Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

lost permissions for iTunes after migrating to new MBP

by grimgraphix / July 24, 2010 1:30 AM PDT

MBP 2.4 ghz running 10.6.4
iTunes 9.2.1 (4)
Factory refurbished model that I have been using now for about 10 days.

OK, so I got a new macbook pro. Now, I had been keeping my iTunes library on an external HD but I decided to migrate the library over to the new computers HD by hooking up the external, and using the Add To Library to import all my tunes. I have never purchased any music from the iTunes store, but I did have some free downloads from them.

I went to get a free compilation from the iTunes store last night, and got this message...

iTunes couldn't download your purchase

You don't have write access for your iTunes media folder or a folder within it. Change permissions (in the Finder) and then chose Store > Check for available downloads

Well, I did all this, made the permissions both Read and Write in all the folders associated with the iTunes library... and still no luck. I reset the path to the library in the iTune preferences panel >advanced settings, and still no luck.

I then decided to reauthorize the account, but got this message when I entered my iTunes password...

There was an error storing your authorizations information on this computer.

The required file was not found or has a permission error. Correct this permissions problem and try again, or de authorize this computer if the permissions cannot be changed.

Now, I have found tonnes of info about this (or similar) problems on the net, but no one seems to have posted a consistent fix. Proposed solutions vary from fixing the folder permissions in the Finder (which I have done 3 or 4 times now), to messing with the media library xml file, to dragging the whole library to the desk, restarting iTunes, then importing the original library back to the rebuilt iTunes folder. I imagine that if this is a DRM issue (which I suspect it is) then that last solution won't fix the problem either.

Will doing an Archive and Reinstall solve the issue? Can I just throw away all of the DRM tainted items and regain access to my iTunes library? How would I even identify which songs are even using DRM coding?

I'm considering doing an Archive and Reinstall anyway, because this computer is acting a bit buggy. I'm not sure if this could be a hardware issue since this was a refurb model, but I haven't done all the hardware test from the OS disc yet, since I've been busy reinstalling software and libraries from my old computer.

Thanks folks, for any help you can give me on this.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: lost permissions for iTunes after migrating to new MBP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: lost permissions for iTunes after migrating to new MBP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
iTunes problem
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 24, 2010 2:01 AM PDT

I assume that you had a Mac previous to purchasing this MBP.
If this is correct, did you use the Migration Assistant to move your stuff from the old machine to the new machine, including accounts and settings?
This would have solved all your current problems.

Try this. Remove the iTunes library that is on the MBP by dragging the entire iTunes folder from your music folder onto the desktop.
Connect the external drive
Fire up iTunes and it "should" ask where the library is. Point it at the external library.
Check to see if you have the same problem as before.
If you don't, come back and we'll work on moving the library onto the MBP.

P

Collapse -
I pulled the old iTunes folder onto the desktop...
by grimgraphix / July 24, 2010 2:26 AM PDT
In reply to: iTunes problem

... restarted iTunes and it rebuilt the iTunes folder as I watched, then I tried to authorize the computer with the iTunes store, and still got the same message I mentioned earlier...

There was an error storing your authorizations information on this computer.

The required file was not found or has a permission error. Correct this permissions problem and try again, or de authorize this computer if the permissions cannot be changed.

I went to the folder in the finder, reset permissions to both "read and write" for the user and applied it to all folders inside. Restarted iTunes and still no go.

I wonder if I de-authorize the iTunes on my old G4 iBook, if this will allow the new computer to be authorized?

Collapse -
Did it ever ask where the library was?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 24, 2010 9:59 AM PDT

As this is a new (refurbished) machine, you are covered by the 90 day phone in deal.

Drop it into Apple's lap and see what they come up with

P

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for the input Peter, see my other post for solution
by grimgraphix / July 27, 2010 12:20 PM PDT
Collapse -
OK... so this solved my problem
by grimgraphix / July 27, 2010 12:18 PM PDT

I found this on MacForums...

Good news. Seems that after all the permissions work, the issue was resolved after one easy step: remove the /Users/Shared/SC Info directory and restart.

1. In the top finder bar, go to GO > Go to Folder (Shift+Cmd+G)
2. Type in "/Users/Shared/SC Info"
3. Switch to Column View if you're not in it already
4. Delete the "SC Info" folder
5. Restart

After restarting, I opened up iTunes and used my password to authorize my computer. Worked without a problem.

I had moved my original iTunes library onto the desktop, so I used the Add To Library function and reloaded all media onto my new iTunes folder. Everything went back into the folder and the iTunes remained authorized.

No problems... except... one 12 minute foreign short film I had downloaded for free from iTunes a couple years ago, will no longer play. I tried to play it and iTunes told me I was not authorized to view the movie. No big deal, I discovered it wouldn't play because I was clicking on any media I remembered getting from the iTunes Store, but I hadn't seen it since I viewed it the first time. So I threw it away. Other than that, iTunes is working perfectly.

Obviously, iTunes will work without the "SC Info" folder... but I'm not sure if I need to place an empty version back into the Users/Shared folder, and no program has seen fit to rebuild the folder either.

Anyone know what the SC Info folder does?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.