Computer Help forum

General discussion

Lost my wireless connection...

by Skittlebrain / September 28, 2010 2:49 PM PDT

I have a Dell 1450 Inspiron laptop. Today I reformatted it and before I did,I was able to get online just fine. After reinstalling Windows Vista I cannot get online. I receive a message saying there's no wireless connection software on my computer. Before I networked from my desktop computer in the other part of the house,but my laptop won't detect any other connections due to it saying there's no wireless software on my computer. I've no idea what to do. The decison to format my laptop was one due to a friend who had borrowed it for several months and I wanted to get everything off of it,there was nothing wrong with my laptop at all. I sincerely hope someone can help me with this problem,thanks so much.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lost my wireless connection...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lost my wireless connection...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Format and intall....
by Papa Echo / September 28, 2010 10:49 PM PDT

... or did you use some recovery disc ? Reinstalling the OS is only part of the process... you need drivers, and for wireless, you need to install the drivers for your wireless adaptor....

Collapse -
by Skittlebrain / September 28, 2010 11:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Format and intall....

I used the disks that came with my laptop. I reinstalled the drivers with the disk that came with my laptop for it,the media disk,word,everything that came with it,I used.

Collapse -
Try giving us the EXACT message ...
by Edward ODaniel / September 29, 2010 1:15 AM PDT

as paraphrasing seldom works well when attempting to discover actual cause.

Normally messages of this type indicate a failure to install the necessary driver. You say you installed everything so it might not be the lack of a driver but please download and make use of PC Wizard which will will tell you the name of your wireless adapter and might even indicate the driver in use. This would help in locating a driver.

you could also make use of the Dell Service Tag on a dataplate or sticker on the bottom of the laptop and locate the necessary driver for the installed wireless adapter on the Dell web site.

Collapse -
For Dell you have ONE MORE THING.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2010 1:23 AM PDT

I read your replies and you never wrote about installing Dell's QUICKSET software. If this is missing I find most Dells can't enable the wifi.

Collapse -
exact error message is
by Skittlebrain / September 29, 2010 2:06 AM PDT

"this computer does not have a wireless network adapter installed and configured Install wireless networking hardware and verify that the correct drivers are loaded"
I have no idea what to do,what to get and so on. As for the Quickset software,I dont remember seeing anything like that but will go back and look in my box of things that came with the laptop. I cant get online to download any drivers because I cant get online with my laptop that needs them

Collapse -
Get quickset
by Willy / September 29, 2010 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: exact error message is

Goto the Dell support website. Using your S/N# or service tag#, enter it and it will proceed to the proper support area. Check the s/w downloads and find the "Quickset" this will be the proper s/w you need. If you can't use your laptop, then another PC using the #'s from your laptop tags to ascclomphish this task. Once in hand, install the s/w. If this is the cause, it should work afterwards. good luck

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Sounds as if
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2010 3:05 AM PDT
In reply to: exact error message is

Some driver or QUICKSET was left out of the install. Read the reply above about the tag number and what I do with that is to put said drivers and QUICKSET on some memory stick or CD to get it to the machine with troubles.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.