dennis

Collapse -
"so we don't get duplication of advice or any confusion;"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2009 6:25 AM PST
In reply to: Confused

Crossposting is a fuzzy area that you don't want to get into.

Please concentrate on your discussion and not the forum nuances.
Bob

Collapse -
Why I did that.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 28, 2009 8:21 PM PST
In reply to: Confused

Hi Dennis.

You may be right.

Bob and I agree that creating more than one discussion tends to confuse people and duplicate content. I saw this discussion first, (it was created later, and so listed above the other), and when I saw the subject of your other discussion, "Regarding the Windows re-install post", which did not link to any other thread, I assumed the two were connected.

In a way they are connected. This discussion is about fixing a Windows component, but the other is about re-installing Windows. If you re-install Windows then it would seem this problem would go away.

So, we have a decision to make. I am quite happy to unlock that other thread for you, so that any guidance can be given if you want to go the whole route and re-install Windows. I would then lock this one off.

Or, if we can help you resolve 'this' problem, then perhaps that other thread is no longer needed?

We're willing to help either way, but perhaps I can forestall any further mention of the other thread by saying that your Dell is an OEM machine, and so the XP installed on there is locked to that particular computer. If the XP from that XP installation CD you have is not installed elsewhere, then you can certainly try and use it to re-install XP to this Dell, but there are likely to be issues, perhaps with Activation of the new XP install, but also with installing drivers for this particular Dell. Microsoft doesn't do drivers, and you would have to hunt those down yourself.

Any re-install of XP will wipe the previous installation completely, and you will lose everything already installed on there.

I hope that helps, and sorry for any confusion.

Mark

Collapse -
Stretch/Tile no longer working in XP
by auzcdn / April 11, 2009 8:39 AM PDT

Dennis,
I've read the thread you've started back in Feb, but could not find your resolution. I too have run into this problem the last couple of days. You may be on to something with the updates. Please help!

B:)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.