Computer Help forum

General discussion

Lost my volume control icon & my sound

by Jaspell / December 23, 2003 2:51 AM PST

I am running Windows 98SE on a Pentium II 300 machine. I have been using the computer to play MP3 files successfully for some time now. All of sudden, one day my volume control Icon disappeared from my task bar and I was no longer able to get ANY sound out of the computer. I brought up the volume controls from control panel but those all appear ok, in other words I haven't inadvertantly muted anything. I have not added or taken out any new hardware and the soundcard is the one that came with the machine. (I also swapped out the speakers but that did nothing) Any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lost my volume control icon & my sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lost my volume control icon & my sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Lost my volume control icon & my sound
by Jerry G. / December 23, 2003 3:05 AM PST

Click on Start, Settings, and Control Panel. In side of the control panel window, click on Sounds And Audio Devices, or the eqivelent. In this utility should be a place to put a check mark that will allow the volume control icon to appear in the lower right tool bar.

Collapse -
Re:Lost my volume control icon & my sound
by Jaspell / December 23, 2003 4:01 AM PST

the algorythm in W98 doesn't flow like that. Any other ideas?

Collapse -
Jaspell....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 24, 2003 3:36 AM PST

Your problem may be more serious than simply placing the icon back on the system tray, but in Windows 98, in the Control Panel, double click the "Multimedia" icon, (I think). Under the "Sounds" tab, there should be a box to CHECK which will place the icon back in the System Tray.

If that doesn't get it done, I would remove the sound card from the Device Manager, restart the computer and have Windows "re-recognize" the card and reinstall the software. (Restart the computer into "Safe Mode", then RIGHT click on "My Computer", choose "Properties", then click on the "Device Manager" tab. When that loads, click on the + sign next to "Sound, Video, and Game Controllers" and you specific sound card should be displayed. Click once on the specific sound card device to highlight it, then click on the "Remove" button. (If there are duplicates of the card listed, remove them all)

Now turn off the computer, but before restarting, take the case cover of the machine and unseat, then reseat the card. This should help if there are any bad connections. After putting the cover back on, restart the machine and Windows should recognize the sound card, reinstall the sound drivers, and hopefully things work correctly now.

It would also help us to know the specific sound card you are using. After doing the reinstall, it would be best to visit the card manufacturer's website and update to the newest drivers.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.