Computer Help forum

General discussion

Lost my Start Menu button, taskbar and clock. XP Pro.

by Joelligon2002 / June 27, 2010 12:46 PM PDT

See Subject. What did I do wrong? How do I get them back. Makes it hard to shut down etc...
My wife said you are a whole bunch of computer genius's That true?
She said you could fix anything. That true?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lost my Start Menu button, taskbar and clock. XP Pro.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lost my Start Menu button, taskbar and clock. XP Pro.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Lost my Start Menu button, taskbar and clock. XP Pro.
by Tufenuf / June 27, 2010 2:06 PM PDT

Joe, Press the Alt/Ctrl/Del keys at the same time to bring up the Task Manager, click File>New Task (Run) then type in explorer.exe and click OK.

Collapse -
More info
by Tufenuf / June 27, 2010 2:17 PM PDT

Joe, If my previous suggestion doesn't
correct the problem go to the link below and scroll down to line 195 (right column) and download the "Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar" vbs file fix.

To use the VBS Files: Download .vbs file and save it to your hard drive (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double
click the vbs file. You will be prompted when the script is done.

Collapse -
Hey! It worked.
by Joelligon2002 / June 28, 2010 1:09 AM PDT

I had to do it several times, it finally stayed long enough to right click on the task bar and change options to leave it on top all the time. BUT: I still have a blue pane about 2 inches wide all down the left hand side of the screen, listing Folder Tasks, Other Places, and Details. How can I get rid of it?

Collapse -
Re: Hey! It worked.
by Tufenuf / June 28, 2010 1:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Hey! It worked.

Joe, Go to the link below and scroll down to line 15 (left column) to download the "Remove Common Tasks from the Desktop" reg file fix. Download the .reg file and save it to your hard drive (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

Your problem will be corrected.

Collapse -
(NT) Joe, Have you tried the fix I posted?
by Tufenuf / June 29, 2010 11:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Hey! It worked.
Collapse -
Have I tried it
by Joelligon2002 / June 30, 2010 2:25 AM PDT

I looked at it and it didn't work for me. I couldn't import it!
No big problem tho, I can put up with the pane on the left.
Thanks tufenuf

Collapse -
This fix should work.
by Tufenuf / June 30, 2010 2:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Have I tried it
Collapse -
You seem to have a thorough corrupted windows installation.
by LucJPatenaude / June 30, 2010 3:12 AM PDT

For a permanent and hassle-free solution, insert your copy of the O.S. disk in your CD/DVD reader drive and when the main setup window shows up, select "Repair Current Installation of Windows".

Wait until it tells you that the O.S.'s installation is, now, fully recovered.

Go to's Download page and, Download + Install Service Pack 2. Do a thorough Clean Disk + Defrag Disk of your main C: Hard Drive. Use the new Windows Update feature for downloading and auto-install all the new updates/upgrades offered by the Microsoft Update's database.

Now, from here, check if your system can handle the very hefty Service Pack 3 from 2008's time. If yes, download and install at your leisure. Clean Disk + Defrag Disk again. Continue the windows update's procedure until your system will be fully up-to-date.

Purchasing a Tune-up program is highly advisable. It will keep your system in a constant stable status.

I know, it seems like a lot of work and wasted time in front of your Monitor screen but, in the end, you will feel the confidence that you will not have these issues again. Less, having to buy a complete new machine, all over, again.

Collapse -

OK. I'll sure give it a try. Be Thurs some time before I can let you know how it went. Thanks, LJP

Collapse -
It is all OK now thanks
by Joelligon2002 / July 1, 2010 2:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Corruption

For tufenuf, LJP,
I did the zipped file, it worked, Computer is now humming right along, doing good. I do have a program by Avanquest, Fix-It Utilities Pro. for keeping it all together, and after some initial difficulties, it too seems to be working OK.
Thanks a bunch for your help. See original post - My wife was right.

Collapse -
(NT) Glad it's fixed & Thanks for posting back.
by Tufenuf / July 1, 2010 11:27 PM PDT
Collapse -
To find the taskbar
by moon333 / July 1, 2010 2:11 PM PDT

If you hold your mouse cursor over the spot where your taskbar used to be, then it should magic! When it appears, right-click on it, then go to 'Properties'. A new small window will appear. On the 'Taskbar' tab, look for "Auto-hide the taskbar" and uncheck that box to make your taskbar stop disappearing.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.