Computer Help

Resolved Question

Lost Photos

by DottieDelta / December 16, 2012 8:34 AM PST

Have mac snow leopard. Was transferring photos from i-photo to a memory stick. They are not on the stick, not in my trash and they do not appear in i-photo any longer. Does anyone know where they can be? Thanks for any help.

DottieDelta has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lost Photos
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lost Photos
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by DottieDelta

Collapse -
Scary. You wrote "transfer."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2012 8:44 AM PST
In reply to: Lost Photos

Some folk MOVE images/files to such things and the move fails and the images are lost. This is usually when folk learn why we ask them to COPY images and files so they can try again if the copy fails.

Your images are likely on your backup system. You do use Time Machine? Right?
Bob

Collapse -
Boy, do I feel dumb
by DottieDelta / December 16, 2012 11:56 AM PST

Sorry.....you are dealing with someone who is not very mac/computer savvy. I was not aware of time machine and it had not been set up. I also did not know that you should copy before trying to transfer anything. I "think" that I have located the lost photos. I searched under a clock icon for "today" and found the same number of files as lost photos. Each one reads "photo.####ipmeta".......the ####being a different number. I cannot open them and I cannot move them anywhere. They are in a format that is not recognized. I appreciate your help. All I can say is "duh" on my part. If I lose these pictures it will be such a loss and a lesson I won't soon forget. All along, I have heard that I should back up all my photos anyway in case they get lost in a computer failure. I will take care of that, but in the meantime, I sure wish I could find those 111 lost photos. Again, thanks!!

Collapse -
The ipmeta does not look useful.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2012 12:12 PM PST
In reply to: Boy, do I feel dumb
Collapse -
Thanks
by DottieDelta / December 16, 2012 12:38 PM PST

Tomorrow I will back up my files and then use the rebuild photo library function on iphoto. Hopefully that will find those photos. Since they are not in the trash, I am guessing that they have to be "somewhere." What a hard lesson to learn. I appreciate your help again!

Collapse -
Recovering lost photos
by jrs514 / December 17, 2012 5:54 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

I am not as experienced as Bob or Klees, but I have had my share of problems that usually they have helped me with.

Try right clicking on one of the photo files that you can't open and then click properties. At the bottom it will say "Hidden". If that is checked try unchecking it and see if you can view your photo. If you can then likely all of your photos are "hidden". Just a thought.

Collapse -
Thanks for trying.....
by DottieDelta / December 17, 2012 7:54 AM PST
In reply to: Recovering lost photos

I am pretty sure that I have located the lost photos. I searched under a clock icon for "yesterday" and found the same number of files as lost photos. Each one reads "photo.####ipmeta".......the ####being a different number for each of the photos. I cannot open them and I cannot move them anywhere. They are in a format that is not recognized. When I did as you suggested, properties is not one of the options that comes up. I know that the photos are there somewhere and that they are not in the trash. I have been reading and come up with dozens of suggestions, most of which involve buying a product. I may have to give in and call apple support. Thanks again for your offer of help. Happy

Collapse -
Beating a Dead Horse??
by DottieDelta / December 17, 2012 10:24 AM PST
In reply to: Recovering lost photos

When I got "info" on one of these lost photos this is what I found......../Users/flyer48/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Metadata Backup/Albums......anyone have any idea if I can access that and, if so, where? As always, thanks so much!!

Collapse -
beating a dead horse
by jrs514 / December 17, 2012 9:56 PM PST
In reply to: Beating a Dead Horse??

Try copying that path, then paste it into the address bar at the top of the page. Hit enter and see what you get.

Collapse -
Re: Metadata Backup
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 17, 2012 10:01 PM PST
In reply to: Beating a Dead Horse??

As Bob already said "metadata" doesn't sound like "picture". So I'm really afraid they are gone.

Kees

Collapse -
Funny...
by DottieDelta / December 17, 2012 10:51 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Metadata Backup

each one of these has a different number and they equal the number of photos that disappeared. 111 to be exact. So, that is why I assumed that they were the photos. They are not in the trash, so they have to be "somewhere".......don't they?

Collapse -
Re: funny
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 17, 2012 11:06 PM PST
In reply to: Funny...

Why not have a look at those files to see if they are pictures in stead of just assuming. Things like:
- how big they are (filesize)?
- what's the filetype?
- can you open them in your picture viewer?

Moving an item from the hard disk to a USB-stick does NOT move it to the trash, but still removes them from the hard disk.

Kees

Collapse -
Info
by DottieDelta / December 18, 2012 11:07 AM PST
In reply to: Re: funny

When I click on what I think are these photos and then click on Info, this is what I get.....

Info
General:
Kind: iPhotoSpotlightDoc
Size: 4KB ondisk(582bytes)
Where: /Users?flyer48?Pictures/iPhotoLibrary/MetadataBackup/Albums
Created: Sunday, Dec 16, 2012, 10:33pm

That is the time that I "lost" the 111 photos which matches the number of these items. I, unfortunately, cannot open them in iphoto (am guessing that is what you mean by picture viewer).

You are very kind to share your time. This kind of thing would make me crazy. I just have to be patient and have faith that they can be recovered. Thanks again and have a nice evening!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.