Windows 7 forum

Question

Lost all my favourites

by quests1 / April 27, 2012 5:36 AM PDT

Hi guys, I downloaded a program, did not like the layout, so removed it via control panel, and re-booted only to find out that it has removed all my favourites and internet history. I have gone back 24 hours, but still not there. I am using Windows 7 on a HP laptop Pavilion dv6

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lost all my favourites
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lost all my favourites
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Which program?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 27, 2012 9:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Lost all my favourites

Which program and where did you download it from?

If IE Favorites have gone then there is little that can be done. To make sure there are no favorites you can check the C:\Users\{Username}\Favorites , where {Username} is the name of the account you are logged into Windows with.

If there is nothing there you can import from your backup.

Mark

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
FunWebProducts
by quests1 / April 27, 2012 9:11 PM PDT

This is the program that has embeded itself in my laptop somehow. I pulled down a freeware edition of Scrabble, and when I opened it up, messages came on the screen and then the game shut down. I then removed what I thought was the offending program only to find that I have FunWebProducts which has deleted all my favourites and my browsing history as well, and Spybot finds it, but says I need administrative rights to remove it. I am the administrator, it is only me that uses this laptop. So I am using Windows 7, Firefox to browse, plus Windows Security Essentials as the antivirus program. Any help or advice would be very helpful.

Collapse -
Some options to try
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 27, 2012 9:30 PM PDT
In reply to: FunWebProducts

Did you search for that folder location I gave you? If so, what did you find?

If there was nothing there then I would try these options;

1] First, try a System Restore back to a date before you installed this freeware software. Go to the Start button and type into the search box, System Restore and click the first option in the list. Find a date before this occurred and restore your system back to then. I am not hopeful that this will restore your Favorites as a System Restore does not generally affect personal files and data.

2] Whether that works or not, I would then scan with your Microsoft Security Essentials anti-virus scanner, a full scan. Make sure that Spybot's background scanner called TeaTimer is not running and keep that disabled.

3] Also, download, install, then run to update the free versions of Malwarebytes Anti-malware and SUPERAntiSpyware. After they are both updated, run Full Scans with both, one after the other.

See how you get on with those options.

Mark

Collapse -
Done all that
by quests1 / April 28, 2012 12:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Some options to try

Mark, have done a system restore back 24 hours, no change. Ran Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus scanner, no change. I have been using Spybot for some years now and it has found the program, but it says it cannot uninstall as it needs administrative rights to remove it, but as I said in my earlier posting, I am the administrator.

Collapse -
How to remove FunWebProducts
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 28, 2012 9:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Done all that

I would follow the guidance in the link below to remove FunWebProducts;
http://www.pchell.com/support/mywebsearch.shtml

That link also tells that FunWebProducts is also a part of "My Web Search" so you may be looking for other titles to remove besides FWP.

If that does not find your Favorites then I fear they are gone.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: administrative rights
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 28, 2012 9:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Done all that

That's confusing indeed. Even if you are an administrator, you only have limited administrative rights.

So find the exe in Windows Explorer or My Computer, right click and choose "Run as administrator". Then it runs with full administrative rights. It might be able to do the removing then. Worth a try.

Kees

Collapse -
Run as Administrator
by quests1 / April 29, 2012 12:38 AM PDT

Kees,
I have just done this, but it still says the same that I need to be the administrator even after I re-set explorer. Okay, still there so will have to rethink. Thanks anyway.

Collapse -
Then back to the link I provided.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 29, 2012 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Run as Administrator

How did you get on with that?

Mark

Collapse -
Sorted
by quests1 / April 30, 2012 12:44 AM PDT

Mark,

The information from the link did not remove it so I had to sit with it for about four hours removing each link, and there were hundreds in the end. Anyway, hopefully all sorted now. Many thanks for the advice.

Collapse -
Glad you got it sorted
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 30, 2012 4:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorted

and thank you for reporting back to tell us.

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
store on the cloud, save yourself the headache :)
by finchcody / May 20, 2013 9:19 PM PDT

I know it's not the exact solution you needed, but srsly store it on some site online, access it from anywhere and its always safe and saves you the headache.

try favsync.com for example, it does that very well, but there are more services.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.